3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

• Contributor
17 hours ago, digman said:

Here again. Test this... Under the camera tab select "Background / Lock Environment".  The Lights on the model go crazy when it is locked. Mine was locked and when I deselected it, the Rendering in the render room returned to normal. 

Will wait before installing video drivers... 

Unfortunately I can't reproduce it. Realtime rendering seems to be working fine with locked and unlocked environment.

I'm on GTX 660Ti with 378.66 drivers.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor
6 hours ago, digman said:

Beta version 4.7.27. 

Another possible UI bug.

Choose the Pose tool. Click on the Edit Pose Falloff. Adjust the control points on the curve. The Main UI will start to glitch. You will get flashing of the UI, movement of panels, panels not opened will appear for a second then go away. I have not tested other tools that have panels. This UI glitch reminds me of the one in the paint room when you open the smart material sub-editor in a Smart Material layer. Adjusting the curve in the panel will glitch too, same problem.  The paint room glitch has been around for several betas.

This is a beta so problems are expected. These do need addressing as it makes it hard to test the betas as the main UI keeps glitching up.

Confirmed. It seems that all modal dialogs that allow for curve tweaking are causing this issue.

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

In 4.7.27, after painting for a while, the UNDO function stops to working (at least while painting depth).

Edited by Carlosan

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, spacepainter said:

Can't get rid of the renderman window and it does not indicate when it's ready rendering very clearly.

Have you tried to uncheck the "SHOW RENDERED RESULT" box toward the bottom of the render (parameters) panel? Plus, you may need to scale your viewport (by resizing the render panel) so it has the same aspect ratio as your chosen render frame size. You should be able to see a yellow boundary around the frame. Then, when you click render, you should see a progress bar at the top

149392718248.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, dimitribastos said:

Yeah, again, the UNDO stops working after painting for a while.

My last post I said REDO but I meant UNDO. Sorry.

I too have noticed this when painting depth detail for awhile. If I make a mistake and try to undo it won't work so I have to resort to the eraser tool to get rid of the normal map detail instead.

Edited by Mystical
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

That is not a problem here. Have you unticked "show render result" before switching back to 3dcoat render.( 28 beta)

I have been plugging away with this since we got it ,and I have not really got any decent results yet.  Image is always blurry. ( yes ,i have made DOF zero.) I think denoising just interpolates the image and makes it worse.

Anyone got a result yet?

Any chance of making those refraction glasshaders work with the 3dcoat render. Or is that wishful thinking.....

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

thank you for the update.

I see you fixed the problem (switching from an attached material layer to no material layer).

If I could say something, it would be about the selection of smart material: when you select a layer with a smart material attached, 3DC selects always the first smart material in the library, not the attached, just see the image. Maybe it could be nice to select the right one for future use, or none at all, but it's up to you.

Just for sake of curiosity: when you modify the attached smart material, there's a way to save it into the library as a new material?

There's a way to copy/paste an attached material to other layers? And make them linked so you modify one and the other updates as well?

In the end, the attached material is not "attached", but just copied, isn't? I mean, you create a local copy of a smart material into a layer, so you can modify the attached material as you prefer without modify the original one in the library, and that's good for me, but... I was wondering if someone could need to have one material attached to multiply layers in order to modify one and update all, like "one to rule them all" option. It could be the smart material in the library or the one attached to many layers in different positions or attached to a group layer. I'm sure one could say that all the parts with the same material should stay on the same layer, but I'm curious what you think.

Anyway thank you for this feature, I think I'll use in the future, so I could say more about it as well as other artists, only then we can be more accurate in asking you what to change.

Cheers

smartMaterialSelection.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor
1 minute ago, thinkinmonkey said:

Andrew,

thank you for the update.

I see you fixed the problem (switching from an attached material layer to no material layer).

If I could say something, it would be about the selection of smart material: when you select a layer with a smart material attached, 3DC selects always the first smart material in the library, not the attached, just see the image. Maybe it could be nice to select the right one for future use, or none at all, but it's up to you.

Just for sake of curiosity: when you modify the attached smart material, there's a way to save it into the library as a new material?

There's a way to copy/paste an attached material to other layers? And make them linked so you modify one and the other updates as well?

