3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

Click the "Subdivide" button as many times as you need to smooth the OBJ.

Thank you for advice! Another question about retopology mesh. Why when I go to File->Import->Reference Mesh or New file->Perform Retopology->Import reference mesh I have nice smooth reference mesh with textures but if I go to Retopo room->Retopo->Import I have a mesh without textures and smooth groups. This is kind of annoying that program has so many duplicated commands and each of them work in a different way.

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Vipera said:

Thank you for advice! Another question about retopology mesh. Why when I go to File->Import->Reference Mesh or New file->Perform Retopology->Import reference mesh I have nice smooth reference mesh with textures but if I go to Retopo room->Retopo->Import I have a mesh without textures and smooth groups. This is kind of annoying that program has so many duplicated commands and each of them work in a different way.

This is because the Retopo Workspace isn't designed to work with textures or shaders. You import meshes or create ones from scratch there, for generating Retopo meshes. You could also consider it a place to bake a target mesh to which 3D Coat sends a baked copy to the Paint Workspace. REFERENCE MESH is an old, legacy option from the V2 days. Send your dense models directly to the Sculpt room.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

For me in version 4.7.10 the Normalmap layer does NOT respect Clip Mask Layer options.   Has this always been the case or just with this latest version.  

I've never actually tried to do any Clip Masking on the NormalMap layers before so I have no frame of reference.  Too busy at the moment to install and try a different version.

2 hours ago, ghib said:

For me in version 4.7.10 the Normalmap layer does NOT respect Clip Mask Layer options.   Has this always been the case or just with this latest version.  

I've never actually tried to do any Clip Masking on the NormalMap layers before so I have no frame of reference.  Too busy at the moment to install and try a different version.

I don't know about imported normals, I haven't done that in a while, it did used to work if it's not working now.

But for newly created depth layers, it does work for me in 4.7.10 on windoze. I'm using the feature on a project right now, and just in case, I tested in a new scene. It's working without a hitch over here. Just to be sure,  are you using the color channel to mask depth?

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

@Carlosan that doesn't work with Imported NormalMaps unfortunately.  This is very much linked to an earlier post I made where I was requesting the ability to paint depth in an Opaque manner above an imported Normal Map Layer.  Currently it doesn't work.

@Javis, yes with Imported NormalMaps the clip masking doesn't work.  So you managed to mask a NormalMap layer using a Layer with an RGB Layer?

I believe that possibly Andrew needs to have a look at the functionality of using Imported NormalMaps and painting Depth in 3dCoat.  Currently they feel a little disconnected.

p.s. this has nothing to do with Masking depth painted on a layer in 3DCoat.

• Advanced Member

Bug in 4.7.10:

- Flat shade mode seems to be displaying specular/metalness information instead of just albedo. I am using the roughness/metalness workflow.

- areas designated as metalness in flat shade mode show up as much brighter and colorpicking them does not sample the lighter color as seen in the viewport but rather a color much darker.

- switching from flat shade mode to specular color mode seems to display the correctly painted colors without a lighter filter over the top as seen in flat shade mode?

- In line with the above, painting roughness on a layer adds a mid grey to spec color.. is this normal behavior? Selecting a layer.. turning off all paint able channels except spec/roughness and hitting delete willl return the spec color channel to black. Is this channel meant to be black in a roughness/metalness workflow? or the mid grey?

- it appears that the brightening of metalness areas in flat shade mode isnt  happening in 4.5.40.

Edited by Boonta

• Advanced Member

Further testing:

The following relates to what is seen when going to view > spec color mode, and view > flat shade mode (under glossyness/metalness workflow) using the "preview sphere" (and turning off the ambientocclusion layer that it opens with) Metalness is ZERO in all these cases.

spec color shows up as grey 23%

painting a blue stroke (zero roughness, zero metalness) of 0,0,255 shows up as 0,0,255 under flat shade mode

spec color remains as grey 23% as strokes are painted on it that also contain a roughness value. (behavior is different in 4.7.10)

spec color shows up as black. painting on the sphere with any value of roughness will now add 23% grey to the spec color.

blue stroke painted 0,0,255 shows up as 58,58,255 under flat shade mode!!!

deleting spec/roughness values from this layer will return the color back to the apropriate 0,0,255. when viewing in flat shade mode. Deleting this information also makes the "spec color" go to black.

