3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

• Advanced Member

I'm having issues using Renderman on Linux.  3D-Coat complains that it isn't installed, although I have it installed and running on my system.  I have it working with the Blender plugin and I can run it via the command line.  

My system is Linux Mint 18.2 and Renderman is installed in /opt/pixar/RenderManProServer-21.3
Using 3D-Coat version 4.7.36, although the window header says 4.7.35

Is there any way to point 3D-Coat to the install?  I didn't find any preferences to set that. :(

Bug! Smart Materials UV mapping broken 4.7.36

When applying smart materials if mapping type is set to UV instead of cube, when applied to mesh the material will not appear correctly compared to Smart Preview Window. Specifically, effects of layers and depth seem greatly reduced, leaving the solid color of the base layer to be the dominant feature.

To repeat

Select smart material and enter Smart Material Editor.

Change Preferred Mapping from CUBE to UV

Apply material to model.

Note the difference between Preview Window and painted model.

• Advanced Member

Found a bug in 4.7.36 in the paint room:

When attempting to import external textures to a specific model if the drop down list to choose the model is too long the models on the bottom of the list cannot be clicked. Here is a screenshot showing the issue:

waTXy3T.png

Attempting to click the name with a mouse doesn't work which renders the import textures option essentially blocked. I think if the window is smaller and not as close to the bottom of the screen it would be easier to scroll and click. Possibly making the arrow keys and enter key to select an option would be nice as well. Only 'temporary' fix I found is I had to delete one of my other objects but that is an unfortunate workaround when I need them all in the same paint room.

Edited by Mystical

• Reputable Contributor

Today I installed a good hdr image for 3DC and the picture shows the lighting result. So either my Beta 4.7.35 and .36 are buggered or it is a bug. 

I tested a few other hdrs and the same result even ones that I installed before. I can switch back to a default 3DC hdr and it works.

Could someone test adding a new hdr or exr in 3DC beta version 4.7.36 and see if you get the same result as I did.

If you are wondering, smooth shade is turned on.

strange.PNG

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

I've imported this 3D scan to clean up in Surface mode and decimated it but then it gets all these little holes after decimation. When I try to use Close Holes the program freezes up.

08.22.2017-21.33.png

Be sure to look from the other side to confirm they are holes and not flipped normal!

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

I didn't do voxels first because it's not a solid mesh, the whole bottom is ope and a bit messy.

Did you give it some thickness on import so that open-sided objects can be voxelized properly?

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

AbnRanger has it correct. If my scanned model is not closed. I import with thickness, using only the thickness for inner. Once the model is voxeized, I close all holes and run fill voids to fill the interior of the voxel object. I will use the cut off tool to silce off parts of the model to make sure all has been closed and no cavities are left. I just undo after each section cut , then rinse of repeat. Cavities in the voxel object can cause Autopo to fail.

I stick with voxel mode when repairing scanned meshes, once fixed of course you can switch to surface mode if needed.

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

Thanks guys I didn't mean to turn this into a support post, just wanted to report the bug with the little holes.

I don't know that it is a bug. Probably just a bad mesh, with inverted normals. I import models all the time and don't get that problem. That tells me your issue is with your mesh, somehow. I know in 3ds Max, you can add an EDIT NORMALS modifier > RESET the normals and all is right in the world. :D Perhaps your primary 3D app has something similar?

4.7.37 [beta]

- Possibility to assign fixed bump to smart material, independent from pen radius and depth.

- Fixed different problems in retopo primitives. 

- Fixed breaking UV-s in Intrude/Shell (retopo modeling tools)

- Fixed a lot of problems relater to material attaching, including crashes, undo, memory leaks, correct resizing of smart material.

- If there are too many folders in materials/stencils etc, they will be represented as droplist.

- Re-attaching material if you select other material over layer with attachment. 

- Correct displacement visualisation in ppp approach.

- Correct displacement import, scaling coefficient correctly used.

- Warning about missing cache to avoid loosing cached volumes.

• Like 7

• Advanced Member

One problem I'm facing with 4.7.36 is that the Smart Material Interface, once attached to a layer, simply breaks When 3D-Coat auto-saves. This is very specific indeed. I need to close the SM Editor and then reopen in order to fix it. Can anyone confirm? 

• Contributor

Many many MANY thanks for this update , i was struggling with my latest work with at least half of those issues , AWESOME SUPPORT and imagine that i 

havent report not even one of them for fixing.

• Reputable Contributor

We still have this NASTY problem with 3D Coat wigging out when there are a lot of brushes or materials in a drop list menu. This has been going on for a few years, now and I've reported more times than I can count. Can we PLEASE, PLEASE do something about this?

• Like 2

• Daniel changed the title to 3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan locked this topic