3DCoat Forums

First Official 3D Modelling Contest

Daniel

• Advanced Member
On 7/8/2016 at 9:01 AM, dimitribastos said:

I hate to be that guy, but I will deliver on the original deadline. I just don't think that it's fair with everyone who dedicated their time and efforts, and planning, and design, and modeling, and texturing, and rendering in order to complete the contest within two months. Now a lot of people have 50% more time to work - time that other people may not have.

I think you just broke the contest. :(

Please, do read this as constructive criticism. Next time would be great to have more solid rules.

Extensions are fine. It means you have more time to polish your entry and more people can submit. I get that sometimes people wont want the competition, but also look at it from Pilgway's point of view. What do they get out of the competition? Most of these competitions are done to get some good marketing material out of them, while also generating interest in trying out the software. Two things have happened.
1. Not enough material has been created to generate some good marketing material.
2. 4.7 has been released, bringing in more interested parties. To get people interested in delving into a new release, the extension further aids in that endeavor.

Remember, this is not autodesk here, they dont have mountains of money to throw out. Its a small studio in Kiev, Ukraine with a niche market. Its in every 3D Coat user's interest to see the software get out of the niche category.

• Like 2

Oh dear if I would've known it'd be until August, my poor grasp of the English language -- (or my budding dyslexia? :I ) -- wouldn't have caused me to misread the deadline as June 10th! :D I might've planned my workflow a little more carefully and had fewer sleepless nights... :(

It's too late for me now as the project now fills my RAM to the very brim, and may break in its delicate balance, but I'm extremely happy for those who may be able to finish and polish up their respective projects! The forum is saturated with great inspiration and it has been a blast lurking everyone's projects! Good luck to us all.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, RabenWulf said:

Extensions are fine. It means you have more time to polish your entry and more people can submit. I get that sometimes people wont want the competition, but also look at it from Pilgway's point of view. What do they get out of the competition? Most of these competitions are done to get some good marketing material out of them, while also generating interest in trying out the software. Two things have happened.
1. Not enough material has been created to generate some good marketing material.
2. 4.7 has been released, bringing in more interested parties. To get people interested in delving into a new release, the extension further aids in that endeavor.

Remember, this is not autodesk here, they dont have mountains of money to throw out. Its a small studio in Kiev, Ukraine with a niche market. Its in every 3D Coat user's interest to see the software get out of the niche category.

I absoluely agree with ypu/ Coat team needs us to show what their soft does. The other thing is that me and other users will have more reasons to develop good workflows. We also find more bugs and short ways to work during competetive form of working. For example, when i was rushing i found many ways to make creation easier =)

So friends, lets be more open and share techniques during the competition. Dont be selfish =)

• Like 1

I'm going to say my peace and that's it: I think this is a fine decision because.... [reasons already stated above by RabenWulf. I was about to repeat it all...].

As a newbie I have learned a TON throughout this highly motivated period, ultra-extended trial, and was really bummed when I knew I literally couldn't finish my model, do my first retopo, first texturing and rendering I've ever done all in a mere week to finish out. This truly helps people like me who were at a natural disadvantage, as well as others obviously: busy schedules, latecomers, etc. 

Yeah, the real world is harsh, unforgiving, has firm deadlines, and is in no way accommodating except in the rarest of occasions - so I'm just thankful to Pilgway for the extension and I hope that my best will be good enough to compete - not just to win, but also for anybody who might win, to give Pilgway something they can be excited to display and use effectively, to further their own success, which by extension is beneficial to us all (just not the fewer number who have a ready entry currently) by the whole nature of the industry, etc. In the end it's as much about both as it one or the other to me and this extension gives ANYBODY the chance to deliver an even better product to Andrew and the team, who I think we can all say we appreciate their hard work?

I honestly don't understand why anybody would get upset at the opportunity to do just that. Why not use it?

Edited by motrJR
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

I don't see selfshiness or fear o anything ... I'm sorry. This is just a strict and personal view about rules.

I seriously think one more month desbalance the whole thing. It's not like "well, more competition is bad". Is more like "well, there will be more competition while I can't really compete". Speaking for myself, I can not spend one more month in order to make my piece better. And I think a lot of people really can't. So I had two months to do my best, other people will have three months to do their best. It just does not feels right. But again, that's only my view.

Anyway, there is no point in discussing anymore. I just let my opinion on this matter because I felt such freedom to do so. But I do really understand that this contest is good for Pilgway and 3D-Coat... and just hope the best for everyone.

One suggestion: regular contests. Two or three per year, one or two licenses as prizes. Maybe one big contest annually. This way you can generate buzz for the whole year despite any new software releases.  

Good luck to you all (me included - will use one or two more days to finishing up).  :)

Edited by dimitribastos
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hello,

some questions :

1) The contest closing the August 10. Okay! But when? midnight 23H59? Local time? In what city ?

2) Do I have the right to paint some parts of the scenery by hand?

Thank .^_^