3DCoat Forums

Banshee tutorial texture painting

• Advanced Member

Hi AbnRanger,

The Banshee tutorial series is excellent! :) At the  end of the video Finish Retopo_Bake Texture Maps you mention the next video will be texture painting. Is this still in the works?

Thanks for all your great videos. Extremely helpful.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the kind words. I had the recording of the Painting part, but as I went to edit the recording, I noticed an annoying problem with Camtasia Studio, that crops up every once in a while. The cursor on the screen gets stuck and doesn't move anymore. As you are recording, you don't notice this. Another concern was that it was recorded around 4.0 and I've been wondering whether or not to do an updated recording, using Smart Materials along the way. That is probably what I'll do, once 4.7 is rolled out in the next week or so.

One other recent development makes the delay relatively worthwhile. I've been bugging Andrew for a long time now, to streamline the process of getting meshes and maps into other workspaces. Because 3D Coat has basically 3 mesh structures...Paint Mesh, Retopo Mesh, and Sculpt Mesh...if you don't follow the typical progression, it is practically like having to export from one application to another. To go from the Paint Room to the Retopo and Sculpt Room, then back again without losing all your texture work, was a real PITA.

The last build (4.5.40) helps alleviate that. No more having to export outside of 3D Coat to get a mesh from one workspace to the other. With the Banshee tutorial, I wanted to show how a user can step back into the Sculpt room to do some more sculpting edits and just re-bake the normal/displacement maps. That required a work-around I don't think viewers would have wanted to see. :huh:

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

That would be great if you do it after the 4.7 release. Be nice to have the mesh flow between rooms simplified too!

Don't know how you can be so prolific with quality tutorials, you produce them faster than I have time to watch,  but keep up the GOOD work, I look forward to viewing them when I have a chance.