3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I asked Andrew about allowing users to be able to work on a mesh, even if it have one part on another UV set. For example, when a user puts the UV's for the head on one, and another for the body....it seems rather silly to block the user from being able to work on one part just because the other part has a different UV set.

Substance painter has this problem last time I tried it. I hope they change it. I couldn't paint on anything unless I choose the specific uv set. Makes the workflow really slow.

2 hours ago, geo_n said:

Substance painter has this problem last time I tried it. I hope they change it. I couldn't paint on anything unless I choose the specific uv set. Makes the workflow really slow.

The issue is, when 3DC hopefully supports multiple tiles per polygons (happens a lot in many situations, as I'm sure you're aware), which one would/should it pick? I'd rather personally choose this. In the mean time while 3DC is lagging behind in the UV department, I think it's not a problem, but when this changes... And I hope it does soon, then another solution will be needed, which I've already outlined for Andrew in years past.

v4.7.01

I can't import Displacement maps to same mesh. The uv are ignored. Do someone has the same problem?

How to reproduce:

1. Take a mesh

2. Paint a black and white texture for using as displacement map.

3. Export the map to bitmap file.

4. Import the map as displacement for the same mesh.

-> Result: The imported map ignores the uvs.

This happen in vertex mode too.

Is this my fault?

I am not able to import 3dcpacks.

Do someone can confirm this?

I have shared a material Folder, but I do not see the materials after import and restart.

As I see the related pbrm files are copied in the main user folder of my 3DC installation but nothing happens.

I have deleted the same folder in my Smart Material lib before imported it back for testing. Can this be the reason?

• Advanced Member
On 28.6.2016 at 7:41 PM, Michaelgdrs said:

Bug 

Click on Quad strip tool --> instant crash.

Win 10 , gtx 980 latest drivers , latest beta in GL

Noticed it also. Doesn't always happen, but often. Tool also doesn't have any effect when I draw a stroke on the highres surface. A red line appears, but no polygons.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Its still in BETA and unfinished , so it doesnt work yet , just wanted to point out the crash , as if someone has a non saved retopo work and try to use the tool it will crash the software out.

11 hours ago, Carlosan said:

import 3dcpacks = no problems

I am not shure if you tried the right way.

Try this please:
1. Go to smart materials window

2. Create a new folder and set a new smart material there.

3. Press right mousebutton on a material and schoose "Share items folder". Save it as 3dcpack.

4. Delete the folder and restart 3DC.

5. After restart 3DC import your 3dcpack

6. Restart 3DC to see the imported smart mat folder

-> Nothing imported.

2 test making create, delete, restart...

- RMB Share item and Share item folder are not working.

- But File > Create extension & selecting the PBR shader folder is working.

Delete.jpg

On 1.7.2016 at 2:25 AM, Carlosan said:

2 test making create, delete, restart...

- RMB Share item and Share item folder are not working.

- But File > Create extension & selecting the PBR shader folder is working.

Delete.jpg

OK.Thank you Carlos.

Andrew,

When you export with Layer 0 hidden to get alpha transparency, in the diffuse/albedo channel you now get block boxes all around the painted areas. This completely destroys all export from 3DC, making it useless. This happens no matter which export method I use, be it from FIle>Export, Textures>Export or Layers>Export. This completely defeats the purpose of painting or updating single layers for overlaying. Please fix this.

Thanks.

EDIT: This is a huge pain in the ass, it adds a lot more work that defeats the purpose of exporting with an alpha. You still need to manually select the color range in PS. This is a total mess. I'm mid-project with a deadline, I wish I hadn't used 3DC for this. :dash2:Mari and Substance Painter are looking better every day.

No_Layer0_FileExport_Albedo.tga

Layer0_FileExport_Albedo.tga

No_Layer0_TexturesExport_ColorOnly.tga

Layer0_TextresExport_ColorOnly.tga

Edited by Javis
Additional info & Images

• Advanced Member

Texture export with transparency has always been a problem for me, too. This is since 3dcoat 3.

There's always a light gray color in the background.

Turning off layer 0 has always produced black boxes for me, too, so I never used it.

Using 3dcoat 4.5.19 for export

3dc4.zip

3dc4_icosahedron1_auv_color.png

3dc4_icosahedron1_auv_color.jpg

4.7.04 (beta, very possibly stable)

- Antialiasing tuned to work correctly for text, rectangular fill.

- Share item/folder works correctly for smart materials

- sliders adjustment tweaked to be more convenient

- Retopo->Select path works correctly

- shaders/panoramas/export presets adjusted for better correspondence with standarts

- upload to Sketchfab corrected. Pay attention that if after upload you are getting "Upload screenshot" instead of model - click "Change API key" in upload dialog and re-enter the key.

• Like 2

Javiis, I tried to export with hidden Layer0. There are my observations:

1) If you will view image in viewer like FastStone or open in PS on the first glance it looks like there are some black squares that make image unuseable.

2) BUT! IMPORTANT! any of thata stuff is in the area there opacity is completely ZERO. So if you will use the image anywhere to render anything the squares will be invisible. The problem happens only because PS and viewers are showing image without taking alpha channel into account. I may assign oter color (say black) to unused areas but it actually will change absolutely nothing in terms of using the texture or results of rendering. 

• Advanced Member

Andrew can you check attachment?

Why is there always a gray bg color where it should be transparent?
Very easy to see if you export out png. Its never been fixed.

Also that black boxes Javis mentioned has always been there since 3dcoat 3. Don't think it has been fixed.

Edited by geo_n

• Contributor

Thank you so much for all fixes and Marmoset export preset.

So proud for being part of this masterpiece and i really mean it.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

Thanks for your hard work Andrew!

Now for the test of the new build, were one step closer. At least now in PS we can Select> Color Range> Mask. Because deleting can be really destructive, I don't consider this a real solution.

Andrew, can you program it so the pixels are transparent? This is the only real way to get exactly what you're painting in 3DC into any other application. It's the only solution, anything else requires destructive workflows.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Javis said:

Thanks for your hard work Andrew!

Now for the test of the new build, were one step closer. At least now in PS we can Select> Color Range> Mask. Because deleting can be really destructive, I don't consider this a real solution.

Andrew, can you program it so the pixels are transparent? This is the only real way to get exactly what you're painting in 3DC into any other application. It's the only solution, anything else requires destructive workflows.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

What dou you mean? Color is exported with alpha channel, so I see no problem there.

On 3.7.2016 at 6:36 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

4.7.04 (beta, very possibly stable)

- Share item/folder works correctly for smart materials

Unfortuantely it still does not work in this way. The regular materials export via file menu works.

Thank you

• Advanced Member

Just noticed there is some weird behavior when rotating with the Curve tool active (green sphere) via the Voxel room when Symmetry is turned on. It seems to jump around and fly towards the navigation camera. Checked back and noticed this is happening in older builds as well as the released one.

On 7/7/2016 at 0:27 PM, dimitribastos said:

Any chances of a Modo exporting preset? :(

I'll share mine with Andrew, maybe he'll include it in the release build. :)

• Like 1

• Contributor

I created UV-sets named 1001 and 1002 in the retopo room and distributed my geometry between them. After baking for PPP, my sets were inverted. 1001 was renamed to 1002 and 1002 to 1001. Why does this happen?

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic