3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

2 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

I didn't do voxels first because it's not a solid mesh, the whole bottom is ope and a bit messy.

Did you give it some thickness on import so that open-sided objects can be voxelized properly?

• Like 1

AbnRanger has it correct. If my scanned model is not closed. I import with thickness, using only the thickness for inner. Once the model is voxeized, I close all holes and run fill voids to fill the interior of the voxel object. I will use the cut off tool to silce off parts of the model to make sure all has been closed and no cavities are left. I just undo after each section cut , then rinse of repeat. Cavities in the voxel object can cause Autopo to fail.

I stick with voxel mode when repairing scanned meshes, once fixed of course you can switch to surface mode if needed.

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

Thanks guys I didn't mean to turn this into a support post, just wanted to report the bug with the little holes.

6 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

Thanks guys I didn't mean to turn this into a support post, just wanted to report the bug with the little holes.

I don't know that it is a bug. Probably just a bad mesh, with inverted normals. I import models all the time and don't get that problem. That tells me your issue is with your mesh, somehow. I know in 3ds Max, you can add an EDIT NORMALS modifier > RESET the normals and all is right in the world. :D Perhaps your primary 3D app has something similar?

4.7.37 [beta]

- Possibility to assign fixed bump to smart material, independent from pen radius and depth.

- Fixed different problems in retopo primitives. 

- Fixed breaking UV-s in Intrude/Shell (retopo modeling tools)

- Fixed a lot of problems relater to material attaching, including crashes, undo, memory leaks, correct resizing of smart material.

- If there are too many folders in materials/stencils etc, they will be represented as droplist.

- Re-attaching material if you select other material over layer with attachment. 

- Correct displacement visualisation in ppp approach.

- Correct displacement import, scaling coefficient correctly used.

- Warning about missing cache to avoid loosing cached volumes.

• Like 7

One problem I'm facing with 4.7.36 is that the Smart Material Interface, once attached to a layer, simply breaks When 3D-Coat auto-saves. This is very specific indeed. I need to close the SM Editor and then reopen in order to fix it. Can anyone confirm? 

Smart Material Preview disappears, confirmed.

- Stretched textures using From Camera projections, anyone ?

FromCamera_2.jpg

- Correct displacement visualisation in ppp approach = WoW ! :good2:

54 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

- Stretched textures using From Camera projections, anyone ?

I don't have this one. :huh:

Many many MANY thanks for this update , i was struggling with my latest work with at least half of those issues , AWESOME SUPPORT and imagine that i 

havent report not even one of them for fixing.

We still have this NASTY problem with 3D Coat wigging out when there are a lot of brushes or materials in a drop list menu. This has been going on for a few years, now and I've reported more times than I can count. Can we PLEASE, PLEASE do something about this?

• Like 2

Hmmm , not getting this at all Don , plus it shows up differently on my side.

Like that  

brush_list.jpg

material_list.jpg

shader_list.jpg

2 hours ago, RabenWulf said:

I hope the current folder/drop list is just a temporary measure, as it really does need to be revamped.

It's been an issue for a long time. It only happens if the number of folders extends to the bottom of the UI. 3D Coat freaks out because it has no instructions as to what to do when it runs out of real estate. Subfolder access could help, but even without that, there shouldn't be such craziness.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RabenWulf said:

I hope the current folder/drop list is just a temporary measure, as it really does need to be revamped.

Do you have a proposal to improve it ?

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Do you have a proposal to improve it ?

I had some other bugs to report, so I deleted the config files and the Drop List issue now seems solved. The one that probably was the culprit is the OptionsWindows.xml, but I deleted almost all the config files just to be sure.

4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

0000454: Detach windows from 3DC main window

0001912: Windows dock finetunning: lock, collapse, place, floating

Any +1 is welcome :)

-------------

* I'm for an interface like maya, docking panels could be great.

Unreal Engine 4 also has a mighty UI mechanics.

• Like 1

For the smart material lists in the paint room the same issue occurs in the UV Room. It is basically a global issue for any room in 3d coat where your lists extends to the bottom of the screen. If you have many UV sets and want to rename one you are blocked if the list is too long. It will cut off at the bottom of the screen and you have no way to rename UV's. Only 'fix' is to delete your models which is not a good solution really. It is the same exact issue I had in the paint room that I posted earlier:

If the list can simply be contained within the program's window space and we can scroll up and down the list that would resolve the issue I think. I do hope this bug can be fixed in a future build sooner rather than later. I feel it makes the current builds an unstable version since it blocks the user from editing certain files/names. In other words the user is limited to a certain amount of objects, smart materials, UV lists they can have until the program cannot see them in the drop down lists.

On a side note: I can't post in the feature requests section but have a lot of ideas/quality of life ideas to make certain aspects of 3D Coat more user friendly. Is there a new place we can post our suggestions/ideas?

Edited by Mystical

Mystical, could you try again please ? fixed.

9 hours ago, Mystical said:

For the smart material lists in the paint room the same issue occurs in the UV Room. It is basically a global issue for any room in 3d coat where your lists extends to the bottom of the screen. If you have many UV sets and want to rename one you are blocked if the list is too long. It will cut off at the bottom of the screen and you have no way to rename UV's. Only 'fix' is to delete your models which is not a good solution really. It is the same exact issue I had in the paint room that I posted earlier:

If the list can simply be contained within the program's window space and we can scroll up and down the list that would resolve the issue I think. I do hope this bug can be fixed in a future build sooner rather than later. I feel it makes the current builds an unstable version since it blocks the user from editing certain files/names. In other words the user is limited to a certain amount of objects, smart materials, UV lists they can have until the program cannot see them in the drop down lists.

On a side note: I can't post in the feature requests section but have a lot of ideas/quality of life ideas to make certain aspects of 3D Coat more user friendly. Is there a new place we can post our suggestions/ideas?

If you read my last post, above, deleting my Config files (MyDocs/3D Coat 4.7...select all the .xml config files except maybe the Presets and hotkeys, and leave the license.dat file alone) seemed to allow the fix in 4.7.36/37 to work.

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Mystical, could you try again please ? fixed.

Thanks, looks like I have an option to post a new thread now. I'll definitely leave my ideas in the coming days.

13 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

If you read my last post, above, deleting my Config files (MyDocs/3D Coat 4.7...select all the .xml config files except maybe the Presets and hotkeys, and leave the license.dat file alone) seemed to allow the fix in 4.7.36/37 to work.

I'll give it a try next time I have some free time in 3D Coat for sure. Thanks.

• Like 1

@Andrew Shpagin, please allow us to enter any number of rows and columns with an integer slider in a Lattice deformer of the Primitive tool, instead of a drop-down list with just a couple of hardcoded presets. Also, please add a third slider for primitives like the cylinder and the tube (in the latter we can only tweak the number of spans on Y for some reason).

• Like 2

I think something with the primitives' gizmo should also be done. For example, on the following screenshot I'm creating a capsule, and I cannot access most of the manipulator's controls from the orthographic view, because they are all clumped up into singularity. I can move the primitive on two axes all right, but scaling or tweaking its radii is nigh on impossible without rotating the viewport, and zooming in doesn't make things significantly better.

I'm not sure if I'm not mixing 3D Coat and Maya together, but I think there was an option somewhere to increase the manipulator size. Can anyone direct me to it please?

PS. I just noticed that capsule's Cap parameters are not sliders, but input fields instead. It makes tweaking the primitive harder in circumstances mentioned above.

Treat this post as a productivity hint.

screenshot_17-08-29_00_07_22.jpg.c16057b94f3aac61f7da4d9f01e44efc.jpg

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ajz3d said:

I think something with the primitives' gizmo should also be done. For example, on the following screenshot I'm creating a capsule, and I cannot access most of the manipulator's controls from the orthographic view, because they are all clumped up into singularity. I can move the primitive on two axes all right, but scaling or tweaking its radii is nigh on impossible without rotating the viewport, and zooming in doesn't make things significantly better.

I'm not sure if I'm not mixing 3D Coat and Maya together, but I think there was an option somewhere to increase the manipulator size. Can anyone direct me to it please?

PS. I just noticed that capsule's Cap parameters are not sliders, but input fields instead. It makes tweaking the primitive harder in circumstances mentioned above.

Treat this post as productivity tweak.

screenshot_17-08-29_00_07_22.jpg.c16057b94f3aac61f7da4d9f01e44efc.jpg

Thumbs up on that. The Gizmo is a very very important tool, but to use it properly you should be able to have way more control then we have now. Anyone hear of paint 3D? They nailed it. Getting that much control with our Gizmo would be a big blessing.

One thing I would really like to see. Is being able to move any part of my tools that are now stuck inside the App. To be able to detach and be stuck on another Monitor. I am aware that this is a more changeling function, but if you have tons of assets, tools, primitives and the list goes on.. You are literally stuck With 1 monitor to do any kind of work.  Especially in complicated scenes. This starts to just become a big mess. This is very logical and should have happened years ago..

Edited by Speike-Styles
  • Like 1