3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

• Advanced Member

Same issue on 4.7.32, I noticed it's easier to view it when you use the long range curvature.

I also noticed that this issue pattern follow the tileplane's edges, I tried with a custom tileplane from maxand I got the same issue only on UV seams ( and btw the only edges of the mesh except triangulated ones )

Edited by Vexod14

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Vexod14 said:

Same issue on 4.7.32, I noticed it's easier to view it when you use the long range curvature.

I also noticed that this issue pattern follow the tileplane's edges, I tried with a custom tileplane from maxand I got the same issue only on UV seams ( and btw the only edges of the mesh except triangulated ones )

Make sure to send that to Andrew (support@3DCoat.com) so he can fix it

• Like 1

I used the new baking tool added in march, and i've got a couple of improvement suggestions :

1 : to be able to switch on / off the symetry during the paint process
2 : to have a backface culling option. Useful especially on thin surfaces
3 : a tool to tweak vertex by vertex the bake depth

• Like 1

Hey Andrew.

Looks like the gradient mode nodes are broken again in 4.7.32. They do not show up at all, giving the user zero control over how to place the gradient. It works as expected in 4.7.31. Could you take a look at this? Thanks!

• Advanced Member

Has the location for setting a custom render size for the 3D Coat Hardware renderer changed? I noticed in my older version of 3D Coat (4.7.23) there is an option for Render View where you can select whole view or custom view size then input the pixel size. In 4.7.32 the custom view option appears missing (it was originally above the Render Size option). The only option at the top available is the Render Size option that only has preset sizes available, no way to set custom size.

• Advanced Member
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, Mystical said:

Has the location for setting a custom render size for the 3D Coat Hardware renderer changed? I noticed in my older version of 3D Coat (4.7.23) there is an option for Render View where you can select whole view or custom view size then input the pixel size. In 4.7.32 the custom view option appears missing (it was originally above the Render Size option). The only option at the top available is the Render Size option that only has preset sizes available, no way to set custom size.

Interesting. Looks like it's tied to the monitor resolution!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, BurrMan said:

Interesting. Looks like it's tied to the monitor resolution!

Thank you for confirming I'm not just going crazy. I was certain the custom resolution option was missing and not just moved. The lowest resolution it gives me is 3836 x 1041 which I thought was an odd resolution option but it probably has something to do with the fact I have 3D Coat spread across 2 different monitors and it somehow calculates the resolution options that way. Either way custom resolution settings are missing and hopefully can come back in a future build.

Here's a screenshot of the bug:

J9ytOCM.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/28/2017 at 8:44 PM, Javis said:

Hey Andrew.

Looks like the gradient mode nodes are broken again in 4.7.32. They do not show up at all, giving the user zero control over how to place the gradient. It works as expected in 4.7.31. Could you take a look at this? Thanks!

Can see the nodes, but the fill is noisy

G1.jpg

• Advanced Member

got that issue of noisy fill too, but only when I do it "by layer". Filling the mesh piece by piece work fine for me ( I tried it on the default robot, maybe it's issued when you only have one single part as the sphere has I guess )

Just a short question someone can answer me:

Did someone asked for a feature request to save used smart materials within scenes?

I know smart materials are saved in the user folder currently. But if you share your scene with someone, then you have to export the smart materials as a 3bpack seperately.

But what do you do, if you change your pc load the 3b backup scene and do not have any chance to get access to the workstation where you have created the origin scene? You have lost your smart materials then...

So you know what I mean? This is something really important and another reason for the upcoming dynamic smart materials features.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Exactly. Something like this.

I know this kind of project organisation from softimage or Maya. The solution is good. So why not port it to 3D Coat?

Thank you Carlos

• Like 2

On 6/25/2017 at 0:16 PM, SERGYI said:

Currently working on Linux build. By the way, will it be ok if the new build will require latest Linux Ubuntu (particularly 16 and above)? What Linux distros do you have? Please report me directly on my e-mail "support DOT linux AT 3dcoat DOT com".

Hello. Any progress on that build?

T.

Hey, guys! Had some spare time and I "remastered" the splash screen picture. Hope, you'll like it.
I've zipped the splash screen images, you can replace (backup original) files at C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V4.7.x\Splash\ folder.

Splash.zip

demo.png

• Like 3

I found a strange bug in 4.7.34. With the retopo Split Rings tool it very often makes two splits right next to each other. so close together that you almost can't see the row of polys between them. The only way I noticed is that some of the points get merged, creating a triangle so I saw them when I was trying to clean up triangles from my mesh.

Video:"

On 7/3/2017 at 4:47 AM, Carlosan said:

Can see the nodes, but the fill is noisy

G1.jpg

I'm getting the same bug with the noise, when attempting to fill by layer or surface material.

I'm also still not seeing the nodes in build 4.7.32. I did a fresh install and everything. I go right back to build 4.7.31, and I can see the nodes.

• Like 1

One question to attached smart materials:

How do I change a smart material AT ONCE that is attached to multiple layers please? I mean the changes have to be refreshed in all attached layers simultanous.

I did not found something like this. Is this feature still in development?

Whitch advantages do I have currently with the new system? At the moment it is a advanced refill mode with a thumbnail in the layer and the possibility to edit the attached smart material (but only local). The real important advantages from linked materials are still missing.

Or do I overlook something?

If this topic was already discussed, then I missed it. So can you tell me the result of the discussion and when we will get real linked smart materials?

I don't know if someone already wrote a small concept for a better smart material system. So I try to do it here. In my opinion it is really easy to understand. Of course I do not know how hard the follwing features are to code. But anyway.

Advanced smart material concept ideas by Christoph:

What is a LINKED smart material in 3D Coat in the future?

You can link a smart material to one or more layers. This means you click with the RMB on a smart material within your smart material library and set this material to an active paint layer. You can link one material to as many layers as you want. What happens then?

a ) If you change the origin linked material in the library, then ALL linked layers gets the new smart material values and refreshes immediately.
b ) If you change a linked material locally (by clicking the RMB layer menu) then the same happen like in step a: all linked layers and the origin material in the library refreshes.

And why this? Because they are ALL "linked". They are all using the same informations. It is logic isn't it?

What is an ATTACHED/LOCAL smart material in 3D Coat?

I like the idea to convert a linked smart material to "local" or attach it to an individual layer to use it there only. I like the word "local" in this case more then attached.

So what does an attached or local material mean?
a ) You can attach a material to one or multiple layers one by one. But every layer with an ATTACHED material became idividual.
You can change individual smart material values, but only the layer where the material is attached refreshes.
No changes in other layers.
No changes in the main library.
Just local changes.

Example:
You have an attached red material in layer A and layer B. Both has the same attached material. But if you change one of them, only the changed layer gets the new values. The other one stays. This is the current model we have in 3D Coat.

Result

We should have three kind of paint layer situations in the future:

1 ) A layer with an linked smart material: One or more layers has linked materials. All this layer content changes, as soon as we change the linked smart material. By using the layer menu or by changing it in the main library.

2 ) A layer with an local/attached layer: One or more layers has attached materials. Every material is individual. You can change them locally. Even the origin material in the library will not refresh if you change a layer whitch was attached with it. Every information ist local. A small icon inside the material thumbnail in the layer could mark a local layer material.

3 ) A combi layer (default). What is a combi layer?
A combi layer is a combination of different paint informations. You have painted with several smart materials or just colors within this single layer. There is no specific linking or attachment to a single material because you used multiple painting informations and colors. So 3D Coat do not know (yet) what part in the layer have to be refreshed. But if you link or attach a new material to a combi layer, all information will be replaced by the new material. And you have a situation like point 1 or 2 above.

So. What is the problem to understand this? It would serve nearly all needs, right?

Thank you for your time
Chris

PS: Maybe in the future Andrew will develop a way to link to locally painted strokes. So we can maybe refresh a painted area of a single layer. But this is science fiction for now...

• Like 4

• Reputable Contributor

I just noticed that 4.7.33 is posted at the beta download section... No notice here about the new beta version so curious as to what this version brings to the table or bug fixes. Thanks.

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

4.7.34 [beta]

- square alphas complete support, even older ones will act correctly.

- possibility to change font size in Preferences->Theme. 4K monitors support. Font will be automatically changed to big size on large resolution.

- "File->Import multiple objects" to import multiple objects in diferent ways.

- Fixed memory leaks during materuals to layers attaching

- Checkbox in Underccuts/bas relief to limit effect below the plane.

- Import AO with channel picking

- Problem of laggy rotation of symmetry plane in General mode fixed. Picking point 2 is also fixed.

- Select all in tweak room

- Possibility to switch between 2 modes during navigation - around Y and free rotation. See navigation panel.

I think it should be stable build, but need approving.

• Like 5

• Advanced Member

I've just tested it, and I still got the issue on full layer fill in gradient mode depicted by Carlosan and I. The issue on the default TilePlane's curvature/AO bake are still here too.

But as I guess we're not enough users working with the tileplane intensively, just the gradient issue should be fixed ( btw I may find a workarround to generate my curvature/AO on external software )

Edited by Vexod14
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Yes, fill entire layer in gradient mode is noisy

4.7.34.jpg

Also, looks like when Font Size is set to Auto or Medium it's too big on 1920x1200, but when it's set to Small - it's too small or unclear, kind of distorted font:

Fonts.jpg

Oh, new rotation mode is awesome! Thanks alot!

Edited by druh0o
  • Like 1

V 4.7.34: Render room seems to be buggy. Made a quick test with a default sphere (Per pixel mode).

3DC render does not stop when Realtime Render is on. After switching off, there are artefacts on the sphere.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Taros said:

V 4.7.34: Render room seems to be buggy. Made a quick test with a default sphere (Per pixel mode).

3DC render does not stop when Realtime Render is on. After switching off, there are artefacts on the sphere.

Can confirm render room leaves artifacts on my models. Leaving the room and coming back does not fix it either. Also the default 3D-Coat renderer is still missing the custom render size options. It has been this was at least since .32

Edit: I don't seem to see the "File->Import multiple objects" option either. I just see the regular import objects selection.

Edited by Mystical

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic