3DCoat Forums

Steampunk Rooster

HorribleHog

Mechs and walkers are my favourite so as my first post, and my entry I'd like to submit a perfect mount for the considerate steampunk gentlemen/ladies!

Here's the first WIP screenshot, it may not look like much yet but you may be surprised if I get it done in time!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18.6.2016 at 5:35 PM, Dobby said:

looks good and brings a funny vibe!

i'd like to see it better - different lighting, maybe brighter materials?

conceptually, what is the use of this mechrooster? is there a seat for a person or is it remote controlled/autonomous?

Just a *very* quick WIP shot that one, conceptually it is a vehicle for passing through difficult terrain, it's quite big in size as the balcony you barely see in that particular picture is in fact human sized! Here's a slightly better shot of the side.

Rooster_03_2.png

Edited by HorribleHog
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The "Steam-powered Rooster" is a perfect choice for when you need to steer off the paved path into challenging terrain! Its massive steam-engine delivers incredible torque through six pressurized cylinders driving all this power to feed the complex gearbox in its rear, which operates the Rooster's balance and bipedal motion. The gearbox provides inertia to five winches on each side, which act as tendons to bend each limb down to the ankles. The Rooster consumes only coal and water as fuel for its stride, which an automated system provides from its two respective repositories for each material, situated behind the cockpit. The concerning pilot doesn't even need to exit the cabin for refueling, with the pull of a lever the gearbox will spill a fraction of its stupendous power to open the hatch on top of the fuel supply, making the refueling process more convenient for everyone involved! The two counter-weights below the cockpit work with the gyro embedded in the gearbox to keep your Rooster balanced on poor footing! Speaking of footing, only a yearly check-up is required for your Rooster's impeccable spring-action claws! Don't wait until the rooster craws! Buy your Steam-Rooster today! -- A sales pitch

Finally after some setbacks my Rooster is ready!

I had a bit of trouble due to my inexperience, I would've liked to have made the final render with backdrops with a refueling scene perhaps but I've too much still to learn in that
regard... My current PC is due for a refit, as it could barely calculate my later additions to my paultry project, though I must exclaim the smart materials really helped during the texturing, they're quite wonderfully easy to use and they made the work a breeze after I managed to work in the imported objects.

The final renders completed in 3D Coat, with slight post processing for the lantern and backdrop.

I would like to thank our hosts and everyone's lifting spirits, it's been a wonderful opportunity to learn more about 3D Coat and I have a lot of pointers to improve my workflow in modeling.

SPRooster.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Thank you for the heads-up, however at this point it is very difficult for me to add any more detail into the work, as opening alone it fills my measly RAM. Which caused much sadness and drawbacks whilst editing islands during the previous month. :(

9 hours ago, Tony Nemo said:

A formidable contender. The sales pitch makes some worthwhile contributions as well.

4 hours ago, BubbaDaCaveman said:

This is a very nice model. Good job on it and good luck mate. 

Thank you so much! Warms my heart. :blush: