3DCoat Forums

ostapblender

Hi there! My journey began with an idea to create some steam bike, but after some thought process, I realiize, that this is to common, and steampunk-guys should dream about automated

vehicles, even in old times! First thought was about some kind of rickshaw, in which instead of real driver will be mechanical guy. In first iteration just him was steam-powered, and just pushing the pedals like a normal human. At this point name of the project was born - it's Stesla. That's funny, cuz Elon Musk's Tesla now seems like are most popular and innovative car with AI driving, and adding S to this brand name creating little pun with 'steam-powered-tesla". Body01_01_001.3b.jpg
So, I did few more itetaions, in which driver began to be part of machine more and more. And at some point I tried to think like a victorian guy and just realized, that there is actually vehicles in Victorian period, and this is horse-powered broughams! You can see mash up of bikes and brougham at this image:
03.png

I actually love that concept and did more work on it. So there also was few iterations, but on the same base:
06.jpg

Glancing to the references helped me with brougham shape, so, now it looks more dynamic plausible. Also, quick tip: adding curtains really helping with made vehicle look more being in use and, actually, livable.

Сurtains.jpg

When I realize, more or less, what do you want, it was time to fugure it out, where and how I wanne see that vehicle. As this is victorian epoch, that seems logic to place such vehicle to old streets. And then I started to work on the composition.
Base_Env01.0003.png

After few more adjustments, I added light to set some tone to whole work.
Base_Env01.0014.png

Obviously, after that I grabbed all the passes and composed picture. After playing some time with that, I was satisfied with result:
05.jpg

So now, when pre-production stage is almost complete, I decided to share everything with you, my young forum topic reader. :-)
There will be more work with the concept of driver and interior, and then - final modeling, texturing and all that stuff, which you perfectly know, if you know what for 3D Coat is. :-)
C&C are VERY welcomed!

• Like 5

• Contributor

Okay, fabulous! I am pleased to be characterized as "young forum topic reader" as it takes me back over half a century to my salad days (long before PCs and forums). Anyway, the manner in which you whip things out will make you a valuable addition to this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

As you can see, I'm not WIP kind of person, I like making of's much more.

So, let's start!

In first place I didn't understand, why 3DCoat saves preview and actual scene file in two different files, but now, when I need exact that thing, it seems really logic and useful!

Using 3D Coat I unwraped whole model - and it was fast and ferocious, actually. Main problem was with total count of pieces. I think, with Unfold3D or Maya I won't unwarp this model to present day. But almost whole work 3D Coat did for me. :-)  After few iterations and choosing edges for seams, I recieved UV's just like on second picture. Pretty, eh? 

UV.jpg

SteamVehicle_map1_ao.png

After that important stage in life of every 3D artist, I suddenly remember, that there is necessity of additional details, which must interact with smart materials.

So, I opened sculpt room and started to sculpt. Yeah, that sounds pretty straightforward, but actually really tricky!

At the same time I realized that there is must be logo of manufacturer of that vehicle, so I choose elephant as one. Because Stesla car must be really smart to drive herself, and really powerful, mighty and big, as every vehicle with steam pot.

Voxels.jpg

• Like 1

Yup, texturing is done and I started to exporting all the maps back into Maya, to render whole scene in Arnold. But before that I have something like day-off (actually, couple of days), when I can have a little rest from texturing thing and think about something else. I planned to upload model on the Sketchfab, so some animation was required.

And it was done! With simple rig wheels starts to spin,  pistons are moving and even steerwheel starts to steer!

WheelsAnim.gif

Steer.gif

• Like 1

Also, for environment I used custom models of building, modeled specially for the challenge. Unfortunately, 3D Coat didn't have bricks or concrete materials inbuilt, so I created very own library for that purpouse. If anyone interested in it - let me know, so I can share it with you.

To save some time and create diversity, I modeled buildings by blocks - set of walls, roofs, windows, doors, etc. In average, in 5 sets was 5 options, which gave me wiggle room at least for 25 unique buildings - more that enought for my purpouse. After texturing, I mixed parts and have nice environment.

Buildings2_002.3b_-_3D-COAT_4.5.40(GL64)_10-07-2016_11-51-14-64_c22.jpg

Last, but not least stage is rendering. As you know, great render always helps to sell scene to the viewer, even if models or artistic part is weak. In the same way, greatest idea and superb model can be wasted, if render is bad.

Renders.png

• Like 1

Last, but not least stage is rendering. As you know, great render always helps to sell scene to the viewer, even if models or artistic part is weak. In the same way, greatest idea and superb model can be wasted, if render is bad. So this was a time for maximum effort. As you can see, there is whole bunch of renders, big and small, great, and not really, to understand what way will be best for that scene and that object. Fortunatley, I found nice way to render that vehicle. Thanks to pre-production :-) With help with renderpower from my friends from FoxRenderFarm, I was able to render whole scene without noise and it big resoulution.

Very important to save all renderpasses, which you planning to use for enhancing work via posteffects, so I render almost every pass :-). 

Passes.jpg

• Like 2

So here we are: this is my final entry. Yes, I know there is more than month till new finish line, but I'm pretty tired from this project.

So, this is Stesla by Elephant Steam Engines - self-driving steam machine, constructed for public transportaions - just like our diesel buses, but on the steam and with automaton driver. :-) 
Also you  can see my vehicle in all dimentions on the Sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/Qx9w

I don't know how to put preview in the forum's body, so there is a link. %)

Thanks to Pilgway team for that fun challenge! Thanks to all other contestants for the bringing spirit of the river to this art-marathon!

Cheers!

SteslaPOST03_00000.png

• Like 8

Incredible work. Congratulations. 

But I'm sad that you just show the final work on the last day, I think one of the advantages of challenges like this, is the interaction of users during the process, asking questions, learning, getting suggestions ... Anyway great job.

Cheers.
Paulo Duarte

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yup, I tweaked preset in 3D Coat a little bit, just for sake of simplicity. And then just added to the aiStandart shader. You can see that textures are converted to the .tx - this is because it's really working much faster with that type of maps.

Lamp.3b_-_3D-COAT_4.7.06(GL64)_29-08-2016_00-03-14-50_c22.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...