It seems somehow this spec color is effecting what is seen in the flat shade mode.

I am expecting when entering flat shade mode to essentially see albedo only. If for whatever reason other data is showing, can we get a view mode to show albedo only or fix flat shade mode.

Edited by Boonta

19 hours ago, Boonta said:

Further testing:

The following relates to what is seen when going to view > spec color mode, and view > flat shade mode (under glossyness/metalness workflow) using the "preview sphere" (and turning off the ambientocclusion layer that it opens with) Metalness is ZERO in all these cases.

spec color shows up as grey 23%

painting a blue stroke (zero roughness, zero metalness) of 0,0,255 shows up as 0,0,255 under flat shade mode

spec color remains as grey 23% as strokes are painted on it that also contain a roughness value. (behavior is different in 4.7.10)

spec color shows up as black. painting on the sphere with any value of roughness will now add 23% grey to the spec color.

blue stroke painted 0,0,255 shows up as 58,58,255 under flat shade mode!!!

deleting spec/roughness values from this layer will return the color back to the apropriate 0,0,255. when viewing in flat shade mode. Deleting this information also makes the "spec color" go to black.

It seems somehow this spec color is effecting what is seen in the flat shade mode.

I am expecting when entering flat shade mode to essentially see albedo only. If for whatever reason other data is showing, can we get a view mode to show albedo only or fix flat shade mode.

I can cofirm that Flat shading with specular is broken at 4.7.x. Reported it here http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2189

• Advanced Member

thanks for confirming that!

- I had to just restart 4.7.10 due to the undo stack no longer recording more than 1 action. strange bug not sure if i can reproduce... will monitor it some more.

- rotate around last draw point seems to randomly reset its self at times as well.

Edited by Boonta

• Contributor

On paint room each time we open 3D Coat the opacity value is different.

Sometimes 60 , 90 , 93 etc etc 

Just painted a hard asset with 93 opacity and now i must re do it.

Can we please fix the value to be always 100%?

Thank you in advance

• Advanced Member

Beta 4.7.10 - imported normal maps are a mess. The only way to limit them is to manually erase them with a brush which takes forever. Using freeze to erase areas of the normalmap layer corrupts their edges with blocky nonsense, and there may as well be no option to mask them using another layer as it has no effect at all. Could you please at least address that last as a workaround for now? Cheers.

Win7 64

(Thanks to Carlosan)

• Advanced Member

id love to see some performance improvements on the texture adjustment operations. they are pretty slow when working with many layers and prb materials. more advanced even non destructive adjustments aka Photoshop/substance would be cool to see.

i.e. to preview a change when perfoming a RGB adjustment on a layer atm in my document takes a full couple of seconds to change just one channel i.e. red from 100 to say 120 value.

also is there any planned updates for using an IDmap in paintroom to aid in masking?

Edited by Boonta
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

(paintroom) bug:

folders lack the ability to act as a pass through group. i.e. putting a layer set to blending mode "color" inside a folder will be overridden by the folders "standard blend" setting. Expected behavior is that the folder acts as a group only by default and allows whatever layers and blending modes are in the group to act like they should. 

though it seems like this works with some of my groups and layers. maybe its a bug related to the color blending mode only? ( i have multiply and screen layers currently in groups and they appear to be working as expected ....

Paintroom UNDO bug:

Undo bug just occurred again. things i was doing at the time: reordering layers. and running a hue/sat/value adjustment.  Undo stack has been wiped and cant undo.

Edited by Boonta

On 9/18/2016 at 7:51 PM, Michaelgdrs said:

On paint room each time we open 3D Coat the opacity value is different.

Sometimes 60 , 90 , 93 etc etc 

Just painted a hard asset with 93 opacity and now i must re do it.

Can we please fix the value to be always 100%?

Thank you in advance

I find that depth does the same thing. It's always at some random setting I never set it at when I boot up the program.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Really?? Never noticed it as i always play with NM.

I should have a little check on my latest assets in this case.

Thanks a lot J you rock.

Yeah it's really weird. I don't know why they would be changed at all. Seems like a rather static setting until the user changes it. Or it should be anyway. :o

• Like 1

• Contributor

For latest collection only and in case you have any issues i reported to Andrew as well and we are looking on it.

-->

Something is not as preview versions of 3DC regarding  smart material package export.

Exported package is small in size and i had 2 complains saying that although settings in the materials are correct (they keep their values) and preview (small previews) are correct , some materials share the same texture.

Naming in all textures is the same , but i was making materials with the exact same way / naming of textures in previous collections with out any issues.

On my PC everything is working just fine

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2389qkbzrf18dt/Previews.mp4?dl=0

I uploaded the textures on Gumroad so people can manually insert them in case they have this issue.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Reputable Contributor

Version: 4.7.10

Zones of Control has a bug where you lose all your set zone of control spheres. I placed 30 zones of control twice and both times they disappear... I close 3DC, reopoen 3DC. Load the good file that had the zones of control and they are gone and any saved versions do not have them... 

Give us the ability to save a zone of control state just in case this happen, we can reload them as it is vital to a real production workflow. To place 30 or so zones of control spheres all over again is very time consuming.

Not quite a bug but if you placed zones of control, for example say 10... They are placed... You press ok and close the dialog box, then reopen and press cancel you lose all your placed zone of controls... This should not happen to the already placed zones of control. What is needed is a clear all box.  Right now we can do one at a time but that is time consuming. Cancel should just cancel the dialog box and not remove the placed zone of control spheres.

The above needs to be fixed asap as it is critical in a production setting.

Please fix the autopo soon, it really is not usable in it's present state for production work.. buggy, crashes, creates larger polygons where not needed and smaller ones where not needed. Painting density still does not work..  No need to go into specifics as all this has been reported in detail many times before.  

I know how to prepare the sculpt meshes for autopo to get a good result so I know that part of the work is covered correctly. 

If 3DC's autopo worked like "Instant meshes" but with density control both from the dialog box and painting, (already included) the 3DC tool would be fantastic... The guide strokes work as intended but the rest is still not ready for production work.

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
19 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Done. All the things I talked about fixed plus sorely needed for a long long time is uv settings per uv set / saving them not just a global one... The autopo really really working too... These would boost the production value of using 3DC in this area quite a bit... 

4.7.11[beta]

- Primitives for retopo room. This is rather template than complete toolset. Only one primitive present there, list will be essentially extended in next update.

- Coat tool. This is non-destructive and precise version of VoxLayer. This is important step, it opens family of nondestructive tools in 3D-Coat.

- Imput decreased (the time between human's action and visual feedback on the screen).

- Enable VoXRay in surface tools, Backface culling will be turned off in VoXRay tool.

- Correct normals sampling usage in Live Clay based tools.

-  Fixed crash related to extrusion using "Initial vertex normals".

- Everywhere in primitives edit boxes replaced with sliders.

- Better quality for 3D lasso selection

- Undo for renaming layer

- All Raul's tools updated

- a lot if small stability fixes.

• Like 2

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

4.7.11[beta]

- Coat tool. This is non-destructive and precise version of VoxLayer. This is important step, it opens family of nondestructive tools in 3D-Coat.

Wow! Non-destructive sculpting tools in 3D-Coat! This will be huge! :wub:

I fiddled a bit with the coat tool and it is impressive!

Two small bugs:

- sliders in coat tool options are non-undoable.

- sometimes points become unselectable and I need to select some other VoxTree object and then the "coated" one again

Also, some questions:

1) Would it be difficult to make the tool respect symmetry?

2) The tool seems to be remeshing the geometry it creates whenever we move points of the selection curve. So anything that was sculpted on it before curve modification will be lost. Would it be possible, in a further development stage of this tool of course, to make it preserve anything that was sculpted on it?

• Like 1

• Contributor

I confirm what Artur just wrote.

It looks promising though

Primitives are so important for the retopo room , i am using my own for the base shapes and its literraly cuts the production labour hours 5 and 10 times down if used correctly.

Question for Coat tool. If this is the future Sculpt layers shoouldnt the Coat surface follow the surface thats under it???

Example 

a box , on top the Coat , we sculpt on Coat but when we sculpt on the box Coat surface is not following , it stays there.

Thank you Andrew so much for getting in the latest of Rauls retopo tools , i was so in need for those.

Thank you Team.

Edited by Michaelgdrs
  • Like 2

Just in case anyone is trying to get the MacOS or Linux builds of 4.7.08 and are seeing it slowly download (or not at all); Right now those builds are not downloading correctly, or might take a very long time. I've notified the webmaster. Please bare with us. Thanks!

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic