3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

• Reputable Contributor

Correct, in all situations is a little too much to ask but improvement can be done... Some frustration talking there, We all experience that at one time or the other with 3DC.

Correct, on autopo working with simpler less complex models.

Not skimping on polygon count.. These are not to be low polygon game models. 

Autopo is not an end all, a choice depending upon the model. Sometimes all autopo, sometimes a combo of both and others just need manual retopoing

I understand that Andrew can not stopped development on other areas to just work on Autopo because of my reporting. He has a development schedule and time constraints.

Zbrush purchase is something I wanted to do for a while and it is not to supplant 3DC or just to have Zremesher but to have more 3D tools at my disposal. If Zremesher gets the job done for these "type of models" then all is good.

Port the 3DC model off to Zbrush for the autopo  and then back to the retopo room for the retopo mesh.

Uv and bake then off to the next project... 

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Tip - Alternative workflow -2 (Instant Meshes - 3D Coat).

Work on Instant Meshes , bring it in , auto relax and then manual relax / brush it up .

Already doing that Michaelgdrs... smile  

Bring into ZbrushCore. Dynamesh the model to a lower polygon count

You can also resample the model down in voxel mode and then export dense quads.

Bring into Instant Meshes to lower the polygon count for the retopo mesh. I think it is easier for Instant meshes to create a lower polygon count with less errors if it follows a quad curvature. My opinion of course. 

Use the instant meshes for the retopo. fix errors, bake.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

At one time I was having a lot of trouble with Autotopo as well, but then I found out that if I used a fairly low resolution voxel proxy as a basis things went pretty smoothly.

I was also thinking that it would be cool if Andrew made the autotopo functionality opensource so that it could be perfected and developed to fit multiple use cases by the community.  Since I too was considering purchasing zbrush for the zremesher, but it just didn't seem like a good justification for the purchase if that was all I'd be using it for.  

One thing I would still love to see is the ability to to use autotopo on a partially retopologized mesh.   

Edited by gbball

• Advanced Member

I should say, it would be nice if the autotopo was made opensource as a standalone application that integrated seamlessly with 3dcoat, but could be used within other workflows as well.

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, gbball said:

At one time I was having a lot of trouble with Autotopo as well, but then I found out that if I used a fairly low resolution voxel proxy as a basis things went pretty smoothly.

I was also thinking that it would be cool if Andrew made the autotopo functionality opensource so that it could be perfected and developed to fit multiple use cases by the community.  Since I too was considering purchasing zbrush for the zremesher, but it just didn't seem like a good justification for the purchase if that was all I'd be using it for.  

One thing I would still love to see is the ability to to use autotopo on a partially retopologized mesh.   

Another dirt-cheap option is to "rent" Mudbox and try it's Auto-Retopo toolset, if it's not quite working right in 3D Coat. Modo 10.2 now has Auto-Retopo, so if that's another option for those already using Modo.

• Contributor

4.7.12 and 4.7.13

Primitives , select cube , subdivide , select add , apply , --> crash , 

Primitives , select cube , subdivide select add apply , , if it pass add cube and select subtract , apply , --> crash again.

On 4.7.11 it works with out issues.

• Contributor

4.7.11 and above

Primitives , take a screw or a bolt , scale it down.

Apply , then click on click , click on surface or voxels and it looses its scale to a random one.

• Contributor

I got two crashes within an hour while sculpting on a voxel layer in 4.7.12.

I was alternating between Clay, Scrape, Move and Extrude tools, with an occasional Cut-Off.

Last time 3D-Coat crashed right after I tried to change tool to Clay-based voxel tool preset, using Spacebar->1 quickpanel.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I got a lot of crashes on 4.7.13 while creating primitives with the click on place checked, while transfirming the gizmo and when I hit apply.  The same scene on 4.7.6 worked just fine with the same workflow.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
22 hours ago, dimitribastos said:

I got a lot of crashes on 4.7.13 while creating primitives with the click on place checked, while transfirming the gizmo and when I hit apply.  The same scene on 4.7.6 worked just fine with the same workflow.

Please email Andrew (support@3dcoat.com). He may be so busy that he doesn't check this forum thread for a few days. But he will want to know that, for sure

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
On 11/6/2016 at 8:42 AM, AbnRanger said:

Another dirt-cheap option is to "rent" Mudbox and try it's Auto-Retopo toolset, if it's not quite working right in 3D Coat. Modo 10.2 now has Auto-Retopo, so if that's another option for those already using Modo.

I can't do complex and highpoly autoretopo with Modo. It always freezes halfway through. Anyway they just added it so don't expect too much.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
54 minutes ago, geo_n said:

I can't do complex and highpoly autoretopo with Modo. It always freezes halfway through. Anyway they just added it so don't expect too much.

I didn't get Modo 10 yet, but even from a very short official video clip on youtube demonstrating that feature I could see that it would probably not be usable. From what I've seen it generates a 'Dynamesh'-like quad mesh. Editing poly flow using curves was mentioned, but the result wasn't shown. Figures...

Doesn't surprise me that it freezes halfway through. Yet another half-baked Modo feature it seems... 

ZBrush has the most usable autopo to date, and even that is far from perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilson66 said:

I didn't get Modo 10 yet, but even from a very short official video clip on youtube demonstrating that feature I could see that it would probably not be usable. From what I've seen it generates a 'Dynamesh'-like quad mesh. Editing poly flow using curves was mentioned, but the result wasn't shown. Figures...

Doesn't surprise me that it freezes halfway through. Yet another half-baked Modo feature it seems... 

ZBrush has the most usable autopo to date, and even that is far from perfect.

Modos auto retopology is the same as 3DCs, more or less. ZB does have the best implementation thus far, and, like you said, it's far from perfect.

What confuses me is that so many people put so much stock into an auto function for generated meshes. I doubt unless serious advances are made, it will still be at least another 5-10 years away from being truly usable, in the way that you might not be able tell if it was modeled by hand or automatically generated. I stress might, because even then it might not be quite there.

In the mean time, get to modeling, the whole lot of you! ;)

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, dimitribastos said:

@AbnRanger, do I need to send an email considering that I uploaded about 5 or 6 bug/crash report due to this issue?

Those may be referenced, but they aren't very helpful without the user explaining what seemed to cause it and when it happened. I would just mention BUG in your email subject title. Andrew typically will stop what he is doing to fix a bug.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Javis said:

Modos auto retopology is the same as 3DCs, more or less.

Are you able to autoretopo an object around +1.5million polys? Modo just freezes for me.
I'm using a laptop though with i5 5200, 16gig ram.

But with the same hardware I am able to autoretopo in 3dc or zbrush and produced a mesh good enough for 3dprinting with no issues. That's the usefulness of autoretopo for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geo_n said:

Are you able to autoretopo an object around +1.5million polys? Modo just freezes for me.
I'm using a laptop though with i5 5200, 16gig ram.

But with the same hardware I am able to autoretopo in 3dc or zbrush and produced a mesh good enough for 3dprinting with no issues. That's the usefulness of autoretopo for me.

I haven't gone that high poly on any of my tests yet, but I'll give a go this weekend if I get some time. I do think Modos auto retopology is slower overall, than 3DCs. The topology though is more or less the same, with only slightly varying results.

For comparison, my main workstation is an i7 4770K, 16GB ram.

• Like 1

- Export Depth along Y correcly exports PBR compatible result. Shader will be baked to the textures as well.

- Fixed crash in primitives tool

- Possibility to overwrite depth of current layer over bottom ones, see layers options - see Replace depth and Layer height

- Gizmo in Bas-relief visible again

• Like 4

• Contributor

Fixed crash in primitives tool works , thank you very much.

Unfortunately , on click to place (screw model test) it gives Error : The parameter is incorrect.

On 11/12/2016 at 0:12 AM, Michaelgdrs said:

Fixed crash in primitives tool works , thank you very much.

Unfortunately , on click to place (screw model test) it gives Error : The parameter is incorrect.

Confirmed.

• Like 1

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic