3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

• Contributor

The original idea of freeform sculpting was to allow the freedom of not having to worry about topology, experiment, and if the result was good enough, push it the extra mile to the finish line.

With this roadblock it's still a dream.
So plan ahead is not acceptable.

• Like 3

• Contributor
3 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

What of a switch to voxels that accurately calculates the needed resolution? Best workaround: plan ahead.

The idea is good, but I think there's a good chance that the voxel density required for this kind of "lossless" conversion in some cases would be so high that it would lead to frequent system instability caused by workstations running out of RAM. Or viewport freezing on low end cards due to insane amount of triangles queued for rendering.

A total overhaul of 3D Coat's surface booleans system might be the only way to go. SideFX managed to pull off a similar task. They ditched their old cookie operator and completely rewrote boolean ops. The result is a boolean operator that I have yet to see failing a given task.

On my feature wish list for the sculpt room, this overhaul is a #1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajz3d said:

The idea is good, but I think there's a good chance that the voxel density required for this kind of "lossless" conversion in some cases would be so high that it would lead to frequent system instability caused by workstations running out of RAM. Or viewport freezing on low end cards due to insane amount of triangles queued for rendering.

A total overhaul of 3D Coat's surface booleans system might be the only way to go. SideFX managed to pull off a similar task. They ditched their old cookie operator and completely rewrote boolean ops. The result is a boolean operator that I have yet to see failing a given task.

I believe that this is the only right way 3DC should continue. I've been testing SideFX since it's release and it is pretty interesting how they solved the ( Cache ) Part and I love it! With C4D it`s a beast  ( Zero Lags, bugs Yay!):) I would really like to see the Developers of 3DC to take action to what the community is asking for instead of leaving us in the cold. Sorry for being harsh, but you guys really need to focus on repairing the bugs and stop adding new ones. Still good job with your Renderman Plugin ( not needed, but ok. ) The 3DC community from Beginner to Professional can use your Product with a speed up workflow, but the Program needs some cleaning. I myself have slowed down fighting the frustrations with 3DC bugs and errors. It feels very slapped together and I am hoping for the day a clean and (True Stable Version ) to come out..

It would be real nice to see Pilgway grow as a Strong tree and not  melt with the wrong melting cheese.. ( if you understand the metaphor)

Edited by Speike-Styles
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ajz3d said:

+ 1000

hello,

It would be nice to have a release note for the Mac & Linux version too. It's hard to know if any of the bugs are solved (no loading bar, incremental rendering not working on Retina display, non-US keyboard not recognised).

Also, Is it possible to have an shader for emissive light ? (I know you can do it with smart materials, it would just be a little faster in some cases).

• Reputable Contributor
23 hours ago, ajz3d said:

I've been waiting for 4+ yrs for Sculpt Layers, and it has one of the highest levels of community support on Trello, and even this forum. Andrew is supposedly focused on the Paint workspace, so who knows when he'll ever get back around to the Sculpt and Retopo workspaces.

On 5/26/2017 at 0:22 PM, tartinebrule said:

Still no luck producing a build for Linux that would finally allow us to be on par with windows in terms of feature and bug fix?

come on... I made it easy for you, just copy paste in a terminal :

gcc -o 3dcaot 3dcoat -I

Thanks!

T.

• Advanced Member

Think I found a new bug in 4.7.29 with the brush/aitrbrush tool in the paint room. If I am using the brush tool in stamp mode and I apply color/normals to my model in the texture editor view (2D view) it seems to level artifacts all over before I let go of the mouse button. Trying to hit the undo key does not remove these artifacts either. I have to manually paint them away. 

• Advanced Member

Hi I happend to find some metalness, and color (Alberto) seems not restrict correctly, with icon or layer option.

1 load obj in Paint room,  I set new layer for metalness , color, and roughness.  

2 I set metalness (black and white) on metalness layer, (color wihte some part), set all other opacity as zero. but metalness opacity as 100% about this layer.

3 In texture editor, I set view as color. to see diffuse color texture. I believe it should be perfect newtral grey, but actually the color seems effected by metalness too.

4 Then I try to erase "color only"  from Top menu>Layers>erase unfrozen part., but set Normal and glossy channel disable. (by icons) to restrict erase only about color.

5 now it seems remove "color" from metalness layer, but at same time it remove all metalness white color. then fill black again.

through this step, I set layer visible only about metralness and Layer zero. then other layer cause no effect.  and I only modify texture on metalness lyaer.   If  metalness will not be separated from color channel?  

