3DCoat Forums

PBR preview thiner resolution than my painting

Hi there :)

I imported a 3DSMax obj format mesh already unwrapped into 3D Coat for Painting. When I create a smart material and see the result in the "Smart Material Preview" window, the details of a noise depth (TextureScale 1% to get a thin result) for example look really nice. But when I paint, I always en up with a pixelated and far less defined result as you can see in the screenshot below :

As I work on a 2048 texture map in 3DCoat I should end up with thin enough details ?

If someone know a way to fix this issue, it would be great. I have to finish this text for a potential job asap and I'm a bit stuck because of that :(

3DCoat TextureScale.png

• Advanced Member

You could try changing how the mat is projected onto the model.  On the long Preview Options  where it says  UV Mapping   change that setting to  cube mapping or from camera . myself  when setting up a  smart material I set the preferred mapping  to  From Camera  as a jumping off point . That's just me. or hit the reset  if you scaled it up to big.

Thanks Ballistic Tension for your quick answer :)

But won't I lose the original UVs defined in 3DSMax by changing the "Preferred Mapping" : UV-Mapping, to "from camera" as you wrote ? It's for a game so I packed clean the UVs and would like them to stay this way. And I just tried anyway "from camera", "cube Mapping" and so on where it says "UV-Mapping" in the screenshot above but resolution ends up dirty as well. When the "Smart Material Preview" is very detailed...

Something disturbing I noticed also that makes it hard to predict what's happening : the definition of the painting (depth and so on) changes depending on the size of my brush... Oh lord. Such a nice tool and I'm slowed down by newbie issues. So frustrating.

Edited by hansolocambo@gmail.com
Well... because I need to, I guess...

"leather.jpg" is a default 3DCoat 1024 pattern, really clean. I begin to believe it's caused by my UVs ratio. As I don't really have much time and I don't know how to use the UV tools in 3DCoat (but in 5 clics they sounded already so much better than 3DS Max...) I'm checking my mesh again in 3DS Max. Might be the reason. I'll come back here to keep the thread updated. Thanks Tony ;)

Well something was obviously wrong with my UVs. And I fixed it with 3DCoat packing tools : much better than 3DS Max that I hate more and more because of its crappy pivot point and so many annoying little things that exist for more than 10 years and have never been fixed.

It's all getting better now :) 

2016-07-04 10_44_31-Greenshot.png

Edited by hansolocambo@gmail.com
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...