3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Hey everyone, new and stuff, and wanting to know if there is this tool available for general sculpts (cage transform a la primitives)

motrJR

Go to solution Solved by Tony Nemo,

Hi everyone. I hope I'll become a regular fixture around here as that would mean I'll have succeeded on learning the program and achieving earning some kind of a living doing 3D...

I'm really liking 3D Coat for several reasons more than I did my couple plus weeks trying out Zbrush, for a lot of reasons, mainly interface but also general feel of interaction as well as aesthetic of the sculptures produced (I tend to like certain "feels" more than the ones Zbrush tends to encourage). But I also realize that the 3D Coat sculpt workflow takes a bit more intention toward finality in order to preserve hard edges in the end and that's going to be a personal challenge that's going to stretch me. I welcome it though. 

Anyway, I've been watching a lot of tutorials (unfortunately I tend to hate and/or be extremely picky about tutorials but that's another story). But I'm in love with the primitive objects cage tool and I was ecstatic to find out that 3D Coat had such an intuitive means of manipulation in that regard. I always wanted something more accurate like it and the nearest I've used was that wheel-scrolling curve changing thing for multiple edge-loops in Blender. Of course that's nothing like it as far as flexibility. But I am VERY green and have quite limited experience, so there might be something more out there, but I did recently watch a Zmodeler "speedsculpt" where somebody struggled with a part that would have been perfect for the cage (...to the point that at the end somebody else commented on the trouble they had with it) that the cage would have eliminated the trouble entirely.

I do have a question though: Is there such a tool for warping a voxel sculpt, just in general? If not that's a real shame as it would come really in handy in my way of sculpting things (at least as I foresee it...). I figure it would be under the Adjust section if there were but I don't see it. I realize that Pose does something similar but as I understand it it's more of a one part at a time effectively and I'd want something that could handle the whole enchilada, well... exactly like that cage tool could do.

TL;DR: I would love to know if there is a cage-tool equivalent for manipulating sculpts like the option you have when placing a primitive.

If not I'm going to make a topic for it in requested features.

(EDIT: I also realize that this might be too intense of an operation in some cases perhaps, and that is why it might be relegated to primitives. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask though ;))

Principal Voxel tools for "warping" would be the Move tool and the Pose tool. The Pose tool has been compared to the Swiss Army Knife for it's multiple uses.

That is exactly it. With your response I was able to quickly find the specific tutorial without wasting more time than necessary. That was the last major piece I needed to get up and running with my contest piece. Thank you so much! 

Just wanted to add that I had previously sat through a pose tutorial and all I saw was a mask (looking back I think that brush/pen-mask part was the point) and scale and rotate thing happen essentially. Due to it and the name I was under the impression it was the Zbrush equivalent of the transpose tool, which to my limited knowledge cannot function *so* dynamically (maybe I just don't know though). Love the 3D Coat cage thing. Naturally intuitive. I just got myself personally acquainted with it and though it took a little bit to get use to, with backface and symmetry settings, it was everything I hoped for. Love it!