3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

On 6/10/2017 at 2:45 PM, Mr.Panka said:

4.7.30 [beta] on Mac

Shaders (except in "default" and "skins" folders) are not working anymore. When I try to use them, it display the default shader.

3Dc can't find Renderman.

You are right about shaders. Will look into them.
Regarding "Render Man": you should define environment variable "RMANTREE" with location of "RenderMan Server". For example, to define environment variable with path to "RenderMan Server" under macOS Sierra do the following:
1. Run  Launchpad > Script Editor > New Document  and enter commands
do shell script "launchctl setenv RMANTREE /Applications/Pixar/RenderManProServer-21.4/"
2. File > Save... > Save As: Environment Variables (name it as you wish) > Where: HOME > File Format: Application
3. System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items > + > add file HOME/Environment Variables
4. Restart your Mac.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 6/11/2017 at 8:21 AM, Thomas Cheng said:

I had to delete my old square alpha and reimport it. It should automatically be applied by detecting and cropped to the edge of it.  That is what worked for me.

Just tested this, and it seems it works. But, it's still a work around, rather than a feature that works the way one would expect.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I've downloaded the latest .31 Are the square alphas under the Stencils Tab or Alphas Tab? I have no folder for Squares under the Alphas tab.

Update: Ok just saw the tutorial :) I actually thought I would be able to create square alphas using the curves in the same way we can create circular ones.

Edited by insignet

• Reputable Contributor
36 minutes ago, insignet said:

I've downloaded the latest .31 Are the square alphas under the Stencils Tab or Alphas Tab? I have no folder for Squares under the Alphas tab.

It's for Brush alphas, only. Stencils don't get clipped outside an arbitrary radial boundary (Brush radius).

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Any new square alphas that are created externally do not need any reworking in Photoshop only the currently installed ones or loading ones that are part of a 3DC extension, created before square alpha support. Just adding that for anyone's FYI.

What I like is now you can make a square alpha that fills the entire image you are creating and it will not get clipped. You no longer have to scale your alpha stencil leaving some empty border around it when creating it. 

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Is there perhaps a memory leak with these latest beta versions?  My machine seems to hang indefinitely and also I've experienced a few blue screens.  Just thought I'd let you know this is happening.  I'll of course investigate further but it only seems to happen when I run 3DCoat.

1 - Attach to the current layer

2 - Detach Material

3 - The layer keep filled with the last material attached

//edit

It is not a bug. It is expected. Detouching just allows you to modify layer with other material if you don't want the layer to be filled with just one material. Andrew

------------------------------

Same with layer0, will be good to prevent Layer0 to be filled or attached by materials.

- Select Layer0

Attach any smart material - the layer is visually filled

Now detach the smart material - the layer keep filled by the smart material.

• Advanced Member

Hi guys ! 

I got an issue with fill tool, when I fill "by layer" I got strange dithering all over the model, not sure if this is an isolated bug that I only have.

Steps to reproduce :

-Open the default robot given by 3dcoat
-Choose FIll tool
-Enable Gradient mode
-Pick one point, then move both where you want
-hit layer in order to fill the entire layer ( I did it into "Layer 9" )

> I got no issue if I fill the layer piece by piece, but it's a real pain =/ 

By the way, will it be possible to kill all "warning" windows about "are you sure you want to do this action ?" by adding some "expert mode" enable hitbox or something alike ?

( And, well, thanks for bringing back those gradient points, I missed them a lot ! )

Another "bug" I found out was about the new curvature baking system, it seems like the long range curvature is in fact a simple ambient occlusion when pushed to its limits, for example take that same robot and bake a curvature with settings of the second screenshot, and look at the texture editor to understand the issue ; the curvature seems to bake contacts zones as a regular occlusion would do, but also gives a cool smoothing over all hard edges which gives an awesome conrtol when doing smartmaterials. THe fact is that it's possible to make cool things with this long range curvature, but I think that another setting ( in addition to the long range & regular curvature settings ) with only smoother cavity/convexity baking could be useful as well =)

Thanks for the huge amount of excellent work & support guys ! Have a nice week-end =)

