3DCoat Forums

Forum Updates

Looks like the 3D-Coat forums are being updated silently in the background even as I'm writing this.

Webmaster, which version of IP.Board have you updated to?

Cheers,

AgentSam

Edited by AgentSam

@Carlosan: Does your own post look like this on your screen?

fYxiZbk.png

EDIT: Noticed you just fixed your post... now it looks normal. (The picture above no longer reflects the latest situation.)

Edited by AgentSam
Updated to reflect current status...

Looks like the new version supports BB-code directly, without having to switch to BB-Code mode.

I wonder what new BB-code tags are supported... Also, is the new version fully backwards compatible with the previous version?

@Carlosan: OK, no worries, I'm sure he's doing his best.

He should propably reset or delete some of the bug reports concerning forums, on the Mantis website too. (Although there's only one, and it was reported by me a few weeks ago. Now that report is no longer valid, because everything has changed.)

One additional question comes to mind...

Does the webmaster intend to restore the legacy "Dark 3D-Coat Theme", which was available in the old forum version? I loved that dark theme.

Cheers,

AgentSam

• Like 1

@Tony:

I sort of understand if the Webmaster doesn't want to implement additional themes, because it will require more maintenance, and there are other problems with the themes also.. One of which is "font colors".. the rich text editor allows users to set background and foreground colors for the text that they write, and if someone uses the light theme, but sets a dark font color, then people using the dark theme will be having a hard time seeing that text... And vice versa.

But - I don't think I could live without the dark theme (this bright color hurts my eyes), so I'm considering implementing some custom dark forum styles as a Greasemonkey script that anyone can install and use if they like.

Cheers,

AgentSam

Applying the attached stylesheet will give you the following.

t7wSRZS.png

I didn't remember exactly what the old dark-theme looked like, so I just tried to get it as close to it as possible.

This was tested in Firefox. To apply the user style-sheet, you need to save the attached .CSS as "userContent.css" into a "Chrome" subfolder inside your Firefox profile folder.

Note: This was just a quick fix for my personal use; and I'm sure I didn't catch all of the new IP.Board color-definitions yet. It may be better to wait for the official Dark-Theme. This is just for those people who know what they're doing.

Cheers,
AgentSam

userContent.css

• Advanced Member
39 minutes ago, webmaster said:

I have installed dark theme - Titanium 4x. You can choose it at the bottom of the page.

Much appreciated, easy to apply and much easier on the eye

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
38 minutes ago, webmaster said:

I have installed dark theme - Titanium 4x. You can choose it at the bottom of the page.

Please make dark theme the default, because bright white is incredibly hard on the eyes. It is why more and more CG apps are going with a darker grey theme. More light blasting the eyes punishes the eyes when you are sitting behind a monitor all day. AJZ had an awesome theme. Dark Grey with the accessories in Teal like the rest of the website.

• Like 2

This new version of IP.Board is great! My thanks to the webmaster for doing the update.

There are so many small things that make this version better; like that visual separator between read and unread content.

gjFVOCt.png

The new "Activity" displays are pretty decent also...

NTHX80p.png

However, I just had to minimize some of those margins and padding, because they were just crazy - so much empty space taking up my screen real-estate. Just had to.

But all in all, I have to say this forum update was worth it from the end-user perspective.

Cheers,
AgentSam

QUESTION: Is it possible to limit the size of images when posting?

For example, when posting screenshots using embedded IMGUR links, the images look huge in the post. It would be nice to be able to scale them down a bit; in a way that they are shown smaller in the posting, but become larger/fullsize when clicked.

Can this be done? Without using the built-in attachment feature, which has a limited size quota per user.

Cheers,
AgentSam

QUESTION: Is it possible to limit the size of images when posting?

For example, when posting screenshots using embedded IMGUR links, the images look huge in the post. It would be nice to be able to scale them down a bit; in a way that they are shown smaller in the posting, but become larger/fullsize when clicked.

Can this be done? Without using the built-in attachment feature, which has a limited size quota per user.

Cheers,
AgentSam

Please post here some big screenshots using embedded IMGUR links. Thanks.

• Advanced Member

my thoughts on the web page layout. I would like to be able to collapse the Images, Topics, and Post  headers.  The  Topics and Post  Headers  I don't need at all. Having the same information  in 3 different areas is redundant . thank you for the dark theme :D

36 minutes ago, Ballistic_Tension said:

My thoughts on the web page layout. I would like to be able to collapse the Images, Topics, and Post  headers.  The Topics and Post  Headers I don't need at all. Having the same information  in 3 different areas is redundant . thank you for the dark theme :D

I think you just got your wish granted... Because I can no longer see the "5 Latest Topics" and "5 Latest Posts" panels at all. And I agree they were a bit redundant, because the easiest way to check for latest content is still by using the "Unread Content" stream, which is what I use all the time.

The Images banner should be collapsable.

If I remember correctly, in the old V3 forums, the latest Topics and latest Posts panels were collapsable.. (there was a triangle button that collapsed the entire side-panel section).

Edited by AgentSam

@webmaster:

There's something weird going on with the quote you used earlier.

Take a look:

cZ7zQI7.png

There are a couple of easy ways to fix it...

Either set max-width to 100%:

.ipsType_richText .ipsContained {
    max-width: 100%;
}

Or enable scroll bars on overflow, in the container:

ipsQuote_contents {
  overflow: scroll !important;
}

Edited by AgentSam

@Carlosan

Yepp, it will look normal, when viewed with a browser on a desktop computer. But try using a mobile device and turn the screen to portrait orientation. The "responsive mobile layout" is enabled only when the browser screen width is reduced, like it is on many mobile devices, or if you manually make the browser window smaller in width on a desktop computer.

Cheers,
AgentSam

Edited by AgentSam
Added @ prefix to post

@webmaster:

Please post here some big screenshots using embedded IMGUR links. Thanks.

That's a rather general request. =) Did you want me to show you some examples of what I was talking about, when I wrote:

Is it possible to limit the size of images when posting?

Well, let me clarify, I already know about the automatic image scaling (max-width: 100%) and lightboxing that IP.Board implements.

I was asking, can I limit the width of linked images manually, for example, by using BB-code tags with attributes, like:

[img width={width} height={height} ...]{url}[/img]

Because - sometimes the linked images look quite large, especially since the IP.Board scales to 100% width...

So, is there any way to set the image width manually when adding image links to a post? (Of course, without having to resize the original image bitmap!)

Cheers,
AgentSam

Edited by AgentSam

Ever since the update, every single page I visit pops up a "would you like to receive notifications from this site", and I can't seem to turn it off. :(

As a side note; Why are "Contributor" and "Moderator" titles in blue, but not "Applink Developer" ?