3D Coat Forums
Carlosan

Radeon ProRender - AMD’s OpenCL based, PBR-renderer

macOS® versions of the Radeon™ ProRender plug-ins for Blender™ and Maya® are now available for artists using Apple® Mac® systems, and support Apple’s Metal® 2 API and external GPUs 1 for maximum rendering performance.

Radeon ProRender is AMD’s powerful, physically-based rendering engine for CAD designers and 3D artists, available with free plug-ins and add-ins for Autodesk® 3ds Max®, Autodesk Maya, Blender, and Dassault Systèmes SOLIDWORKS®, and it is natively integrated into Maxon Cinema 4D™ R19.

Following on from February’s beta releases, we’re excited to announce that, along with the currently available macOS version of Cinema 4D R19, artists using Apple Mac hardware that supports Metal 2 can now use Radeon ProRender with Blender and Maya by downloading our new plug-ins today.

In addition to macOS support, these updates include several new features designed to enhance and accelerate artists’ workflows, and make their lives easier.

Yep, it's a very nice renderer. Fast, especially on AMD GPUs, and it works intuitively if you're used to GI renderers such as Blender's Cycles.

New builds are available on https://pro.radeon.com/en/software/prorender/download/

Some notable features:

• Updated and optimized export on all plugins, particularly with complex scenes with instancing.

• More responsive interactive rendering

• Simplified render settings

• Ambient occlusion shader node https://i.imgur.com/cAybo5h.jpg

• Ability to enable or disable caustics for faster or more precise glass rendering https://i.imgur.com/krYZ43X.jpg

• Updated Uber shaders. Uber is our main shader, and we’ve added features to give artists even more freedom. Some highlights:

Diffuse Backscattering (useful for thin materials like leaves) https://i.imgur.com/uFIKrI9.jpg

Clearcoat thickness. Clearcoat is often used like a “lacquer” type layer on surface, think a layer on a basketball court. Now you can simulate the thickness and color of the substrate all in the shader. https://i.imgur.com/9bSJGjR.jpg

Separated normal parameters. Simplified SSS, and more.

• Like 2

Cool. I requested the Ambient Occlusion at the ProRender development forum, and they implemented it. :good2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://pro.radeon.com/en/amd-radeon-prorender-siggraph-2018-new-features-updated-integrations-plug-ins/ 

For SIGGRAPH 2018, AMD is updating Radeon ProRender with some significant new features, announcing updates to its integration in Maxon Cinema 4D and Modo® by Foundry, and releasing new plug-ins for PTC Creo® and Pixar’s USD viewport.

Fast, easy, and incredible, Radeon ProRender is AMD’s physically-based rendering engine with free plug-ins available for popular digital content-creation applications like Autodesk 3ds Max®, Autodesk Maya®, Blender, and Dassault Systèmes SOLIDWORKS®. It is also integrated into Maxon Cinema 4D R19.

At this year’s SIGGRAPH 2018 event, AMD is releasing quite a few updates to Radeon ProRender, including new features, new plug-ins, and updated integrations. Read on for more details about everything that’s new.

Yan-Ge-IHDT_Radeon-ProRender_C4Dr20_Gara

Nice! But where can you read about the new features?

Thanks @Carlosan. 1.7 is the update that was released a month ago. For a moment I thought there was a brand new version.

I'm eagerly awaiting a version that supports vertex paint. Until then you're stuck with UV-mapped texturing.

6 hours ago, Metin Seven said:

Thanks @Carlosan. 1.7 is the update that was released a month ago. For a moment I thought there was a brand new version.

I'm eagerly awaiting a version that supports vertex paint. Until then you're stuck with UV-mapped texturing.

True, but one can decimate (or use Instant Meshes as the Auto-Retopo option) a version of a high poly sculpt as a Retopo Mesh and bake with AutoUV enabled, to get a usable option (that largely bypasses the time-consuming Retopo and Uv layout process)

• Like 1

Nothing on cryptomatte yet. However we just put out new plugins for Q4 with some fun updates:

• Sheen added to uber shader
  • New material library with separate installer
  • More interactive viewport renders
  • Light group AOVS
  • Stability improvements, and more!

https://community.amd.com/community/prorender/blog/2018/11/16/amd-radeon-prorender-updates-for-q4-2018 11

Once Carrots is finished doing what he is working on (GPU Brush engine for the Paint Room?), I hope he contacts AMD and works with them to integrate ProRender in 3DCoat. I think it would be a huge hit. I'm impressed with what I've been seeing lately in the Modo and Blender versions. It's very close to Octane level of performance. I think the reason it wasn't considered before is perhaps because it wasn't able to handle really dense meshes as well as Renderman. However, I'm sure AMD could help optimize it so that it is better able to handle larger meshes.

Plus, the Renderman integration leaves a lot to be desired in that there is no interactivity. It basically exports the scene to Renderman Standalone, which shows the result in the viewport or preview panel...but again, no interactive rendering mode, and when rendering PAINT objects, it will only render one UV map. No Shadow-catching material/shader, either, which is necessary for rendering with an HDRI environment. No turntable rendering in Renderman, either. So, we need something more tightly integrated into 3DCoat.

• Like 1

I agree. Radeon ProRender is a fast renderer that is actively developed, and works great with AMD cards on a Mac. I'm very satisfied using it in Blender.

• Like 1

I am only waiting any news about cryptomatte support to begin switching to RPR on small production test.

I asked Andrew to integrate ProRender in 3DCoat too. And to add Alembic and USD can help a lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

I am only waiting any news about cryptomatte support to begin switching to RPR on small production test.

I asked Andrew to integrate ProRender in 3DCoat too. And to add Alembic and USD can help a lot.

Yeah. I'd be happy if they just add it, initially to work with just PAINT OBJECTS (Low-Med Poly, UV mapped meshes). If it cannot yet handle meshes with millions of polygons, that's fine. Knowing that up front, users can always just RMB the VoxTree layer > RETOPO VIA DECIMATION or just either Auto Retopo or Instant Meshes to generate a lower poly version. Then bake. It's not that big of a deal, IMO. It's better to have ProRender that works great on Paint Objects, than not have it at all, just because it cannot render dense Sculpt Objects.

• Like 1

AMD has recently revealed a new version of its free GPU renderer for 3DS Max. The update brings adaptive subdivision, a bilateral denoiser that is on by default, the ability to export for .rpr format, a new AO node that can be used for simulating dirt, the ability to use physical lights in Active Shade mode, improved Uber shaders, improved performance and more. Read the full list in the release notes

prorender.jpg

• Added .rpr export format.
  • Added adaptive subdivision.  Adaptive subdivision allows the user to specify the size in pixels to subdivide to.  1 being to divide so faces are 1 pixel in size, and 2 would mean coarser subdivision.  (1 is recommended).  This will take into account the size of the object in screen, so faraway objects will not over-subdivided.
  • Bilateral denoiser is now the selected default in the UI.
  • A number of Uber3 default values have changed from 0 to 1: ReflectionWeight, RefractionWeight, CoatingWeight, EmissiveWeight, EmissiveIntensity, SSSWeight, Transparency.
  • Updated Uber shaders:
    • Diffuse backscattering option, allows simple backlighting for objects like tree leaves or semi-translucent film.
    • Clearcoat thickness and transmission color.  Allows simulating effects like a lacquer on a surface, allowing the artist to specify how thick the coating is, and if the coating has a color to the substrate, for example a yellowish tint to a varnish on furniture.
    • Refraction absorption, for glass and liquid objects that scatter light, for example deep water or glass with particles in it.
    • Per lobe normals.  Artists can specify a normal map for each lobe, for example in car paint, a different normal map can be used for just the clearcoat to simulate microscratches from waxing the surface, while the underlying material has a smoother normal map.
    • Refractions (Glass) Now default to not allow caustics, this will lead to faster, less noisy images as caustics are not computed unless necessary.  For materials that the user does want caustics for, simply enable the checkbox in the refraction section of Uber

AMD

You can find the full list in the release notes

Source: amd.com