Capture-d'écran-2017-06-17-18.55.jpg

Capture-d'écran-2017-06-17-19.07.jpg

Capture-d'écran-2017-06-17-19.10.jpg

• Advanced Member

Ok, so I splitted the mesh by elements on 3dsmax, then reimported it on 3dcoat, it worked fine but the curvature took way more time to be computed ( it usually take few seconds, now it took some minutes ). I guess that separate by "connective picking" would lead to that same huge bake time, but that way we could keep our lowpoly's element hierarchy clean, as we dont always need to explode our models and we need sometimes to keep it the way we want in order to have some premade group selections.

• Advanced Member
On 2017-6-15 at 6:11 PM, Carlosan said:

Your graphic drivers are up to date ?

Yep, drivers all up to date.  I can work for an hour maybe then all of a sudden the mouse cursor will freeze and my whole machine will seize up.  This ONLY happens when running these latest beta releases.  

I will roll back until I find one where this doesn't happen.

*EDIT*

Ok so I've been using version 4.7.29(DX64) on Windows 10 version.  So far so good.  No freezing or hanging PC.

• Contributor

I've noticed a bunch of regressions in the scripting model. They pretty much break most of the scripts that worked so far.

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2296

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2295

http://3dcoat.com/mantis/view.php?id=2294

There's also been a change in ShowFloatingMessage function which isn't reflected in the documentation. It now accepts three arguments, with the third, a boolean, being the recent addition.

• Like 1

I found a UDIM numbering issue

I import a mesh with 6 udims in retopo room
I bake , then in paint room, the Udims tiles are in wrong order

original udim order :         1001   1002   1003  1004  1005  1006
3dc correponding order :   1006   1005   1004  1002  1003   1001

• Reputable Contributor
On 6/21/2017 at 6:51 AM, Frimasson said:

I can't import in surface / sculpt room a mesh higher that 25 millions polys, without a virtual memory error.
I'm on Win7, with 64 go of ram

Can you try it, with the layer set in Surface Mode? In voxel mode, the result might be massive.

• Reputable Contributor
17 minutes ago, Frimasson said:

The layer was in surface mode.

Please let Andrew know about this (support@3dcoat.com), so he can address it. If you can handle 50-100+ million polys in the scene, one should be able to import a similar amount, in surface mode.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:53 AM, Grimm said:

+1, any news on a new Linux version?

Currently working on Linux build. By the way, will it be ok if the new build will require latest Linux Ubuntu (particularly 16 and above)? What Linux distros do you have? Please report me directly on my e-mail "support DOT linux AT 3dcoat DOT com".

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hi guys !

I've got an issue that is here since several builds, here it's from the 4.7.24. The issue is about curvature baking on 3dCoat's default Tile plane, it has some artifacts on UVs borders and partially on the half of the texture.

Steps to reproduce :
- open the default tile
- paint on a new layer something which use depth parameter. Paint on seams and paint large
- bake a curvature with its default options
- activate curvature's layer visibility and show up seams, then look close at them
( if it's not clear toggle the "flat shade" mode )

Almost same issue on AO but only on half of the UVs ( bake a default AO and choose Standard Blending mode to see it )

TileIssue.jpg

TileIssue_Spotted.jpg

TileIssue_Spotted_AO.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, Vexod14 said:

Hi guys !

I've got an issue that is here since several builds, here it's from the 4.7.24. The issue is about curvature baking on 3dCoat's default Tile plane, it has some artifacts on UVs borders and partially on the half of the texture.

Steps to reproduce :
- open the default tile
- paint on a new layer something which use depth parameter. Paint on seams and paint large
- bake a curvature with its default options
- activate curvature's layer visibility and show up seams, then look close at them
( if it's not clear toggle the "flat shade" mode )

Almost same issue on AO but only on half of the UVs ( bake a default AO and choose Standard Blending mode to see it )

TileIssue.jpg

TileIssue_Spotted.jpg

TileIssue_Spotted_AO.jpg

Thought I saw some UV map related fixes in recent builds. Have you tried to update to 4.7.32?

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic