3DCoat Forums

Why Mac and Windows separately?

Smolli

Hi,

I just bought 3D-Coat after having watched a multitude of tutorials and having extensively tested it. Having ZB since 1.5d but never really gotten into it except for small task mainly to shove it over to Keyshot :)

Ok, but the main point is, why these split platform licenses? I have both, a Mac and Windows and I like switching over depending on what I do. Same as with ZB, why can't I use one license for any OS I have? LW does it, C4D does (don't have it anymore though).

I really wish I could easily switch from on to the other...

Cheers

Philipp

Edited by Smolli
False c&p :)

I already had to spend some thoughts about Win/Mac for this and accepted the fact that I have no choice. I was just asking why the decision was made to sell the soft platform dependent. Just of curiosity and not because I think that I could change anything about this.

• Reputable Contributor

Maybe Pixologic changed it's policy in recent years, but you are stuck with either OS or the other when you buy a license of ZB. I know because I was, at one point, inquiring about buying the license from a friend...whom I knew was not using it. Problem was, I'm on Windows and he was on a MAC, and you cannot just use the same license for both. With 3D Coat, there is only a small $40 charge to use a 2nd OS, and the reason is because Andrew has to pay a programmer full time, to port all builds to MAC/LINUX. This $40 is just to help pay for the extra expense Andrew has to expend. Instead of factoring that cost into all licenses, he just does so for those who need it. Seems very fair to me.

Hi AbnRanger,

yeah Pixologic changed it again. Now you can switch ONCE (and only switch). Your are of course free to buy a second license for half the price I think.

But thank you for the explanation. I know from Scrivener (a writing app) that they have a windows version being developed completely apart from the main Mac version, and it's being developed by a completely other guy. Much effort of course and hence one has to pay for both.

But $40 is ok and not as much as I thought. Fair enough imho.

Cheers and thanks for the insight.

• Reputable Contributor
13 hours ago, Smolli said:

Hi AbnRanger,

yeah Pixologic changed it again. Now you can switch ONCE (and only switch). Your are of course free to buy a second license for half the price I think.

But thank you for the explanation. I know from Scrivener (a writing app) that they have a windows version being developed completely apart from the main Mac version, and it's being developed by a completely other guy. Much effort of course and hence one has to pay for both.

But $40 is ok and not as much as I thought. Fair enough imho.

Cheers and thanks for the insight.

Glad to help. I think some people naturally assume you have to buy a 2nd license and that just isn't the case. Andrew is a pretty fair person.