3DCoat Forums

[4.7] Voxel PBR materials and paint layers

Hasuman

So I opened a sculpt I made in 4.6 into 4.7 and found out that the materials I chose in Sculpt room Shaders list don't show through the paint layers I've painted on the object. Is this normal? Or am I missing something? In 4.6 I used the Sculpt Shaders even in rendering with okay results and I've never really used PBRs that much, especially because there aren't any SSS shaders in there.

I did read the new help messages that popped up but they didn't mention anything about paint layers and shaders. I've also put every layer's metalness and depth to 0 just in case even though I never painted any of that on the model. I only painted color and applied AO/cavity map on it.

• Reputable Contributor

PBR Shaders are not the same as PBR Smart Materials. PBR Shaders are just that... a shader, which has and needs no UV's. It's applicable ONLY to high-poly/voxel sculpts/objects, that reside in the Sculpt room. If you have a low-poly original that fits the sculpt fairly close, you can import that into the Retopo room (as your Retopo Mesh/Low Poly baking target) > Click SNAP in the Commands section of the tool panel, to make it snap to the surface of your sculpt. If it snapped OK, then go to the BAKE menu (Retopo Room) > Bake to PPP w/ Normal maps > once baked, 3D Coat sends a copy of the low poly mesh to the Paint workspace with all the baked maps assigned to paint layers.

PBR Shaders have no paint layers....however, you can paint directly on your voxel/surface model with paint layers. This is a way to bypass the whole Retopo > UV process and just paint on the high poly sculpt. You can use the same paint tools and paint layers, either way. And later on, if you want, you can bake both the Vertex paint and your PBR Shaders onto your low poly model.

On 11.7.2016 at 4:58 AM, AbnRanger said:

[Long informative post]

I might have worded my post badly. Also sorry for late reply.

I was trying to ask if I could vertex paint on top of a sculpture and still keep the Skin (pseudo-subsurface scattering) material's effects visible on it. When I paint any color on the mesh, it just covers the SSS effects completely so I can't really create any unique texture on the mesh.

• Reputable Contributor
5 hours ago, Hasuman said:

I might have worded my post badly. Also sorry for late reply.

I was trying to ask if I could vertex paint on top of a sculpture and still keep the Skin (pseudo-subsurface scattering) material's effects visible on it. When I paint any color on the mesh, it just covers the SSS effects completely so I can't really create any unique texture on the mesh.

The SKIN Shader is a True SSS shader, and is not a Psuedo SSS effect like the SSS parameter in all other PBR shaders. In the Pt. 1 video, when the SKIN shader was used, even when the vertex paint layers were made visible (in Paint Room), you could still see the SSS effect in the Render room with Realtime Render checked. Watch that video again and you'll see what I'm referring to.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I should have replied after watching the videos. I was just confused because my older project made in older version didn't want to show SSS through the vertex painting for some reason.

Now I only have one problem. When I bake ambient occlusion or curvature maps and set them to multiply/modulate/any blend setting, they cover the shaders I've set on materials in sculpt room. By that I mean, the ambient occlusion covers their specularity/reflections/glossing unrealistically making the mesh just really dark. Curvature map shows itself as just black and white texture and doesn't change its blending, covering the entire shader.

Edited by Hasuman