3DCoat Forums

Steampunk Vehicle - Tank Fortress

pauloduarte

Starting a little late, but hope I can finish on time. I'm not very experienced in 3d coat, but the little I know makes me very impressed, always seeing amazing works made by users here in the forum, so I'm taking the opportunity of this contest to learn more 3d Coat and trying to make a cool model.

My vehicle will be a very large tank fortress.

Here are the references and a quick sketch in 3d coat:

References:

wip001_zpsok4r3re1.jpg

Basic Sketch:

wip002_zpsxtpzmf5z.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 3

Although you state you weren't experienced in 3DC your work sure does look like it. Maybe you've got time to answer some questions from someone TRULY inexperienced :)

1) How did you make the tanktreads and then let them go around the inner wheels? (something like duplicate along curve?)

2) The step-by-step images are really valueable, thanks for those! Could you explain how the last three steps work exactly? (Make alpha to mesh and bend?)

Hello Dobby, thank's for reply.

1) I make one single tread, decimate, send to Maya, duplicate along curve, merge all, send back to 3d coat.

2) I used a image in stencil, then cut with Cut Off brush, and  bend with Warp Tool.

Cheers.

Paulo

I'm not a advanced user in 3d Coat, but I manage to make a hires at the beginning, and later you can retopo or use Live Clay to optimize the mesh, cut off the edges, smooth...

More updates, running to finish on time, hope I can start the texturing this week:

Side Door:

wip009_zpsxrqnbxgr.jpg

Engines:

wip010_zpsgvuzfc2o.jpg

wip011_zps9shdx6ys.jpg

Blocking the base structure:

wip012_zps1hcyzu6w.jpg

• Like 4

Hello Dobby, I'm building some parts directy in 3d coat because some things are easier to make in voxels as this drill for example. Other parts I do in Maya and refining some detail in voxel or surface mode.

The drill after done the voxel modeling, I applied a decimate, duplicate and merge in surface mode.

You can put other geometries, duplicate bolts in surface mode very easy.

Some times I'm having troubles with hi poly count, I'm learning that I need keep the eye on the status line in the bottom.

Cheers. 

• Like 1

My machine it's very old too, 5 or 6 years old, I have 18 gb, but I try optimize everything as possible, my main problem is my GTX 460, very old to work with 3d Coat, there is a lag when I change the tools.

Kargall -> thank you  :good2:

dimitribastos -> a mix of 3d coat and Maya, sometime I make a base mesh in Maya and put details in 3d coat, but some pieces I think  it's more easily starting the modeling in voxel, decimation, and later send to Maya.

I'm trying make some assets for the final scene:

wip020_zps4b9xjzlq.jpg

wip021_zpswumm0n5y.jpg

• Like 6