Edited by tokikake
add detail more

• Advanced Member

Ah sorry I could confirm, when I export color map it seem not effected by metal layer. :blush:

I believed 2d texture editor with color mode, may show color which not effected by Metalness,(alberto)  but it seems count metalness as same as smoth shading, then it not matter.

(though I hope if there will be option (alberto color only option), to quick see current alberto map which not effected metalness and roughness, without change metalness opacity,.

4.7.30 [beta]

- Possibility to change resolution of texture, attached materials will be automatically resmpled.

- a lot of problems related to attached materials fixed

- correctly updated material ball in layer attachment preview.

- square alphas support.

- Problems of paste UV fixed.

• Like 7

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

4.7.30 [beta]

- Possibility to change resolution of texture, attached materials will be automatically resmpled.

- a lot of problems related to attached materials fixed

- correctly updated material ball in layer attachment preview.

- square alphas support.

- Problems of paste UV fixed.

Thanks a lot for the square alpha support. :good2:

Folders for the Preset panel... hint hint... LOL...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

"better support of Square Alphas, Less clipped at edges"

Good news as I was just going to post my test results showing the clipped edges problem. I will test today later and report back here with the results.

Select Layer0

Attach any smart material - the layer is visually filled

Now detach the smart material - the layer keep filled by the smart material.

---------------------------------

In the download file only the version GL is v31. DX still is version 30

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

The clipping is less but still noticeable at the bottom. Some alphas will revel it more than others. The higher your resolution the less noticeable but still there. 

A little more tweeking at the bottom. The top is much much better, i can at times see just a very tiny clip but I do not know if that can be worked more. That might be as close as you can get. 

Thanks for working on this...

almost.PNG

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Also, where is this square alpha support? I was in the process of recording a tutorial showing this new support, and 3D Coat made me look stupid. Glad it wasn't live at Siggraph or some public demonstration.

149718346424.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

I'm stumped. Tried to delete all the config files from the MyDocs/3dcoat 4.7 folder > re-install 4.7.30 and 4.7.31 and none of them work. Start with a cube or human character from splash screen > voxel sculpting = ZIP. ZERO. NO-GO. NADA. NIL. NOTHING. Everything outside the  brush circle gets clipped.

• Reputable Contributor
26 minutes ago, Thomas Cheng said:

I had to delete my old square alpha and reimport it. It should automatically be applied by detecting and cropped to the edge of it.  At that is what worked for me.

14 hours ago, digman said:

The clipping is less but still noticeable at the bottom. Some alphas will revel it more than others. The higher your resolution the less noticeable but still there. 

A little more tweeking at the bottom. The top is much much better, i can at times see just a very tiny clip but I do not know if that can be worked more. That might be as close as you can get. 

Thanks for working on this...

Ah yes! good find Thomas... My post is now incorrect. Once I imported the square alphas again, no more clipping. The alpha image no longer goes to the corners of the brush radius preventing the clipping...

Capture456.JPG

Edited by digman
added picture
  • Like 1

//edit

Solved in version 4.7.32

-----------------------------------------

Square Alphas test using simple cheker UV square image as Alpha.

- The edges are not straight but rounded.

- Using Strokes > Stamp Mode, cant drag outside the model to paint a bigger area. The mesh geometry is the limit for the LMB drag operation.

Square alpha.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Square Alphas test using simple cheker UV square image as Alpha.

- The edges are not straight but rounded.

- Using Strokes > Stamp Mode, cant drag outside the model to paint a bigger area. The mesh geometry is the limit for the LMB drag operation.

I tested and confirm this... I was mistaken in my first my first responding to Carlosan post.The regular stamp tool does not get curved but the drag stamp tool mode does...

Edited by digman
added picture

• Reputable Contributor

Ah, square alphas, nice...

Used the regular stamp with a alpha. Brush options set at fade on edge. Line up the model on the grid with snapping, Changed the views with the keypad. 

Not shown for quality, yes the motar is reversed plus no ending of the block pattern at the corners just do to the type of alpha. :D

Cool to have square alpha support now.

square.JPG

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

I do notice that the OpenGL version doesn't seem to work with certain alpha brushes (can't use it unless I make the brush small and it still seems random when it wants to work or not), while the DX version works fine with it. Not sure if it is a driver issue or a bug in 3D Coat. Anyone else notices this?

Edited by Thomas Cheng

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic