3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

I am having this from 28 or 29 i thought it was my drivers!!!

The clipping is less but still noticeable at the bottom. Some alphas will revel it more than others. The higher your resolution the less noticeable but still there. 

A little more tweeking at the bottom. The top is much much better, i can at times see just a very tiny clip but I do not know if that can be worked more. That might be as close as you can get. 

Thanks for working on this...

almost.PNG

Edited by digman

This is weird...after installing 4.7.31 and choosing to run the DX version, the app shows 4.7.30 in the initial splash screen and at the top of the UI. But, if you choose the OpenGL version, it is 4.7.31.

Also, where is this square alpha support? I was in the process of recording a tutorial showing this new support, and 3D Coat made me look stupid. Glad it wasn't live at Siggraph or some public demonstration.

149718346424.jpg

I'm stumped. Tried to delete all the config files from the MyDocs/3dcoat 4.7 folder > re-install 4.7.30 and 4.7.31 and none of them work. Start with a cube or human character from splash screen > voxel sculpting = ZIP. ZERO. NO-GO. NADA. NIL. NOTHING. Everything outside the  brush circle gets clipped.

I had to delete my old square alpha and reimport it. It should automatically be applied by detecting and cropped to the edge of it.  That is what worked for me.

Edited by Thomas Cheng
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Thomas Cheng said:

I had to delete my old square alpha and reimport it. It should automatically be applied by detecting and cropped to the edge of it.  At that is what worked for me.

14 hours ago, digman said:

The clipping is less but still noticeable at the bottom. Some alphas will revel it more than others. The higher your resolution the less noticeable but still there. 

A little more tweeking at the bottom. The top is much much better, i can at times see just a very tiny clip but I do not know if that can be worked more. That might be as close as you can get. 

Thanks for working on this...

Ah yes! good find Thomas... My post is now incorrect. Once I imported the square alphas again, no more clipping. The alpha image no longer goes to the corners of the brush radius preventing the clipping...

Capture456.JPG

Edited by digman
added picture
  • Like 1

//edit

Solved in version 4.7.32

-----------------------------------------

Square Alphas test using simple cheker UV square image as Alpha.

- The edges are not straight but rounded.

- Using Strokes > Stamp Mode, cant drag outside the model to paint a bigger area. The mesh geometry is the limit for the LMB drag operation.

Square alpha.jpg

2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Square Alphas test using simple cheker UV square image as Alpha.

- The edges are not straight but rounded.

- Using Strokes > Stamp Mode, cant drag outside the model to paint a bigger area. The mesh geometry is the limit for the LMB drag operation.

I tested and confirm this... I was mistaken in my first my first responding to Carlosan post.The regular stamp tool does not get curved but the drag stamp tool mode does...

Edited by digman
added picture

Ah, square alphas, nice...

Used the regular stamp with a alpha. Brush options set at fade on edge. Line up the model on the grid with snapping, Changed the views with the keypad. 

Not shown for quality, yes the motar is reversed plus no ending of the block pattern at the corners just do to the type of alpha. :D

Cool to have square alpha support now.

square.JPG

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

I do notice that the OpenGL version doesn't seem to work with certain alpha brushes (can't use it unless I make the brush small and it still seems random when it wants to work or not), while the DX version works fine with it. Not sure if it is a driver issue or a bug in 3D Coat. Anyone else notices this?

Edited by Thomas Cheng

On 6/10/2017 at 2:45 PM, Mr.Panka said:

4.7.30 [beta] on Mac

Shaders (except in "default" and "skins" folders) are not working anymore. When I try to use them, it display the default shader.

3Dc can't find Renderman.

You are right about shaders. Will look into them.
Regarding "Render Man": you should define environment variable "RMANTREE" with location of "RenderMan Server". For example, to define environment variable with path to "RenderMan Server" under macOS Sierra do the following:
1. Run  Launchpad > Script Editor > New Document  and enter commands
do shell script "launchctl setenv RMANTREE /Applications/Pixar/RenderManProServer-21.4/"
2. File > Save... > Save As: Environment Variables (name it as you wish) > Where: HOME > File Format: Application
3. System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items > + > add file HOME/Environment Variables
4. Restart your Mac.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2017 at 8:21 AM, Thomas Cheng said:

I had to delete my old square alpha and reimport it. It should automatically be applied by detecting and cropped to the edge of it.  That is what worked for me.

Just tested this, and it seems it works. But, it's still a work around, rather than a feature that works the way one would expect.

• Like 1

I've downloaded the latest .31 Are the square alphas under the Stencils Tab or Alphas Tab? I have no folder for Squares under the Alphas tab.

Update: Ok just saw the tutorial :) I actually thought I would be able to create square alphas using the curves in the same way we can create circular ones.

Edited by insignet

36 minutes ago, insignet said:

I've downloaded the latest .31 Are the square alphas under the Stencils Tab or Alphas Tab? I have no folder for Squares under the Alphas tab.

It's for Brush alphas, only. Stencils don't get clipped outside an arbitrary radial boundary (Brush radius).

• Like 1

Any new square alphas that are created externally do not need any reworking in Photoshop only the currently installed ones or loading ones that are part of a 3DC extension, created before square alpha support. Just adding that for anyone's FYI.

What I like is now you can make a square alpha that fills the entire image you are creating and it will not get clipped. You no longer have to scale your alpha stencil leaving some empty border around it when creating it. 

Edited by digman

Just a heads up. The latest version .31   is actualy v.4.7.30 after installation. Not sure if that is a mistake.

4.7.32 [beta]

- square alphas distortions fixed. In some cases alphas require reimporting. Square alphas derived from 3D models supported as well.

- fixed different little problems like rotate along motion and stamp.

• Like 4

Is there perhaps a memory leak with these latest beta versions?  My machine seems to hang indefinitely and also I've experienced a few blue screens.  Just thought I'd let you know this is happening.  I'll of course investigate further but it only seems to happen when I run 3DCoat.

Your graphic drivers are up to date ?

1 - Attach to the current layer

2 - Detach Material

3 - The layer keep filled with the last material attached

//edit

It is not a bug. It is expected. Detouching just allows you to modify layer with other material if you don't want the layer to be filled with just one material. Andrew

------------------------------

Same with layer0, will be good to prevent Layer0 to be filled or attached by materials.

- Select Layer0

Attach any smart material - the layer is visually filled

Now detach the smart material - the layer keep filled by the smart material.

I think Layer 0 needs another name like "Closed Layer".

Edited by Tony Nemo
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, Mr.Panka said:

Shaders (except in "default" and "skins" folders) are not working anymore.

Please download the latest build 4.7.31 for macOS. All shaders are now working.

Hi guys ! 

I got an issue with fill tool, when I fill "by layer" I got strange dithering all over the model, not sure if this is an isolated bug that I only have.

Steps to reproduce :

-Open the default robot given by 3dcoat
-Choose FIll tool
-Enable Gradient mode
-Pick one point, then move both where you want
-hit layer in order to fill the entire layer ( I did it into "Layer 9" )

> I got no issue if I fill the layer piece by piece, but it's a real pain =/ 

By the way, will it be possible to kill all "warning" windows about "are you sure you want to do this action ?" by adding some "expert mode" enable hitbox or something alike ?

( And, well, thanks for bringing back those gradient points, I missed them a lot ! )

Another "bug" I found out was about the new curvature baking system, it seems like the long range curvature is in fact a simple ambient occlusion when pushed to its limits, for example take that same robot and bake a curvature with settings of the second screenshot, and look at the texture editor to understand the issue ; the curvature seems to bake contacts zones as a regular occlusion would do, but also gives a cool smoothing over all hard edges which gives an awesome conrtol when doing smartmaterials. THe fact is that it's possible to make cool things with this long range curvature, but I think that another setting ( in addition to the long range & regular curvature settings ) with only smoother cavity/convexity baking could be useful as well =)

Thanks for the huge amount of excellent work & support guys ! Have a nice week-end =)

Capture-d'écran-2017-06-17-18.55.jpg

Capture-d'écran-2017-06-17-19.07.jpg

Capture-d'écran-2017-06-17-19.10.jpg

Try separate paint objects = ON