In the end, the attached material is not "attached", but just copied, isn't? I mean, you create a local copy of a smart material into a layer, so you can modify the attached material as you prefer without modify the original one in the library, and that's good for me, but... I was wondering if someone could need to have one material attached to multiply layers in order to modify one and update all, like "one to rule them all" option. It could be the smart material in the library or the one attached to many layers in different positions or attached to a group layer. I'm sure one could say that all the parts with the same material should stay on the same layer, but I'm curious what you think.

Anyway thank you for this feature, I think I'll use in the future, so I could say more about it as well as other artists, only then we can be more accurate in asking you what to change.

Cheers

smartMaterialSelection.jpg

+1000000000

• Reputable Contributor

@ Andrew

Fixed UI flickering in curve edit window  

You got all but one flickering. Not tested in depth but saw this right away.  

Pose tool, Voxel mode. When you move a curve control point, it flickers quickly in text form what appears to be information about the model object.  

The sub-editor in a smart material layer has a flicker too when moving a control point though there you can not read any words.

Other panels moving seems to fixed now when moving a control point.

Beta version: 4.7.28

• Advanced Member

I'm kindof digging that I just found out 3dcoat is tying into RenderMan!!!

Can anybody point me to a discussion about this on the forum where I can ask fundamental questions? (Like 3dcoat passing the environment map over as a background and how to set this up with the "gradients" or images, etc....) I missed it where is was brought up.

On 5/5/2017 at 10:20 AM, stusutcliffe said:

That is not a problem here. Have you unticked "show render result" before switching back to 3dcoat render.( 28 beta)

I have been plugging away with this since we got it ,and I have not really got any decent results yet.  Image is always blurry. ( yes ,i have made DOF zero.) I think denoising just interpolates the image and makes it worse.

Anyone got a result yet?

I have the same problem. the image is clean if I use "render preview" but is blurry if I use "render". I try to lower the denoiser but it's still happening.

I don't understand how the SSS work with the shaders and Renderman and how to control it. there's a big difference between 3DC renderer and Renderman.

The render preview window is good, I'd like to do my final renderer this way. it even stay open when 3DC crash, that's really useful.

Is there a plan to support triplanar texturing ?

And could it be possible to use AlShaders in 3DC ? it's free, open source and it can be use in a lot of renderer.

Edited by Mr.Panka

Hey about the Render room in 3DC is there a way to make the background Transparent? / like after a Export? Would be really nice to see this integrated as soon as Possible. Unless I somehow missed this option all along.

• Advanced Member
17 minutes ago, Speike-Styles said:

Hey about the Render room in 3DC is there a way to make the background Transparent? / like after a Export? Would be really nice to see this integrated as soon as Possible. Unless I somehow missed this option all along.

There is a check box "store alpha channel" for transparent background. But I have found you always get a bit of "fuzz" around stuff whether you anti alias or not .So what I do is render a MASSIVE image then reduce the size later to try and eliminate it.

2 hours ago, Mr.Panka said:

I have the same problem. the image is clean if I use "render preview" but is blurry if I use "render". I try to lower the denoiser but it's still happening.

Have you exported from the render preview? When I tried it the image looked a lot darker than in the preview window.

There is another thread started for Renderman. It might be a good idea to start posting questions and tips there.

Ha Ha Ha I,m telling Mr Panka about his own thread........ doh!

Edited by stusutcliffe
added link

19 minutes ago, stusutcliffe said:

There is a check box "store alpha channel" for transparent background. But I have found you always get a bit of "fuzz" around stuff whether you anti alias or not .So what I do is render a MASSIVE image then reduce the size later to try and eliminate it.

Have you exported from the render preview? When I tried it the image looked a lot darker than in the preview window.

There is another thread started for Renderman. It might be a good idea to start posting questions and tips there.

Ha Ha Ha I,m telling Mr Panka about his own thread........ doh!

OK thanks thats good to know. Not on my main PC atm, but exporting large and resizing will do the job I guess. Is a PSD export a option here?

Hope a stable Release comes out soon On the Creators Update W10 did not work well with the latest Beta...

Edited by Speike-Styles

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic