3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

4.7.11 and above

Primitives , take a screw or a bolt , scale it down.

Apply , then click on click , click on surface or voxels and it looses its scale to a random one.

I got two crashes within an hour while sculpting on a voxel layer in 4.7.12.

I was alternating between Clay, Scrape, Move and Extrude tools, with an occasional Cut-Off.

Last time 3D-Coat crashed right after I tried to change tool to Clay-based voxel tool preset, using Spacebar->1 quickpanel.

• Like 1

I got a lot of crashes on 4.7.13 while creating primitives with the click on place checked, while transfirming the gizmo and when I hit apply.  The same scene on 4.7.6 worked just fine with the same workflow.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dimitribastos said:

I got a lot of crashes on 4.7.13 while creating primitives with the click on place checked, while transfirming the gizmo and when I hit apply.  The same scene on 4.7.6 worked just fine with the same workflow.

Please email Andrew (support@3dcoat.com). He may be so busy that he doesn't check this forum thread for a few days. But he will want to know that, for sure

• Like 2

On 11/6/2016 at 8:42 AM, AbnRanger said:

Another dirt-cheap option is to "rent" Mudbox and try it's Auto-Retopo toolset, if it's not quite working right in 3D Coat. Modo 10.2 now has Auto-Retopo, so if that's another option for those already using Modo.

I can't do complex and highpoly autoretopo with Modo. It always freezes halfway through. Anyway they just added it so don't expect too much.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, geo_n said:

I can't do complex and highpoly autoretopo with Modo. It always freezes halfway through. Anyway they just added it so don't expect too much.

I didn't get Modo 10 yet, but even from a very short official video clip on youtube demonstrating that feature I could see that it would probably not be usable. From what I've seen it generates a 'Dynamesh'-like quad mesh. Editing poly flow using curves was mentioned, but the result wasn't shown. Figures...

Doesn't surprise me that it freezes halfway through. Yet another half-baked Modo feature it seems... 

ZBrush has the most usable autopo to date, and even that is far from perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilson66 said:

I didn't get Modo 10 yet, but even from a very short official video clip on youtube demonstrating that feature I could see that it would probably not be usable. From what I've seen it generates a 'Dynamesh'-like quad mesh. Editing poly flow using curves was mentioned, but the result wasn't shown. Figures...

Doesn't surprise me that it freezes halfway through. Yet another half-baked Modo feature it seems... 

ZBrush has the most usable autopo to date, and even that is far from perfect.

Modos auto retopology is the same as 3DCs, more or less. ZB does have the best implementation thus far, and, like you said, it's far from perfect.

What confuses me is that so many people put so much stock into an auto function for generated meshes. I doubt unless serious advances are made, it will still be at least another 5-10 years away from being truly usable, in the way that you might not be able tell if it was modeled by hand or automatically generated. I stress might, because even then it might not be quite there.

In the mean time, get to modeling, the whole lot of you! ;)

• Like 2

Hey Dimitri. That's a pretty serious regression, showstopper level., I would definitely send an email directly to Andrew.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dimitribastos said:

@AbnRanger, do I need to send an email considering that I uploaded about 5 or 6 bug/crash report due to this issue?

Those may be referenced, but they aren't very helpful without the user explaining what seemed to cause it and when it happened. I would just mention BUG in your email subject title. Andrew typically will stop what he is doing to fix a bug.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Javis said:

Modos auto retopology is the same as 3DCs, more or less.

Are you able to autoretopo an object around +1.5million polys? Modo just freezes for me.
I'm using a laptop though with i5 5200, 16gig ram.

But with the same hardware I am able to autoretopo in 3dc or zbrush and produced a mesh good enough for 3dprinting with no issues. That's the usefulness of autoretopo for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geo_n said:

Are you able to autoretopo an object around +1.5million polys? Modo just freezes for me.
I'm using a laptop though with i5 5200, 16gig ram.

But with the same hardware I am able to autoretopo in 3dc or zbrush and produced a mesh good enough for 3dprinting with no issues. That's the usefulness of autoretopo for me.

