3DCoat Forums

Shadows gone ROGUE!!

Sketchup

So I'm in the Render room, and mysteriously it puts an excessive shadow on something that it shouldn't.  I've tried re-importing the model and the associated textures.  I have a separate 3D coat file with just the numbers, and it renders just fine!  I also axed the frame that surrounds the number, just in case some invisible part of it was casting a shadow (Spoiler alert: it wasn't).  

So maybe you guys have encountered this before.  While you guys deliberate, I'm going to try using the non-cuda version and checking my topology on everything again just in case there's some invisible polygon getting all rapey on my shadows.

YOPnoOP.jpg

Correct, no back-faces are wrong side out.  

The botched shadows are cured if I hide a large portion of the model.  I think it's possible that bad topology may be causing this unnecessary shadow to appear, but I'm still bamboozled about the fact that it's only impacting the "4." 

Solved the problem!  The shadow system in 3D-Coat's renderer didn't like the topology of my "4" so it turned it jet black out of spite.  To fix this here's what I did:

1. Triangulated the "4"

2. Brought it back into 3DC and repainted it.

3. No more rogue shadows! 

thumb_COLOURBOX8087126.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I am just wondering what  is the other program you used for  all the numbers  and was it  just its Text or you made the #s. Hard to see but it looked as if that #4  was outward curved as the other # s looked to be slightly inward. Glad you solved it.