3D Coat Forums

Marking geometry for voxel extrusion

img-2016-06-11-23-29-30.png

img-2016-06-11-23-37-48.png

Edited by Vladukenzo
  • Like 2

Just now, Vladukenzo said:

In the last few images i have used a primitive from another application to separate it into several parts. After that  i have used only 3d coat tools. Ill keep doing that untill there will be  2/3 or more done in Coat.

That's cool. I just wanted to let you know, so that in the event your entry is one of the finalists, it doesn't receive negative marks for limited work done in the app. Some things are more easily done in 3D Coat and some in a good polymodeler. I'm a Max user, myself, and I know how nice some of the tools are in it. If I were modeling a vehicle, I would probably use 3ds Max at least for the body, where polygonal modeling gives you better control of the little nuances in shape. Other things are much easier done in 3D Coat, mainly because you don't have to get caught in the topology piddling trap. Every time I model in Max, I catch myself piddling needlessly with verts/edges/polys just to keep the model looking clean while I'm constructing the model.

No piddling with those in 3D Coat, and for a competition like this, that can be a real plus, because, IIRC, you do not have to retopologize (unless you wish to), and a lot of modeling tasks are much easier/faster in 3D Coat, when Retopology isn't needed. Make sure to use the latest build (4.5.40) as there are now options in the Sculpt room, under the Geometry tab, to quickly create a copy of the VISIBLE retopo mesh to the sculpt workspace. This lets you use the Polymodeling tools in the Retopo Room, right on top of the voxel object (no snapping to the surface is necessary) and then bring a copy into the Sculpt room. You might even assign a hotkey to that function, to make the workflow very efficient.

I mention this because I have been asking Andrew for a long time to add the SHIFT key extrude capability, from 3ds Max, to the Retopo room (he's been adding tools there recently to make 3D Coat more and more of a capable polymodling asset). When using gizmos in 3D Coat, the SHIFT key allows you to move only the Transofrm gizmo, on the fly...this is much easier than trying to use the Working Pivot in 3ds Max, and 3D Coat's gizmo has MOVE, SCALE, and ROTATE all built into the same gizmo. The downside, right now is that it doesn't yet offer the ability to move along 2 axis simultaneously. But it does have an inner ring to move freely in Screen Space.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

That's cool. I just wanted to let you know, so that in the event your entry is one of the finalists, it doesn't receive negative marks for limited work done in the app. Some things are more easily done in 3D Coat and some in a good polymodeler. I'm a Max user, myself, and I know how nice some of the tools are in it. If I were modeling a vehicle, I would probably use 3ds Max at least for the body, where polygonal modeling gives you better control of the little nuances in shape. Other things are much easier done in 3D Coat, mainly because you don't have to get caught in the topology piddling trap. Every time I model in Max, I catch myself piddling needlessly with verts/edges/polys just to keep the model looking clean while I'm constructing the model.

No piddling with those in 3D Coat, and for a competition like this, that can be a real plus, because, IIRC, you do not have to retopologize (unless you wish to), and a lot of modeling tasks are much easier/faster in 3D Coat, when Retopology isn't needed. Make sure to use the latest build (4.5.40) as there are now options in the Sculpt room, under the Geometry tab, to quickly create a copy of the VISIBLE retopo mesh to the sculpt workspace. This lets you use the Polymodeling tools in the Retopo Room, right on top of the voxel object (no snapping to the surface is necessary) and then bring a copy into the Sculpt room. You might even assign a hotkey to that function, to make the workflow very efficient.

I mention this because I have been asking Andrew for a long time to add the SHIFT key extrude capability, from 3ds Max, to the Retopo room (he's been adding tools there recently to make 3D Coat more and more of a capable polymodling asset). When using gizmos in 3D Coat, the SHIFT key allows you to move only the Transofrm gizmo, on the fly...this is much easier than trying to use the Working Pivot in 3ds Max, and 3D Coat's gizmo has MOVE, SCALE, and ROTATE all built into the same gizmo. The downside, right now is that it doesn't yet offer the ability to move along 2 axis simultaneously. But it does have an inner ring to move freely in Screen Space.

Thanks a lot. I do know and use this approach a lot. And it is not as disappointing as it was before. I admit now a am in love with extrude function in retopo =)

• Like 1

Disregard the previous video link. Somehow, it points to the whole Retopo playlist, rather than the specific video I linked to. I was trying to share the Transform Tool, and how some of that on-the-fly extrusion functionality you have in 3ds Max, you now have in the (Retopo) Transform tool.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Disregard the previous video link. Somehow, it points to the whole Retopo playlist, rather than the specific video I linked to. I was trying to share the Transform Tool, and how some of that on-the-fly extrusion functionality you have in 3ds Max, you now have in the (Retopo) Transform tool.

I use this a lot but when i embed retopo mesh into the voxel room it gives me many unnesessary layers. And it is preeety disappointing/ Do you know how to get rid f that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vladukenzo said:

I use this a lot but when i embed retopo mesh into the voxel room it gives me many unnesessary layers. And it is preeety disappointing/ Do you know how to get rid f that?

It shouldn't do that in 4.5.40. I just recorded a quick test with that build. It has multiple Retopo layers, that are hidden, in the video.

http://www.screencast.com/t/X4Xzd06y6N1O

It did before, when using the IMPORT tool > Pick from Retopo. But I reported that to him and I believe he fixed it in that build.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

But I reported that to him and I believe he fixed it in that build.

No way! =) It finally works!. I am happy.

• Like 1

It comes with trouble when you add tubes in voxel mode. Geometry comes over detailed so i need to do extra retopo work or resampling

untill it gets better. 

img-2016-06-12-15-40-55.png

img-2016-06-12-15-28-04.png

Edited by Vladukenzo
  • Like 2

Now getting this result after some optimisations and discoveries =) Radial symmetry is fantastic! =)

One thing that is really nesessary is to decimate each detail after finishing. And if you lucky you can lower down resolution 2 or even four times without loosing details !

img-2016-06-12-17-39-08.png

img-2016-06-12-17-46-51.png

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Tony Nemo said:

For me, you are navigating in new territory and I'll be glad to see where it takes us.

Why do you think so? Am i doing something special? 

Edited by Vladukenzo

I've read on this forum that the expanded tool set was capable of these functions but I haven't seen examples in the forum like yours. So, for me, yes, that's special.

The new toolset is a thing that we needed much earlier. I think that sculpting tools are now well developed. Pilgway has to make something to their poly modeling and multi layered shadering while sculpting

img-2016-06-12-22-28-33.png

img-2016-06-12-22-36-18.png

Splendid work, thus far, and one of my favorites. It's looking like this will be one of the finalist entries, IMO. Keep it up. :good2:

17 hours ago, Vladukenzo said:

Now getting this result after some optimisations and discoveries =) Radial symmetry is fantastic! =)

One thing that is really nesessary is to decimate each detail after finishing. And if you lucky you can lower down resolution 2 or even four times without loosing details !

I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but for scene optimization purposes, rather than using Radial symmetry to create lots of COPIES, you can turn Radial Symmetry on > set the number of instances and with the INSTANCER tool active, click NEW MIRRORED INSTANCE.

There are also some new primitives for bolts and such, with parameters for varying the threads. Also, some of the main primitives now have Fillets for beveling, and Sectional controls to trim parts of the primitive. For example, you could use the Cylinder primitive to create quick half-circles, and apply a fillet to it at the same time.

Just thought that might help on a project like this.

instance.jpg

primitives.jpg

• Like 2

Spliting geometry to get a better retopoogy. I also cut unnesessary geometry untill it looks like this. I also fill cavities inside interior because it appeared when i was working inaccuratly

Some geometry might be merged together without booleans to get retopology. Time will show

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

• Like 2

Admit i had to make my geometry in a smaller pieces before.  This is a retopology of the roof that cost me 45 minutes. I will try to optimise the process.

I also want to mention that it is nesessary to save your reopo mesh elsewhere before switching to another. The best way is to drag it inside models list from retopo meshes list

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

• Like 3

One thing that i want to mention is : try to decimate more accurately. Do not cut corners with decimation. I have already made this mistake. So i will have to use fill tool and others to make back side of last object more flat. i will also use some crease brushes to sharpen edges between top and interior

• Like 1