3DCoat Forums

First Official 3D Modelling Contest

Daniel

• Advanced Member

ooo im idiot!!!!

I thought the deadline is JULY! and now I see that there is still one month to go :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I thought that only a few days left.

Edited by allexr

• Advanced Member
On 28/04/2016 at 10:04 AM, Daniel said:

Image longest size should not be less than 1920px.

I think this is a little hard to understand.

So minimum image size should be 1920px X 1920px? Are we talking on widescreen mode, so should be 1920 x 1080px? If the longest size should not be less than 1920px, so can I create a 500 x 1920px image? 

Thanks! 

looks good and brings a funny vibe!

i'd like to see it better - different lighting, maybe brighter materials?

conceptually, what is the use of this mechrooster? is there a seat for a person or is it remote controlled/autonomous?

On 4/28/2016 at 6:04 AM, Daniel said:
Pilgway Studio is Happy to Announce the First Official 3D Modelling Contest!

Please, find the terms and contest rules below. 

We encourage you to discuss your thoughts and contest-related matters in this thread. 

THEME: Steampunk Vehicle

TERMS: May 10- July 10, 2016

PRIZE POOL:

1st place:

• $1000
  • 3D-Coat Professional
  • 12 Months of Sketchfab PRO
  • Sketchfab T-shirt

2nd place:

• $500
  • 3D-Coat Professional
  • 6 Months of Sketchfab PRO
  • Sketchfab T-shirt

3rd place:

• 3D-Coat Professional
  • 3 Months of Sketchfab PRO

RULES:

1. Starting your own topic in this subforum.

2. Post your final image as well as screenshots of the work-in-progress assets with your comments in the topic created.

3. The model should be sculpted and textured in 3D-Coat.

4. Poly-modeled in other 3D modeling software is allowed.

The model should not be publicized earlier! The exceptions are: secondary objects used for the final scene.

5. You may use any number of pre-modeled parts for "kit-bashing".

6. Rendering and post effects may be done in 3D-Coat or other applications of your choice.

7. You may use any additional software for things that can't be done in 3D-Coat, i.e. fog, clouds, cloth simulation, grass/trees arrays, hair, etc.

Final IMAGE Requirements:

1. Model should be rendered with a background (interior, exterior or a studio environment).

2. Image longest size should not be less than 1920px.

IMPORTANT: If you need extended TRIAL, please, write me or Carlosan a request in Personal Message!

Feel free to share the message about the challenge in social networks! You may also submit your final creations on Sketchfab with a specific tag "3dcoatchallenge2016".

On behalf of the Pilgway team, wishing you good luck in the contest and may creativity abide with you!

i entered the contest stating i was new and posted info for new people trying to enter the contest. my post past the allowed data so i had to wait to post my progress and for that i was moved to newbe page. but i thought this was to get new people interested in your software. so if i was moved to a different page am i out or will i be in both pages

i updated my progress 

• Reputable Contributor

That is looking really nice, but how much of it is modeled in 3D Coat? The rules do call for SCULPTING to be done in 3D Coat and ALLOWS some modeling (what you feel you cannot do in 3D Coat) in other 3D apps, but since this competition is specifically intended to demonstrate what 3D Coat is capable of in the hands of talented artists, it sort of defeats the whole purpose if everything is modeled outside of 3D Coat and you just use if for texture painting/smart materials. That doesn't really demonstrate much about 3D Coat at all. It's an app-specific contest....like others, such as Vue contests. If you modeled everything outside of 3D Coat, you won't be judged on the modeling portion...only on judged on the part you did in the app. So, you are limiting your entry's appeal to the judges.

This is the case with ALL Application-Specific contests. Not just this one. This is totally different than a general competition on CG Society and such. They don't care what you use. However, no software company doling out prizes, is going to reward someone for content they largely did in another app. If VRay held a competition, even if they allowed you to use some materials created outside of VRay, do you think they would announce a winner who who did half of the rendering in Keyshot or Octane? Of course not.

What that means is, if your model is one of the finalists (modeled outside of 3D Coat?), and other artists did practically everything in 3D Coat, they will win...because their work embodies what the competition is all about. Using the app to create your best work. I don't mean to be a stick in the mud. On the contrary, I really like this entry/concept, and I'd like to see you have the best possible chance at winning. But the more you do in the app, the better your chances are, if it happens to be one of the finalists.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Thats not correct ABNRanger.

Sure Rule 3 says.

But Rule 4 says this too.

Ok, this could be a little bit confusing or mussunderstanding.

But another Member ask for a little bit clarification.

Can I use another software for Mdeol/Sculpt and then Use 3D-Coat for Retopology, Uvw, Texture Painting and Final Render?

Daniel´s answer

You can make polygonal modeling in other 3D software, but if you want to do sculpting, you must do it in 3D-Coat.

Next Member ask

If I get correct, I can poly-model my vehicle for example in Maya, but must finish it sculpting in 3D-Coat + texturing too? There is no way to model/sculpt in other apps, but make textures in 3D-Coat for this competition, right?

Daniel´s answer

Yes, you can poly-model in Maya. You may not sculpt if you don't need to. Texturing must be done in 3D-Coat. If you need to sculpt, then sculpting also must be done in 3D-Coat.

For me and my understanding it means,

If i want to sculp, i have to do it in 3d coat. When i wont sculp, i could use any 3d package i want.

Looks to me, HorribleHog is a 100% Competitor no matter if he/she sculpted nothing in 3d Coat.

And if he/she is one of the finalists, he/she should not be judged less then the others, because of not sculpting.

Edited by Malo
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Malo said:

Thats not correct ABNRanger.

Sure Rule 3 says.

But Rule 4 says this too.

Ok, this could be a little bit confusing or mussunderstanding.

But another Member ask for a little bit clarification.

Daniel´s answer

Next Member ask

Daniel´s answer

For me and my understanding it means,

If i want to sculp, i have to do it in 3d coat. When i wont sculp, i could use any 3d package i want.

Looks to me, HorribleHog is a 100% Competitor no matter if he/she sculpted nothing in 3d Coat.

And if he/she is one of the finalists, he/she should not be judged less then the others, because of not sculpting.

Oh, but It is correct. The rule stating that modeling outside of 3D Coat is ALLOWED (because some objects/shapes may be hard to do in 3D Coat) is not a license to push that allowance to it's fullest degree. Remember, this is an APPLICATION SPECIFIC contest...not a general modeling/texturing contest you might see on CG Society, PolyCount, etc. This is a software vender holding a contest with prizes, in order to demonstrate what 3D Coat is capable of, in the hands of a talented artist. Everyone already knows it's a good app for texturing and Retopo. But it is also very capable as a modeler and sculpting app.

Entries that attempt to push the boundaries of this "allowance" may find themselves losing when they might otherwise win....because they did all the heavy lifting outside of 3D Coat. Think about the artists who are contemplating 3D Coat, now or in the near future. They see a contest winner where 3D Coat was only used to texture paint...what does that communicate to them? That in a production pipeline, that's about all 3DC is good at. You look at any app-specific contest....Vue usually has them about this time every year....and they always allow some outside content to be added, but the contest is about what the artist can do in Vue....not what you can do, using Vue somewhere in the pipeline.

You are focusing on the rule and trying to bend it to fit your preference, when the INTENT OF THE CONTEST is to showcase 3D Coat's tools on a full project. The idea in offering the allowance, is the exception (in the case you cannot model something properly in 3D Coat)...not the goal.

If it comes down to two equally good finalists, I can tell you right now, Pilgway will side with the one that used 3D Coat the most, as it does the most to showcase 3D Coat from start to finish...not just in part. So, you can focus on what you THINK the rule means, but in the end, the person who comes up with the best entry AND does the most in the app, will prevail.

• Like 2

• Carlosan pinned and pinned this topic
  • Contributor

Hi Ranger.

Yes you are absolutly right, about the the last part.

But this is a personal taste of what the Pilgway Team chooce the winner. Absolutly ok and fine.

And if that means, maybe not the best entry win, but the entry where most of the work is done in 3d coat, it is fine, too.

Anyway.

Nobody is trying to fit the rules to his needs.

I only repeat what Daniel have wrote.

If you see it different, it is ok for me, too.

Anyway, the real winner is 3d coat and the Pilgway Team.

And thats the best of that contest.

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, Malo said:

Hi Ranger.

Yes you are absolutly right, about the the last part.

But this is a personal taste of what the Pilgway Team chooce the winner. Absolutly ok and fine.

And if that means, maybe not the best entry win, but the entry where most of the work is done in 3d coat, it is fine, too.

Anyway.

Nobody is trying to fit the rules to his needs.

I only repeat what Daniel have wrote.

If you see it different, it is ok for me, too.

Anyway, the real winner is 3d coat and the Pilgway Team.

And thats the best of that contest.

You and I both know Pilgway would MUCH prefer contestants do as much as possible in 3D Coat, and that is what the rules IMPLY....even if they don't clarify (which they certainly should have). It would be very disappointing to a lot of folks who are considering 3D Coat currently, to see that even in their own sponsored, app-specific contest...the best entry only used a small portion of the tools in the app and relied on other tools in other apps for all the heavy lifting. I would hate to see that, personally. And I'm sure that is how Andrew and the Pilgway staff will view it, too.

From what I have seen thus far, there are going to be at least 3 entries that would be worth the 1st prize. So, it's probably going to come down to a matter of who used 3D Coat the most, in their project...as the determining factor.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yes, you and i know it. And you are absolutly right as i say it above.

