3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Can the content of this temp folder be deleted?

\Documents\3D-CoatV47\Temp

If you plan to do it, back up your theme first, because you will loose it. For some reason it was always stored in Temp directory.

• Like 1

4.7.07 (stable)

- Still image gizmo got pivot/rotation controls.

- Stencils/materials gizmo got possibility to move rotation/scale pivot. RMB over material navigation gizmo will reset corresponding position/scale/rotation.

- Fixed crash in unwrap (zero squared triangles)

- Possibility to assign hotkeys to rooms switching.

- Disable auto-deleting point in retopo on almost straight line.

- Save/Load camera stores camera/stencil/material correctly.

- Correct preview of smart material's textures when you are navigating with material navigation buttons.

- Freeze/pose bugs related to undo + brushing fixed.

-  Fixed snapping of invisible vertices problem when mesh imported in retopo room.

- Retopo->Bake->Bake normalmaps with dithering option for better noralmap baking.

- Added the NGon primitive with outsider fillet.

- Disable "Vertical sync" in OpenGL to avoid FPS dropdown for OpenGL builds.

- Edit "Colors" in retopo updates colors over mesh immediately after choosing color, not afetr OK pressed.

• Like 7

• Advanced Member

Is there a way to get a hold of the old 4.5 default shaders? The old white standard and 'brown' were perfect, the brown let you view from any angle without light issues as well.

brown.PNG

Yet to explore the other updates, but looking good, thanks!

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, arumiat said:

Is there a way to get a hold of the old 4.5 default shaders? The old white standard and 'brown' were perfect, the brown let you view from any angle without light issues as well.

brown.PNG

Yet to explore the other updates, but looking good, thanks!

Yep. Andrew included a traditional matcap shader as a default.

Here are the steps to get something even better than the old 4.5 ones.

First, get a solid matcap pack, or any image used for matcaps. I recommend downloading many of the freely available ones on the net. For example I like to use these: http://www.9bstudios.com/9bstudios/communicate/Entries/2012/5/13_9b_studios_mCap_Library_Released.html
(Scroll to the bottom of the page for download link. You should get a zip file, inside you will find some folders and modo files. You only want the one titled: "MCap_Images". Save it somewhere and then follow these steps.)

In 3D Coat:
1. Look for a shader called MatCap_RedWax, its the first reddish looking one that comes with 3D Coat (post pbr shader implementation).
2. Right click on it and construct new shader. Name it whatever, Usually I go with MatCap_01..ect
3. It will then give you the option to load an image. This is where you grab one of the matcap images you just downloaded. Based on the image you select, the different kind of "shader" look you will get.
Try 9b_MC_053.png  from that pack above, its pretty good. There are a lot of good matcaps out there, you just have to find them. You can even screen cap some of the zbrush ones and save them as .png files for use in 3D Coat.

This is how you can get the old shader look, and even get some better matcaps in the process.

Edited by RabenWulf
  • Like 5

• Advanced Member

Could anyone please confirm this potential BUG with the 'Export Objects and Textures' Normal Map output.

My exported normal maps are coming out a LOT lighter than usual.

If I use the 'Textures > Export > Normal Map (TS)' function it works fine.

Thanks.

p.s. Really, noone? 

• Advanced Member

Quicky question. Have the Brush Presets been upgraded recently ? I just noticed my preset list has been expanded with loads of new brushes! ( my old ones are still there there so thats ok...) Just wondering.... Not tried them yet ,so something new to play with.

On the MatCap note . I like the default "Sculptris"  grey one . If you download Sculptris you can find it and a load of others in one of the data folders.

And ta for that link RabenWulf, maybe I will find an even nicer one there!

Edited by stusutcliffe
amendment

• Reputable Contributor

Has anyone else had 3DC crashing on the autoretopo This is from at least version 4.5.3 to 4.5.7. Open GL or DX

Autopo seems slower now as well but 3DC hangs with the 100% of all Cpus... 

I know how to get a clean mesh to run autopo on but no matter what I do in a large number of cases it hangs. Not all cases, a really simple model seems to work but beyond that it just hangs...

Edited by digman
misspelled word

Curious. I've been asked to convert a bunch of pen alphas to 3DC, which are all just PSDs in a folder. In 3DC I open the menu in Alphas and pick Add Existing Folder, but it won't let me pick a folder, only individual image files. I can't even select multiple files.  Any suggestions?

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

Curious. I've been asked to convert a bunch of pen alphas to 3DC, which are all just PSDs in a folder. In 3DC I open the menu in Alphas and pick Add Existing Folder, but it won't let me pick a folder, only individual image files. I can't even select multiple files.  Any suggestions?

I haven't tried this in a long time, so my recollection may be off a bit on this, but try to "Add existing folder" > select the first file in the folder, and 3D Coat should convert them all. If that doesn't work on PSD files, then I was contact Andrew about it. One by one would suck.

4.7.08 (stable)

- Top/bottom/left/right views adopted to industry standard.

- Extrude with 3D lasso (choose 3D lasso in any brush in surface mode). Edge shape follows brush shape. 

- Better visibility of selected retopo faces.

- Reference images quick access.

- Added "Click To Place" actions to all new primitives.

- Better look of wireframe for Ptex "Increase resolution" tool.

- Correct export with Export constructor with MV/Ptex approach.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Retopo Room's Apply Symmetry to Current Layer will apply it to all visible groups instead of only to a currently selected retopo group.

I first noticed it in 4.7.06, but it is still present in 4.7.08.

apply_symmetry_to_current_layer.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I haven't tried this in a long time, so my recollection may be off a bit on this, but try to "Add existing folder" > select the first file in the folder, and 3D Coat should convert them all. If that doesn't work on PSD files, then I was contact Andrew about it. One by one would suck.

Yeah, that's the trick. And it does work on PSDs. Thanks.

• Advanced Member

So has anyone had a chance to test if Normal Map export is broken in the 'Export Objects and Textures' function?

Currently the Normal Map comes out a LOT lighter compared to the Please 'Textures > Export > Normal Map (TS)' function.

This breaks an otherwise great export system.

• Contributor

I launched 3D-Coat today (4.5.08) and what did I see? Some of my preferences, including Theme settings, reset to default.

I selected bust surface sculpting and 3D-Coat threw an error.

screenshot_16-08-16_13_32_10.jpg

Fortunately I always keep a weekly backup of the preferences folder.

Edited by ajz3d

23 hours ago, ghib said:

So has anyone had a chance to test if Normal Map export is broken in the 'Export Objects and Textures' function?

Currently the Normal Map comes out a LOT lighter compared to the Please 'Textures > Export > Normal Map (TS)' function.

This breaks an otherwise great export system.

Is is with Export constructor enabled? What export preset chosen?

Edit: Found it. Some export preses are using gamma correction for normalmaps, I will remove this effect in next build. But now you may set gamma correctuin to be 1 nor normalmap in preset that you are using.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Edit: Found it. Some export preses are using gamma correction for normalmaps, I will remove this effect in next build. But now you may set gamma correctuin to be 1 nor normalmap in preset that you are using.

Brilliant, thank you for looking into this Andrew.  This was only one of two things breaking the workflow.

The other thing that forces me to go to Photoshop for editing is not being able to paint opaque depth over the top of an imported NormalMap that is on a layer with NormalMap selected as the blend option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghib said:

Brilliant, thank you for looking into this Andrew.  This was only one of two things breaking the workflow.

The other thing that forces me to go to Photoshop for editing is not being able to paint opaque depth over the top of an imported NormalMap that is on a layer with NormalMap selected as the blend option.

Why not paint additional depth on other layer, not normalmap one?

• Advanced Member

Yes this is what I was doing, but Painting extra depth in an Opaque manner using 3DCoat does not work if you have a Normal Map on a separate layer.  This is regardless of placing your new depth layer above the Normal Map layer or not..

Painting depth in an Opaque manner if using ONLY 3DCoat depth channels DOES work.  This is achieved using the Max Depth function.  I would hope that this would work with added Normal Maps if the layer you're painting Depth on is above.  If beneath the Normal Map layer I'd expect the Normal Map to blend additively.

Thanks for listening.

• Like 2

4.7.09(stable)

- Stencil painting with lasso corresponds to preview
- Extrusion with 3D Spline supports stencils and works in voxel mode as well
- "Retopo->Apply symmetry to current layer" really applies symmetry to current retopo group only
- Export normalmaps without gamma correction (even if specified in export constructor) to avoid confusion with normalmaps rendering
- Click to place issue solved 

• Like 5

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

4.7.09(stable)

- Stencil painting with lasso corresponds to preview
- Extrusion with 3D Spline supports stencils and works in voxel mode as well
- "Retopo->Apply symmetry to current layer" really applies symmetry to current retopo group only
- Export normalmaps without gamma correction (even if specified in export constructor) to avoid confusion with normalmaps rendering
- Click to place issue solved 

Hi, Andrew. Can you add a Modo export preset? Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, philnolan3d said:

3DC has always saved LWO, doesn't Modo still use that?

Yes. Bu Dimitri is not talking about that, he's talking about PBR texture export preset. :) We've discussed it a few times before.

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic