3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

Hi I am glad this is not just me that is having these Problems. As I wrote before on a upper post.  It seems that if you Hide with Von-Hide tool and do it to many times the 3DC starts acting spooked and when you try to undo.

Thank you.

in 4.7.24 i am noticing this issue. 

If i use the 'cut off' tool with the vertex lasso (as an example) if i hold shift to draw out straight lines, i can no longer draw and click with shift held down to click a point down UNLESS its on top of a mesh. i'm 99.99% positive 3dcoat doesn't normally work this way. 

you should be able to draw and shift click off your mesh and it would add points to cut. this doesn't seem to be working correctly. i'm having to do a lot of work arounds atm. 

Does anyone have problems with Text Spline on Painting Room? Can't paint on the model, only its UV.

I guess I'm facing a new problem. Sync layers with external editor does not work.
The layers shows up on Photoshop. Every new layer is displayed on 3D-Coat. However, all the other layers (created previously on 3D-Coat) and the meshes disappeared.

When using the Projection function, everything Works fine.

On 2/24/2017 at 5:39 AM, dimitribastos said:

Does anyone have problems with Text Spline on Painting Room? Can't paint on the model, only its UV.

Working on my end. Version---Windows 4.7.24 

Tested the default cube and a model baked from the retopo room.

On 2/27/2017 at 7:46 AM, dimitribastos said:

I guess I'm facing a new problem. Sync layers with external editor does not work.
The layers shows up on Photoshop. Every new layer is displayed on 3D-Coat. However, all the other layers (created previously on 3D-Coat) and the meshes disappeared.

When using the Projection function, everything Works fine.

Funny I have never used the sync command but just the edit all layers command. Here is what I found using Sync layers command and my understanding of this command after using the tool. You only sync one layer and you get a wireframe layer as well. This what I get in Photoshop after invoking the command.

The tool tip reads that the selected layer is synced and no others. The wording would be better read sync layer and not layers as it is reads now under the EDIT menu.  The use of this command appears to be for working on that specific layer and exporting it externally from Photoshop and not saving it internally. If you save the file internally in Photoshop, it destroys your work in 3DC as you stated. Now my understanding is only my educated guess and anyone can correct me on this. If this is not the use of the command and it is only meant to update that one selected layer in 3DC, then it would appear to be a bug.

3DC version-----Windows 4.7.24

Edited by digman

Hello! In my 3d coat 4.7.10 In extrude tool with lasso vertex normal work like average normal. I talk about Extrude Direction. Top extrude is overage and at down is extrude with vertex normals-we take same result(  fae4d9891b.png19baacb9c0.png

3 minutes ago, Ausdemenon said:

Hello! In my 3d coat 4.7.10 In extrude tool with lasso vertex normal work like average normal. I talk about Extrude Direction. Top extrude is overage and at down is extrude with vertex normals-we take same result(  fae4d9891b.png19baacb9c0.png

b11773887f.png In 4.5.16 it's looks write!

@ Ausdemenon... This question would be best ask in another thread as this is the beta thread, currently at 4.7.24. You are using 4.7.10, This might be the official one on the 3DC site but do not know or an earlier beta. Update to the newest beta and see If that fixes the problem. If it does not come back here and report it. 

I do not have any problems as you described in the latest beta. 

extrude.JPG

Edited by digman

4.7.25 [beta]

- Retopo->Bake->Baking scan settings gon very important addition. You may paint baking depth with brush.

bakingscan.png

- Autopo problem fixed - if no mesh generated, hidden retopo mesh will not be corrupted.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

4.7.25 [beta]

- Retopo->Bake->Baking scan settings gon very important addition. You may paint baking depth with brush.

bakingscan.png

- Autopo problem fixed - if no mesh generated, hidden retopo mesh will not be corrupted.

Thanks, Andrew. Any chance we can get a Parameter Slider for the INNER and OUTER cage, so the user can dial it in more intuitively and quickly? Manual numeric inputs are a slow way to go.

• Like 2

Beta 4.7.25

A really big thanks Andrew. double thumbs up here!

Painting works on the cage works as expected, Either pushing outward or inward locally. The cage information is saved with the 3DC file as you stated.

Already found it to be a pure pleasure to work on the cage now. Our cages will be better now with this new method as it is artist friendly and easy to use, plus we do not lose our cage information.

So far no bugs encountered but will let you know if I come across one.

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

...Also, I noticed two problem areas of the new Bake Scan Settings toolset. There is no capacity for Symmetry, still. This means TWICE the amount of work...unnecessarily, on perfectly symmetrical meshes. Secondly, the RELAX feature doesn't work. It just snaps the selected area to the Voxel object. There is no smoothing whatsoever.

With these 2 things addressed and with parameter sliders for the inner and outer baking cages, this could be a massive upgrade to the baking quality and workflow. Still need the ability to SAVE and LOAD bake scan settings. If one set of adjustments is close > try again with different settings and that attempt is even worse, you want to go back to the settings that was the closest to the desired result.

• Like 3

Thank You very much Andrew.
A wonderful decision and I tested it and it works great.
As you know us artists; you give us a finger and we ask for the whole hand (german saying).
For a future release might it be possible to have those Push/Pull tools also in Retopo room?
Also it would be great to save/export the cage and also load/import it.
I love 3D-Coat and if you would release the next update right now I would immediately buy it 5 minutes later because of the good and constant updates being done.

Thanks

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, puntoit said:

Thank You very much Andrew.
A wonderful decision and I tested it and it works great.
As you know us artists; you give us a finger and we ask for the whole hand (german saying).
For a future release might it be possible to have those Push/Pull tools also in Retopo room?
Also it would be great to save/export the cage and also load/import it.
I love 3D-Coat and if you would release the next update right now I would immediately buy it 5 minutes later because of the good and constant updates being done.

Thanks

I don't think it's "asking for the whole hand" to mention areas of a tool that still need some attention/polish. That is the whole purpose of Open Beta...to let the community get a crack at new tools and offer their input, whether it's spotting bugs or suggestions for refinement of the features.

Great ,great , great addition , will help soooooo much.

I agree with what previous advance users just wrote , plus i had a crash on GL when i used the last option (icon 4).

WHEN and IF possible of course.

P.S

Noticed also a speed up on autoretopo and better results with the exact same values and test model i use. 

Any work there as well?? Or its it just me ?

in order to test the new tool I had to model and autopo something and also I had the impression that it does a better job than before. especially on low poly counts (3000 for a simple character).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I don't think it's "asking for the whole hand" to mention areas of a tool that still need some attention/polish. That is the whole purpose of Open Beta...to let the community get a crack at new tools and offer their input, whether it's spotting bugs or suggestions for refinement of the features.

just in case this might have been received wrong.
It is not a negative saying.
It might probably be translated like " Now you´ve opened up a can of worms".
(as a non-native english speaker I hope I got that one right ;) )

21 minutes ago, puntoit said:

just in case this might have been received wrong.
It is not a negative saying.
It might probably be translated like " Now you´ve opened up a can of worms".
(as a non-native english speaker I hope I got that one right ;) )

Understood, but it seems like it would be most beneficial to offer input on a new feature before Andrew moves on to something else. In fact, I think every major new feature should undergo a "Refinement" stage before Andrew moves onto the next. That way no new features are viewed as half done or rushed.