But as far as i see, there are many entrys that wont follow that way. They started in Maya, 3dmax, Blender and maybe other Apps. They even use old Projects from school. Daniel wrote that is ALL allowed.

Hopefully it wont end in a desaster if half of the competitors disqualified it self, if they use 3d Coat only for texturing. For them the Contest will end in a joke. Sure they learned and see how 3d Coat works, but they would be realy carefull to join the next contest if the rules arent that clear or give a shit on 3d coat and never come back. I dont know, but i wont hope so.

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, Malo said:

Yes, you and i know it. And you are absolutly right as i say it above.

But as far as i see, there are many entrys that wont follow that way. They started in Maya, 3dmax, Blender and maybe other Apps. They even use old Projects from school. Daniel wrote that is ALL allowed.

Hopefully it wont end in a desaster if half of the competitors disqualified it self, if they use 3d Coat only for texturing. For them the Contest will end in a joke. Sure they learned and see how 3d Coat works, but they would be realy carefull to join the next contest if the rules arent that clear or give a shit on 3d coat and never come back. I dont know, but i wont hope so.

I don't know of any App-specific contest that "allows" all the heavy lifting in a project, to be done outside the application. With Vue, their contests always just content done exclusively in their app, and even though the contestant is allowed to add external models into the scene for final composition (ie, and old shack for a "Home on the Plains" type of concept), the judges will not take that model into consideration. It merely is garnish, as it were. Same thing would apply to a rendering software contest. Sure, you can't model in VRay, so you have to provide the model content, but the contestants won't be judged/awarded for rendering content they did not do in VRay. That is just common sense.

Common sense would also dictate that since 3D Coat is a Modeling, Sculpting, Retopology, UV layout, and Texture Painting app, that a contest held by Pilgway involving the construction and texture painting of a model in a specific genre, would indeed require the app to be used in that context. Again, why should a contestant who has done all the heavy lifting in another app, plus having done so prior to the start of this contest, be awarded over someone who built their model in 3D Coat only during this contest and within 3D Coat (with the understanding that this is an app-specific contest)? They shouldn't, IMHO.

There will be a handful of entries that are well deserving of the top spot, and it is only fair that those who did the bulk of their work inside 3D Coat, take home the prize...even if Pilgway did a poor job of defining the parameters. Most artists know that an app-specific contest is intended to show what that app can do....not what other apps can. An entry done almost exclusively in 3D Coat deserves much more credit in the judging than someone who only used 3D Coat to slap on some smart materials.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, isn't that contradictional?

> The model should not be publicized earlier! The exceptions are: secondary objects used for the final scene.

>
Feel free to share the message about the challenge in social networks! You may also submit your final creations on Sketchfab with a specific tag "3dcoatchallenge2016".

So if I post model on Sketchfab and this is will be my final entry along with a main picture, will it be considered as 'model publicized earlier', or not? Cuz you know, sketchfab are other platform and so on.

Or last part of rules meant to be after results of challenge?

Thank you.

Oh, that's great! And is it allowed to share model via SketchFab and some parts, like material libraries, with community? Or better to do it after?

Also, is just post in WIP thread with something like "this is my final image" will be ok, or I must send link to it in special thread\e-mail\etc?

Thx.

ATTENTION GUYS!

In response to your requests we extend the Challenge by 30 days. So the NEW deadline is August 10.

This is a great news for all of you to show your best work of Art. Take a deep breath and make some stunning materials, light, background, final composition, and Final Render!

Good Luck everyone!

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

I don't think its a good idea to change the deadline.

Be able to complete within the two months time frame is, well, a necessary step in order to make into a contest. Planning your piece to be possible to create in a certain schedule makes part of the thing, no? Just like real life jobs and everthing.

Not a popular post, I know.

Edited by dimitribastos
  • Like 3

• Advanced Member

I hate to be that guy, but I will deliver on the original deadline. I just don't think that it's fair with everyone who dedicated their time and efforts, and planning, and design, and modeling, and texturing, and rendering in order to complete the contest within two months. Now a lot of people have 50% more time to work - time that other people may not have.

I think you just broke the contest. :(

Please, do read this as constructive criticism. Next time would be great to have more solid rules.

Edited by dimitribastos
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, dimitribastos said:

I hate to be that guy, but I will deliver on the original deadline. I just don't think that it's fair with everyone who dedicated their time and efforts, and planning, and design, and modeling, and texturing, and rendering in order to complete the contest within two months. Now a lot of people have 50% more time to work - time that other people may not have.

I think you just broke the contest. :(

Please, do read this as constructive criticism. Next time would be great to have more solid rules.

I agree with this opinion.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

For me, even in such a rush, i would need jost 2-3 days to finish it. But anyway, let us respect 3d coat team too. I think i will spend extra time making my work better and do things i was skipping to finish at time. Just spend extra time to make environment =)

Edited by Vladukenzo
  • Like 2