3D Coat Forums
Daniel

First Official 3D Modelling Contest

Yes, you and i know it. And you are absolutly right as i say it above.

But as far as i see, there are many entrys that wont follow that way. They started in Maya, 3dmax, Blender and maybe other Apps. They even use old Projects from school. Daniel wrote that is ALL allowed.

Hopefully it wont end in a desaster if half of the competitors disqualified it self, if they use 3d Coat only for texturing. For them the Contest will end in a joke. Sure they learned and see how 3d Coat works, but they would be realy carefull to join the next contest if the rules arent that clear or give a shit on 3d coat and never come back. I dont know, but i wont hope so.

10 hours ago, Malo said:

Yes, you and i know it. And you are absolutly right as i say it above.

But as far as i see, there are many entrys that wont follow that way. They started in Maya, 3dmax, Blender and maybe other Apps. They even use old Projects from school. Daniel wrote that is ALL allowed.

Hopefully it wont end in a desaster if half of the competitors disqualified it self, if they use 3d Coat only for texturing. For them the Contest will end in a joke. Sure they learned and see how 3d Coat works, but they would be realy carefull to join the next contest if the rules arent that clear or give a shit on 3d coat and never come back. I dont know, but i wont hope so.

I don't know of any App-specific contest that "allows" all the heavy lifting in a project, to be done outside the application. With Vue, their contests always just content done exclusively in their app, and even though the contestant is allowed to add external models into the scene for final composition (ie, and old shack for a "Home on the Plains" type of concept), the judges will not take that model into consideration. It merely is garnish, as it were. Same thing would apply to a rendering software contest. Sure, you can't model in VRay, so you have to provide the model content, but the contestants won't be judged/awarded for rendering content they did not do in VRay. That is just common sense.

Common sense would also dictate that since 3D Coat is a Modeling, Sculpting, Retopology, UV layout, and Texture Painting app, that a contest held by Pilgway involving the construction and texture painting of a model in a specific genre, would indeed require the app to be used in that context. Again, why should a contestant who has done all the heavy lifting in another app, plus having done so prior to the start of this contest, be awarded over someone who built their model in 3D Coat only during this contest and within 3D Coat (with the understanding that this is an app-specific contest)? They shouldn't, IMHO.

There will be a handful of entries that are well deserving of the top spot, and it is only fair that those who did the bulk of their work inside 3D Coat, take home the prize...even if Pilgway did a poor job of defining the parameters. Most artists know that an app-specific contest is intended to show what that app can do....not what other apps can. An entry done almost exclusively in 3D Coat deserves much more credit in the judging than someone who only used 3D Coat to slap on some smart materials.

• Like 4

I'm sorry, isn't that contradictional?

> The model should not be publicized earlier! The exceptions are: secondary objects used for the final scene.

>
Feel free to share the message about the challenge in social networks! You may also submit your final creations on Sketchfab with a specific tag "3dcoatchallenge2016".

So if I post model on Sketchfab and this is will be my final entry along with a main picture, will it be considered as 'model publicized earlier', or not? Cuz you know, sketchfab are other platform and so on.

Or last part of rules meant to be after results of challenge?

Thank you.

Last part of rules meant to be at challenge end time to showoff your Final Model. Its a presentation plus.

Oh, that's great! And is it allowed to share model via SketchFab and some parts, like material libraries, with community? Or better to do it after?

Also, is just post in WIP thread with something like "this is my final image" will be ok, or I must send link to it in special thread\e-mail\etc?

Thx.

ATTENTION GUYS!

In response to your requests we extend the Challenge by 30 days. So the NEW deadline is August 10.

This is a great news for all of you to show your best work of Art. Take a deep breath and make some stunning materials, light, background, final composition, and Final Render!

Good Luck everyone!

• Like 4

Great news, a chance to improve the work and sleep more. :good2:

Just a simple question, can I post the WIP in facebook or twitter?

Cheers.

Paulo Duarte

• Like 1

I don't think its a good idea to change the deadline.

Be able to complete within the two months time frame is, well, a necessary step in order to make into a contest. Planning your piece to be possible to create in a certain schedule makes part of the thing, no? Just like real life jobs and everthing.

Not a popular post, I know.

Edited by dimitribastos
  • Like 3

I hate to be that guy, but I will deliver on the original deadline. I just don't think that it's fair with everyone who dedicated their time and efforts, and planning, and design, and modeling, and texturing, and rendering in order to complete the contest within two months. Now a lot of people have 50% more time to work - time that other people may not have.

I think you just broke the contest. :(

Please, do read this as constructive criticism. Next time would be great to have more solid rules.

Edited by dimitribastos
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, dimitribastos said:

I hate to be that guy, but I will deliver on the original deadline. I just don't think that it's fair with everyone who dedicated their time and efforts, and planning, and design, and modeling, and texturing, and rendering in order to complete the contest within two months. Now a lot of people have 50% more time to work - time that other people may not have.

Please, do read this as constructive criticism. Next time would be great to have more solid rules.

I agree with this opinion.

• Like 1

For me, even in such a rush, i would need jost 2-3 days to finish it. But anyway, let us respect 3d coat team too. I think i will spend extra time making my work better and do things i was skipping to finish at time. Just spend extra time to make environment =)

Edited by Vladukenzo
  • Like 2

Hmm... I guess I will resume and finish my entry after all! :)

• Like 1

On 7/8/2016 at 9:01 AM, dimitribastos said:

Extensions are fine. It means you have more time to polish your entry and more people can submit. I get that sometimes people wont want the competition, but also look at it from Pilgway's point of view. What do they get out of the competition? Most of these competitions are done to get some good marketing material out of them, while also generating interest in trying out the software. Two things have happened.
1. Not enough material has been created to generate some good marketing material.
2. 4.7 has been released, bringing in more interested parties. To get people interested in delving into a new release, the extension further aids in that endeavor.

Remember, this is not autodesk here, they dont have mountains of money to throw out. Its a small studio in Kiev, Ukraine with a niche market. Its in every 3D Coat user's interest to see the software get out of the niche category.

• Like 2

Oh dear if I would've known it'd be until August, my poor grasp of the English language -- (or my budding dyslexia? :I ) -- wouldn't have caused me to misread the deadline as June 10th! :D I might've planned my workflow a little more carefully and had fewer sleepless nights... :(

It's too late for me now as the project now fills my RAM to the very brim, and may break in its delicate balance, but I'm extremely happy for those who may be able to finish and polish up their respective projects! The forum is saturated with great inspiration and it has been a blast lurking everyone's projects! Good luck to us all.

9 hours ago, RabenWulf said:

Extensions are fine. It means you have more time to polish your entry and more people can submit. I get that sometimes people wont want the competition, but also look at it from Pilgway's point of view. What do they get out of the competition? Most of these competitions are done to get some good marketing material out of them, while also generating interest in trying out the software. Two things have happened.
1. Not enough material has been created to generate some good marketing material.
2. 4.7 has been released, bringing in more interested parties. To get people interested in delving into a new release, the extension further aids in that endeavor.

Remember, this is not autodesk here, they dont have mountains of money to throw out. Its a small studio in Kiev, Ukraine with a niche market. Its in every 3D Coat user's interest to see the software get out of the niche category.

I absoluely agree with ypu/ Coat team needs us to show what their soft does. The other thing is that me and other users will have more reasons to develop good workflows. We also find more bugs and short ways to work during competetive form of working. For example, when i was rushing i found many ways to make creation easier =)

So friends, lets be more open and share techniques during the competition. Dont be selfish =)

• Like 1

I'm going to say my peace and that's it: I think this is a fine decision because.... [reasons already stated above by RabenWulf. I was about to repeat it all...].

As a newbie I have learned a TON throughout this highly motivated period, ultra-extended trial, and was really bummed when I knew I literally couldn't finish my model, do my first retopo, first texturing and rendering I've ever done all in a mere week to finish out. This truly helps people like me who were at a natural disadvantage, as well as others obviously: busy schedules, latecomers, etc. 

Yeah, the real world is harsh, unforgiving, has firm deadlines, and is in no way accommodating except in the rarest of occasions - so I'm just thankful to Pilgway for the extension and I hope that my best will be good enough to compete - not just to win, but also for anybody who might win, to give Pilgway something they can be excited to display and use effectively, to further their own success, which by extension is beneficial to us all (just not the fewer number who have a ready entry currently) by the whole nature of the industry, etc. In the end it's as much about both as it one or the other to me and this extension gives ANYBODY the chance to deliver an even better product to Andrew and the team, who I think we can all say we appreciate their hard work?

I honestly don't understand why anybody would get upset at the opportunity to do just that. Why not use it?

Edited by motrJR
  • Like 2

Hear, hear! Pilgway captured more interest with it's extensions and provided newbies with ample time to become familiar with the software.

• Like 2

I don't see selfshiness or fear o anything ... I'm sorry. This is just a strict and personal view about rules.

I seriously think one more month desbalance the whole thing. It's not like "well, more competition is bad". Is more like "well, there will be more competition while I can't really compete". Speaking for myself, I can not spend one more month in order to make my piece better. And I think a lot of people really can't. So I had two months to do my best, other people will have three months to do their best. It just does not feels right. But again, that's only my view.

Anyway, there is no point in discussing anymore. I just let my opinion on this matter because I felt such freedom to do so. But I do really understand that this contest is good for Pilgway and 3D-Coat... and just hope the best for everyone.

One suggestion: regular contests. Two or three per year, one or two licenses as prizes. Maybe one big contest annually. This way you can generate buzz for the whole year despite any new software releases.  

Good luck to you all (me included - will use one or two more days to finishing up).  :)

Edited by dimitribastos
  • Like 4

Hello,

some questions :

1) The contest closing the August 10. Okay! But when? midnight 23H59? Local time? In what city ?

2) Do I have the right to paint some parts of the scenery by hand?

Thank .^_^