3DCoat Forums

A Multi-Themed/Purpose Vehicle

motrJR

So I'm a total 3D Coat newbie (and in a large way 3D modeling in general too..). Tried it before and couldn't get the hang of it (or Zbrush for that matter). Was trying Zbrush again, and this time getting along quite good, happened upon this contest cause I got a feeling, wanting to do something more unique, etc. Saw it, got excited and instantly jumped tracks!!

Now here comes the challenge. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Nothing I want to share yet but I do have a design I LOVE - but I couldn't have possibly made a more difficult one for a beginner. but that's okay. It's worth doing and I can gratefully say that I have a lot time. I just hope it will be enough!

So far I am doing some polygon modeling in Blender and will be doing the sculpting and painting in 3D Coat of course.

Hope to have something to show soon.  

I've finally gotten done -for the most part- with the very custom-geometry/shaped particular part I've been working on in Blender. Turned out good -like I wanted it to, I'm happy with the result...

I am working off a sketch but I thought it'd be more fun to post the odd piece by piece as it came together for a little added fun & wonder, letting its assembly slowly reveal what it is as it comes along. (I'll post the sketch later on down the line just for comparison.)

One thing is for sure though: I need to hurry up because at this rate I will be halfway done by the deadline. Thankfully quite a bit of the rest of it consists of more general shapes and that part, at least, should fly by in comparison. 

motrJR_cpp_001_zpsbbaadxk3.pngmotrJR_cpp_002_zpsg5gdkuel.pngj

Only wondering (and I posted in the newbie section about this): I did subdivided this maybe one too many times exporting from Blender and brought it in as a surface sculpt. It's around 2.3 mil triangles. Will this be a problem or should I be able to hide it and work on the other layers/parts without issue? The rest's geometry will A LOT be less tightly controlled... just fyi, if that's a big factor for consideration (that will be details only where needed).

And sorry if I posted pictures wrong as I'm new with this and could only use the insert from URL option. Guess it works, but I'd rather do the tiny pics thing that you have to click on.

Edited by motrJR

• 2 weeks later...

Moving along...

I switched the object to voxels after getting over my fear of the new thing... added some planned parts with 3DC, and did the jaw-pincher in Blender (after a few days & tries [still learning that too, box-modelling with a subdivision modifier is WAY cooler than I initially thought ;)]).

motrJR_cpp_003_zpstfwuofg5.pngmotrJR_cpp_004_zps6ozjossw.png

Also I had to do something else for a few days, but I'm getting back to it now. Hopefully.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Time to put up!

motrJR_cpp_005_zpstkwobmtq.png

So there's my concept...

motrJR_cpp_006_zps0izqzty6.png

motrJR_cpp_007_zpszeetannm.png

Learning the software...

motrJR_cpp_008_zpsqyqqxgdr.png

motrJR_cpp_009_zpsn5lzteou.png

motrJR_cpp_010_zpsypqvi0zs.png

Really didn't know what I was doing... (couldn't quite figure out how to make the forms I imagined...)

Edited by motrJR
added in the last parentheses bit
  • Like 3

motrJR_cpp_011_zpsnzb0brjg.png

motrJR_cpp_012_zpsc2b2tpel.png

Here I finally started to figure it out :D...

motrJR_cpp_015_zpsxgclvp7u.png

motrJR_cpp_016_zpscenmypop.png

Instancer makes things easier with jumbled messes and custom geometries I figured out...

motrJR_cpp_018_zpsuqke9m2b.png

motrJR_cpp_088_2_zpsnfnrt1st.png

And here I am today! ....my very first "completed" model (I still have some things I want to add, but I am happy with the detail and the dynamics possibilities)!

Now it's time to do my first retopo, baking, texturing, rendering and everything! Just hope to God I can pull it off... :blink:

Edited by motrJR
words
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Ballistic_Tension said:

a very cool design . Looks as if it could be on land or in water . Unless its a triple threat with wings tucked in its back like a ladybug lol. 

Thanks! Actually yeah, it was originally intended it to be land, air, and sea-worthy (I'm going to put the wing-cloth material on the arms in a bit ...and it's supposed to have a second set of supplementary wings in addition to the ones on the main arms [but Idk if I'll get to that... right now I'll just be happy with getting to having a decent render in any form or fashion..]).

Unfortunately I am sadly going to have to bow out as I just couldn't get the rest of the process down in a way that I was content with, being new to this and all. Good luck to all those who finish and are in the running.

And of course thanks to Pilgway for the contest and opportunity which worked out to be such a motivated period where I learned so much in my attempt. I really fell in love with the 3D process because of this and for that I am all sorts of grateful for the driven introduction. It's been a priceless experience even though I never achieved a finished piece :D

• Like 2