I haven't gone that high poly on any of my tests yet, but I'll give a go this weekend if I get some time. I do think Modos auto retopology is slower overall, than 3DCs. The topology though is more or less the same, with only slightly varying results.

For comparison, my main workstation is an i7 4770K, 16GB ram.

• Like 1

- Export Depth along Y correcly exports PBR compatible result. Shader will be baked to the textures as well.

- Fixed crash in primitives tool

- Possibility to overwrite depth of current layer over bottom ones, see layers options - see Replace depth and Layer height

- Gizmo in Bas-relief visible again

• Like 4

Fixed crash in primitives tool works , thank you very much.

Unfortunately , on click to place (screw model test) it gives Error : The parameter is incorrect.

Retopo Room:

- Freeze using QuadPaint & QuadStripTool.

- Add/Split tool: notorious delay creating new faces after last click.

QuadPaint.jpgQuadStripTool.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/13/2016 at 5:40 AM, Carlosan said:

Retopo Room:

- Freeze using QuadPaint & QuadStripTool.

- Add/Split tool: notorious delay creating new faces after last click.

QuadPaint.jpgQuadStripTool.jpg

Confirmed.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 0:12 AM, Michaelgdrs said:

Fixed crash in primitives tool works , thank you very much.

Unfortunately , on click to place (screw model test) it gives Error : The parameter is incorrect.

Confirmed.

• Like 1

On 12 listopad 2016 at 8:47 AM, Andrew Shpagin said:

- Possibility to overwrite depth of current layer over bottom ones, see layers options - see Replace depth and Layer height

Many thanks for this feature! :good2:

On 5.11.2016 at 6:20 PM, digman said:

You are both correct in your statements but autopo fails also which is a correct statement on my part.

I can not show the model but you can see a little of the autopo mesh in question.  You will see a few errors at the top of the retopo mesh because these areas are thin.

I would clean this up by manual fixing but I am just showing for density atm.

Now the reason I want denser polygons at the top of the tooth is so I can capture this area better.  There is enough polygons for the autopo to create denser areas. There are some larger flat areas on the model that do not need as many polygons as the autopo is putting there.

I ran one autopo with no density and the other with a painted density setting all the way up to 5.  There no difference.  Now on some models painting density will work at times but others nope...

Sometimes a scanned model will come out looking fine say a animal skull and other times, well has shown in the picture of autopo of a animal skull. No voids on both though the second skull is more complicated than the other. 30,000 polygons for the skull was my polygon target amount. 

I am addressing this in hopes that Andrew will revisit the autopo. At one time he said he had a better way, hopefully one lest prone to errors. 

In the work I am doing, I can not hope that the autopo will work, it "needs" to work.

You guys know me well enough that I will only report when I really think there is a problem.

No density.PNG

Capture.PNG

Hi digman. 

I  don't know if someone already mentioned it but have you checked for this:

- Have your mesh open surface/missing faces?

- did you set it to uniform scale?

Best wishes

Chris

- Spline points are in 3D in almost all cases (except manual detouching). It means you may rotate curve in 3D even if points are outside the model.

- Export Depth along Y problem fixed, now sader baked more correctly, transform of object correctly treated for shader baking, painted color correctly blended with shader.

- Borderline for VoxExtrude etc visible again

- right align of read-only numerical controls

- A lot of polishing in retopo primitives

• Like 4

Hey Andrew. Thanks for all the updates recently. :)

Is there any way you could look at performance when using multiple layers? I'm seeing a huge dip in performance when I have about 20 layers.

Also there is a really nasty bug that makes syncing with PS completely unusable, when you have folders in the layers panel. When you sync with PS, save your PS file and come back to 3DC, the layers are all completely re-ordered in some arbitrary re-ordering. Some layers that were in folders are now in a different folder, and all of the folders are now nested within one another, when before they were siblings. These changes were not made by me in PS or 3DC, and required a fair amount of work to re-order.

Thanks!

• Like 2