3DCoat Forums

Steampunk TriTruck

Vladukenzo

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Done :)

Big thanks! I love 3d Coat. It is freaking awesome guys! You have made a big work to program it. Everything works fine and there is still a chance to develop. One thing that i admit is that 3dCoat is a soft that tries to arrange and organize all your knowledge in one certain place. This is the main goal of Coat. Thank you guys! =)

Edited by Vladukenzo

• Advanced Member

Now my rims are kind of simplified. I think that previous concept was over detailed. 

Thre result i get now is by using simple retopo primitive for rim and instances mirrored 48/2 times using radial symmetry/ Extra details were added later on using liveclay for bolts and voxel exrusion for bends. Curves vere used on ribs to refine edges.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Edited by Vladukenzo
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Now started gathering details in 3ds max. Didnt get how to properly set materials. So i will stick to painting. Does anybody know how to make vray to render it properly? =)

Screenshot_4.png

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I have some disappointing news. One of my two computers is down. So i have to make my work on the weak one with only 4gb ram. I increased hard drive usage. It helped. But not at all. I will ask my boss  for permission to finish my contest at work in last  evening and Saturday =) What i do is : i split less complex previous files into parts to make it possible to work comfortably =)

Edited by Vladukenzo

• Advanced Member

I figured out how i should do further work: i waited the file to open and started deleting voxel layers i wave already baked. It gave me opportunity to be more flexible on such cheap pc. Hopefully, i have all versions of files saved separately on flash drives and mail.ru cloud =)

• Advanced Member

Chosen one of the previous files (last was Tritruck 41) and started deleting already baked layers. The one was file called Tritruck_40. It was 1.200 mb, The current simplified version is now 750 mb only.  I will ask for  permission from my boss to finish my model at time. I will ask him to let me to use our render farm for contest needs. So let us see where it takes us =)

Now i will stick to baking and deleting all layers that i have already baked. The image you see is from paint room.

Screenshot_53.png

Edited by Vladukenzo
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Baking and deleting "unnecessary" layers WIP (Sarcasm) =)

It seems very funny when i go to work and open this file on 2k computer. What i do now is preparing ground to paint it as quickly as i can at once. It is not all for today.

The last thing that i want to show in this post areayers order in paint room and baking conditions.

1.I make layer group for each every thing i bake. Sometimes you dont need to be that frantic about baking objects one after another. For example, i have several retopo groups that represent wings. So i bake them together at once. After baking i delete color maps from the layers stack. And become painting from zero

2.Naming conditions are very strict. Just look at the picture. It has: GROUPNAME_MATERIALTYPE_COLOR_NUMBER. So stay calm and have patience to name it correctly.

3. Do not place AO and Normal maps inside layer groups. These layers are overwritten automatically. if you do so, you will be getting overshadowed areas.

4. Retopo groups and UV maps need to have the same names. Retopo groups are named after the main purpose of the thing you want to bake. Then, after that you can add any other characteristic such as size or situation. 

5. UV islands that are not so important, can be scaled down a lot. For instance, i lowered down resolution of places that are in constant shadow to increase resolution where it is needed the most. Often it helps me to bake less resolutions having the same results. Lower part of the is proudly 2K =)

Screenshot_54.png

Screenshot_55.png

Screenshot_56.png

Screenshot_57.png

• Like 1