3DCoat Forums

First Official 3D Modelling Contest

Daniel

• Advanced Member

I presume huge, mechanical Steampunk animatronic robotic animal vehicles count don't they?

I would hope so, I got a little caught up on "what defines a vehicle?" but so long as it fits within the "anything that can transport people or goods" then I would imagine it's all fine and dandy.

• Advanced Member

Is jumping back and forth between 3D Coat and Photoshop allowed? Ctrl+P and stuff.

Pretty valid question, it states that texturing must be done in 3d coat, but I think we can all agree that the need to jump into photoshop to do something often arises. Technically the photoshop integration is part of 3dc (like the projection stuff), so I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.

Pretty valid question, it states that texturing must be done in 3d coat, but I think we can all agree that the need to jump into photoshop to do something often arises. Technically the photoshop integration is part of 3dc (like the projection stuff), so I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.

Of course, you may use Photoshop, but use it reasonably )) keeping in mind that texturing must be done in 3D-Coat.

• Advanced Member

I have one question =) Can we post w.i.p on other sites, portfolios, social pages and etc or only on this forum? 

• Advanced Member

I should really stop speaking on behalf of the authors... but, I would imagine that so long as you're also keeping your thread on this forum up to date you may do as you please in regards to posting it elsewhere, I don't think 3d coat would say no to having more people know about their software and the competition itself.

What are the technical requirements of the final project?  Is the judging to be done solely on the rendered image, with proof of work/development tracked through the forum?  Or are there specific requirements around polygon count, UV layout etc.?   I'm just trying to figure out if i can stick with Hi-poly techniques throughout the process, as I've tended to use 3d-coat this way in the past for purely illustrative purposes.  I understand low-poly work for real-time animation etc.  But won't use it if it's not part of the requirement....

Also, do we ask for feedback and develop ideas in our forum thread?  Or is that just for proof of work?

Edited by Daniko
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

excuse me, this is my personal opinion.

In my forecast,  Many sculptors were thinking that  the theme is creature, monster, animal, or like that. weren't you?

because 3D-coat is a sculpt software.

(I was thinking the theme is abstract. for example, "your life" or "the future" like that.)

I think that steam punk vehicle is a territory of Polygon software.

on this theme,  I think  creature sculptors can not demonstrate their ability to sculpt.

if next contest is held  in the future,

for example,  it prepare 2,3 category,  creature award, mechanics award, general award, or abstract theme.

then, many people could participate the contest.  I think so.

thank you for your reading.

this is  Japanese language original text.

ぶっちゃけ、お題はクリーチャーとかモンスターとかそういうのだと思ってた人も多いんじゃないかと思います。

なんでかって、3d-coatはスカルプトモデラだから。 動物とかの有機物作ってる人のほうが多いんじゃないかと思います。

(ちなみに俺は、「人生の思い出」だとか「未来の出来事」とかそういう、もっと抽象的なものかなぁと思ってました)

スチームパンクの乗り物ってほとんどポリゴンモデラの領分じゃんと思った人も多いのではないかと。

このお題だと、いつもモンスターやクリーチャーを作ってる人たちは実力が発揮できないのではと思います。

たとえば、生物部門・乗り物部門・総合部門みたいに、部門を分けておくとか、

あるいはお題をもっと抽象的な内容にするなどがあれば、

より多くの人がこのコンテストに参加しやすかったのではないでしょうか。

Edited by jene

What are the technical requirements of the final project?  Is the judging to be done solely on the rendered image, with proof of work/development tracked through the forum?  Or are there specific requirements around polygon count, UV layout etc.?  

Also, do we ask for feedback and develop ideas in our forum thread?  Or is that just for proof of work?

I have the same questions about polycount and UV ... 

I would like to replicate the train from the game Syberia but I don't know if it's a steampunk style or not ? What is exactly steampunk ? And last but not least question : I'd like to try to hand-paint the textures is it allowed or do you want us to use PBR materials only ?

The attached file is the train I would like to replicate.

post-40440-0-11379900-1463128133_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

What are the technical requirements of the final project? 

None. There are the rules, and then anything that isn't mentioned is pretty fair game. Since it doesn't mention poly limits or texture res, you can assume that you are not limited here. The goal is to create a pretty image.

Do we ask for feedback and develop ideas in our forum thread?  Or is that just for proof of work?

Both, and many other reasons. It's good to see what other people are up to, how they are progressing, and because it's a forum, you can get help or people can offer suggestions. Ideas can change. Or you can just ignore everything people are saying and just continue to post your updates. The only thing you really need to know is that a forum thread is a requirement.

What is exactly steampunk ? And last but not least question : I'd like to try to hand-paint the textures is it allowed or do you want us to use PBR materials only ?

Wikipedia and google image searches will be your best friend here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

"Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery."

As for hand painted textures Vs PBR, as I was saying to Daniko, if the rules don't mention a requirement, then you are not limited by it. So you can do whatever style of texturing you prefer.

I should really stop speaking on behalf of the authors... but, I would imagine that so long as you're also keeping your thread on this forum up to date you may do as you please in regards to posting it elsewhere, I don't think 3d coat would say no to having more people know about their software and the competition itself.

EXACTLY :)

Posting everywhere is very welcomed!

Trial Issues:

I only downloaded the trial few days ago but its saying the trial has expired and I can't use it.Was the trial not for 30 days? How can I get it functional again?

Hi! Have you downloaded the trial version for the first time? If you did so before (i.e. two years ago) from the same PC, them your trial period has expired indeed.

I'll PM you a bit later :)

I have a similar inquiry Daniel. I'd have already PM'd you about it but I don't see how (maybe my account is too new, Idk). Do you mind sending me one as well?

• Carlosan pinned and pinned this topic