3DCoat Forums

3D Coat to Blender

lewis2e

Hi All

I've been using 3D Coat for a while now, and have to start by saying how much I love it. I'm a long time user of Blender and Cycles, but I didn't have experience of any other applications until I tried 3D Coat. The usability and almost constant improvements and additions of new features is extremely impressive. I now do all my sculpting and painting in 3D Coat because it is just so easy and intuitive compared to Blender....

Now for my actual question. Admittedly, it's as much a Blender question as it is a 3D Coat question, but I'm hoping I am not the only one using Blender for rendering creations exported from 3D Coat.

I am using Blender and Cycles for rendering, and I am using the SimplePBR node which I found because other people on these 3D Coat forums have mentioned it. No-one, however, seems to have given an example of how to correctly set it up.

SimplePBR has the following inputs:

• Albedo
  • Specular Colour;
  • Fresnel IOR;
  • Roughness;
  • Metalness; and
  • Normal

As far as I can tell, no export workflow in 3D Coat supports generating all these maps as part of the same export. Is that correct? This is what is confusing me.

Can anyone give me a description of how you typically hook this up? (if you use it). What maps do you export from 3D Coat?

Alternatively, is there a better alternative to SimplePBR? 

Note: I have seen this thread: http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17212-pbr-in-blender-cycles/, but it doesn't quite seem to answer my question.

Many thanks

• Advanced Member

I have been using Daniel's shader as described in the link you posted. I am happy with the results and its use. In 3DC use a metalness/roughness workflow and plug the image textures to their respective sockets in the shader. The normal socket input on the shader did not seem to work for me so I simply routed normal inputs around the shader and set them up as usual for cycles materials. Thanks to Daniel for providing a great shader to the community.

Alternatively you can explore the Disney Uber shader mentioned in the "Off Topic and General CG Related" section of the 3DC Community Forum.

Good luck,

BK

Screenshot from 2016-06-13 10:16:30.png

16 hours ago, benk said:

I have been using Daniel's shader as described in the link you posted. I am happy with the results and its use. In 3DC use a metalness/roughness workflow and plug the image textures to their respective sockets in the shader. The normal socket input on the shader did not seem to work for me so I simply routed normal inputs around the shader and set them up as usual for cycles materials. Thanks to Daniel for providing a great shader to the community.

Alternatively you can explore the Disney Uber shader mentioned in the "Off Topic and General CG Related" section of the 3DC Community Forum.

Good luck,

BK

Screenshot from 2016-06-13 10:16:30.png

Hey benk, I could help you with Shader setup!

First tip: set metal IOR to 1.0 ;)

Where are you from? Time zone?

• Advanced Member

Thank you for your help Daniel. Perhaps I am using the shader incorrectly. Even so it seems to provide results that are very similar to the 3DC Render Room. I think it works great and is easy to implement.

I will adjust IOR settings as suggested to see if results change.

I am in Ohio, USA, eastern US time zone (New York time).

Thank you again Daniel for the shader. I think it is quite useful and a good asset for those using Blender for rendering.

bk

• 2 weeks later...