3DCoat Forums

Radeon ProRender Free - AMD’s OpenCL based, PBR renderer

https://pro.radeon.com/en/amd-radeon-prorender-siggraph-2018-new-features-updated-integrations-plug-ins/ 

For SIGGRAPH 2018, AMD is updating Radeon ProRender with some significant new features, announcing updates to its integration in Maxon Cinema 4D and Modo® by Foundry, and releasing new plug-ins for PTC Creo® and Pixar’s USD viewport.

Fast, easy, and incredible, Radeon ProRender is AMD’s physically-based rendering engine with free plug-ins available for popular digital content-creation applications like Autodesk 3ds Max®, Autodesk Maya®, Blender, and Dassault Systèmes SOLIDWORKS®. It is also integrated into Maxon Cinema 4D R19.

At this year’s SIGGRAPH 2018 event, AMD is releasing quite a few updates to Radeon ProRender, including new features, new plug-ins, and updated integrations. Read on for more details about everything that’s new.

Yan-Ge-IHDT_Radeon-ProRender_C4Dr20_Gara

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Thanks @Carlosan. 1.7 is the update that was released a month ago. For a moment I thought there was a brand new version.

I'm eagerly awaiting a version that supports vertex paint. Until then you're stuck with UV-mapped texturing.

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, Metin Seven said:

Thanks @Carlosan. 1.7 is the update that was released a month ago. For a moment I thought there was a brand new version.

I'm eagerly awaiting a version that supports vertex paint. Until then you're stuck with UV-mapped texturing.

True, but one can decimate (or use Instant Meshes as the Auto-Retopo option) a version of a high poly sculpt as a Retopo Mesh and bake with AutoUV enabled, to get a usable option (that largely bypasses the time-consuming Retopo and Uv layout process)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nothing on cryptomatte yet. However we just put out new plugins for Q4 with some fun updates:

• Sheen added to uber shader
  • New material library with separate installer
  • More interactive viewport renders
  • Light group AOVS
  • Stability improvements, and more!

https://community.amd.com/community/prorender/blog/2018/11/16/amd-radeon-prorender-updates-for-q4-2018 11

• Reputable Contributor

Once Carrots is finished doing what he is working on (GPU Brush engine for the Paint Room?), I hope he contacts AMD and works with them to integrate ProRender in 3DCoat. I think it would be a huge hit. I'm impressed with what I've been seeing lately in the Modo and Blender versions. It's very close to Octane level of performance. I think the reason it wasn't considered before is perhaps because it wasn't able to handle really dense meshes as well as Renderman. However, I'm sure AMD could help optimize it so that it is better able to handle larger meshes.

Plus, the Renderman integration leaves a lot to be desired in that there is no interactivity. It basically exports the scene to Renderman Standalone, which shows the result in the viewport or preview panel...but again, no interactive rendering mode, and when rendering PAINT objects, it will only render one UV map. No Shadow-catching material/shader, either, which is necessary for rendering with an HDRI environment. No turntable rendering in Renderman, either. So, we need something more tightly integrated into 3DCoat.

• Like 2

I am only waiting any news about cryptomatte support to begin switching to RPR on small production test.

I asked Andrew to integrate ProRender in 3DCoat too. And to add Alembic and USD can help a lot.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

I am only waiting any news about cryptomatte support to begin switching to RPR on small production test.

I asked Andrew to integrate ProRender in 3DCoat too. And to add Alembic and USD can help a lot.

Yeah. I'd be happy if they just add it, initially to work with just PAINT OBJECTS (Low-Med Poly, UV mapped meshes). If it cannot yet handle meshes with millions of polygons, that's fine. Knowing that up front, users can always just RMB the VoxTree layer > RETOPO VIA DECIMATION or just either Auto Retopo or Instant Meshes to generate a lower poly version. Then bake. It's not that big of a deal, IMO. It's better to have ProRender that works great on Paint Objects, than not have it at all, just because it cannot render dense Sculpt Objects.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

AMD has recently revealed a new version of its free GPU renderer for 3DS Max. The update brings adaptive subdivision, a bilateral denoiser that is on by default, the ability to export for .rpr format, a new AO node that can be used for simulating dirt, the ability to use physical lights in Active Shade mode, improved Uber shaders, improved performance and more. Read the full list in the release notes

prorender.jpg

• Added .rpr export format.
  • Added adaptive subdivision.  Adaptive subdivision allows the user to specify the size in pixels to subdivide to.  1 being to divide so faces are 1 pixel in size, and 2 would mean coarser subdivision.  (1 is recommended).  This will take into account the size of the object in screen, so faraway objects will not over-subdivided.
  • Bilateral denoiser is now the selected default in the UI.
  • A number of Uber3 default values have changed from 0 to 1: ReflectionWeight, RefractionWeight, CoatingWeight, EmissiveWeight, EmissiveIntensity, SSSWeight, Transparency.
  • Updated Uber shaders:
    • Diffuse backscattering option, allows simple backlighting for objects like tree leaves or semi-translucent film.
    • Clearcoat thickness and transmission color.  Allows simulating effects like a lacquer on a surface, allowing the artist to specify how thick the coating is, and if the coating has a color to the substrate, for example a yellowish tint to a varnish on furniture.
    • Refraction absorption, for glass and liquid objects that scatter light, for example deep water or glass with particles in it.
    • Per lobe normals.  Artists can specify a normal map for each lobe, for example in car paint, a different normal map can be used for just the clearcoat to simulate microscratches from waxing the surface, while the underlying material has a smoother normal map.
    • Refractions (Glass) Now default to not allow caustics, this will lead to faster, less noisy images as caustics are not computed unless necessary.  For materials that the user does want caustics for, simply enable the checkbox in the refraction section of Uber

AMD

You can find the full list in the release notes

Source: amd.com

• 4 months later...

New release April 5

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-prorender

AMD ProRender Ferrari

Create Stunningly Photorealistic Images

Fast. Easy. Incredible.

AMD Radeon ProRender is a powerful physically-based rendering engine that enables creative professionals to produce stunningly photorealistic images.

Built on AMD’s high-performance Radeon Rays technology, Radeon ProRender’s complete, scalable ray tracing engine uses open industry standards to harness GPU and CPU performance for swift, impressive results.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Today, we are providing a beta preview of Radeon ProRender with Full Spectrum Rendering in our Blender 2.80 addon.  This gives artists a viewport that can be scaled from super-fast rasterized to fully ray traced, all with physically accurate materials and lighting.  You can download the add-on from Here.

What is Full Spectrum Rendering?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

It's a good piece of software but needs some testing out. The SSS works well.

And thanks for your post. It solved a lot  of problems :)

Wow, it's got path tracing too.

Full+Spectrum+Rendering.png

And in case you missed it; Radeon ProRender's material libary

https://radeon-pro.github.io/RadeonProRenderDocs/plugins/matlib/installation.html

https://radeon-pro.github.io/RadeonProRenderDocs/plugins/matlib/materials.html

Download Link

https://www2.ati.com/other/radeonpromateriallibrary.msi

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, jima said:

So, is there a plugin for this to 3dc? Or standalone version? If not, what might be the simplest workflow to get 3dc assets rendered with this tool?

Probably Blender though there's a very nice plug in for Maya too. It's interface and ability to use the material library is on first glance much easier and more intuitive than Blender's but I haven't really explored that aspect of Blender yet.

This is just the viewport real time render, not a final render btw.

ad3OuFc.png

I haven't been able to find any worthwhile tutorials for it in Blender so far. If anyone has some please post them. It would be appreciated.

OK so it took me three or four minutes but I got it working in Blender.

c2Q0r7X.jpg

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

source...

AMD+Radeon+ProRender+1920x700+May+blog+b

AMD Radeon ProRender is our fast, easy, and incredible physically-based rendering engine built on industry standards that can take your rendering to the next level on virtually any GPU, any CPU, and any OS in over a dozen leading digital content creation and CAD applications.

On-time for this week’srelaunch of GPUOpen, we have some exciting new announcements and releases, including some big changes for developers looking to integrate Radeon ProRender into their applications, a preview of our next-generation rendering engine, and new and updated plug-ins for Blender, Houdini, Maya, and Unreal Engine.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, haikalle said:

I don't understand why they left blender image so much noise in trailer. Not good for marketing point.

The only one that I noticed much noise in, was the Blender scene with the kid in it. I agree on that one, but everything else seemed OK. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

but everything else seemed OK. 

If it okay than look on videos from corona and vray, it's huge difference in quality and light. in corona you need nothing to tweak for making realistic render

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

The only one that I noticed much noise in, was the Blender scene with the kid in it. I agree on that one, but everything else seemed OK. 

I think the graininess of that image was a deliberate choice on the part of it's creator/s.  It looks like they wanted that stylization.

• 3 months later...

https://community.amd.com/community/radeon-pro-graphics/blog/2020/08/20/amd-radeon-prorender-developer-updates-and-new-beta-plug-ins-available-now

AMD Radeon ProRender Developer Updates and New Beta Plug-Ins Available Now

AMD+Radeon+ProRender+Aug+2020+blog+banne

AMD Radeon ProRender, available in over a dozen leading digital content creation and CAD applications, is our fast, easy, and incredible rendering engine built on industry standards that lets you create stunningly photorealistic images on virtually any GPU, any CPU, and any OS1.

To coincide with this week’s start of the SIGGRAPH 2020 Virtual Conference, we released some significant updates for developers including a big update to the beta of our upcoming Radeon ProRender 2.0 SDK and new beta versions of our open-source plug-ins for Autodesk Maya, Blender, and SideFX Houdini.

• 7 months later...

Hi all! We just released some new builds for your pleasure including the following enhancements:

• Support for AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT graphics cards has been added.
  • Cryptomatte AOVs make it easy to filter objects by name or material when using compositors that support Cryptomatte (including the Blender Cryptomatte compositor node)
  • A 16-bit Machine Learning Denoiser option is now available to provide for less memory usage and greater speed.
  • The speed and responsiveness of the viewport render has been vastly improved under RPR 2.0:
  • An option for using Machine Learning Denoising and Upscaling the viewport render is enabled under the Viewport Settings. We now render faster at ½ resolution and use the Machine Learning Upscaler to enhance the resolution;
  • Changing the properties tabs no longer restarts the viewport render;
  • Stopping the viewport render is now much faster;
  • Various other fixes to speed up the viewport render have been added.
  • An often requested feature, Box mapping in the Image Texture node, is now supported!
  • Support for Principled Hair BSDF has been added.
  • UV Lookup nodes and math nodes now work in the High, Medium, Low modes.

And a lot more fixes as well as these. Check them out at https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/RadeonProRenderBlenderAddon/releases/tag/v3.1.0 

• Carlosan changed the title to Radeon ProRender Free - AMD’s OpenCL based, PBR renderer