3DCoat Forums

How would you unwrap this model?

hello

Hello, 

I have model from sketchup, looks okay, I have many of them and I need to unwrap them in very fast way. No time to spend hours on each model. So I usually use auto uwrap in 3D-Coat and just save it but I noticed it doesn't do good job out of the box and some thing I woudl be happy to fix, like tighter space between uv island, less separate from each other, maybe keep them aout stich and weld togerher? I don't know much of 3D coat uwrapping solutions, I did only manual uwrapping on simple object, but this is big objects with many parts connected in one mesh.

I have attached screenshot of what I could do with auto uwrap, and actual obj file of building. How to make it more niceir unwrap? Maybe I missing something, thank you in advance! 

Screenshot 2016-07-12 15.34.24.png

CondoBremnerAveR2_Uv1.obj

Thank you Carlosan, yes SharpSeams seems very good tool, with combination of UV-Setting and I put 5 instead 100 and it seems doing pretty good auto unwrap with building.

I 'll show you screenshot soon, right now it's on heavy long caulcutation because 5% it soo tight uv islands compare to 100% (actual pixels you can read in that UV setting window). 

Right now I want to go over model and select all balconies on front side and scale them up, so front side will have hight UV island size. It's funny I cannot find this option in 3D-Coat, I can only go over "UV Preview" window and randomly click over polygons and find who is currently selected and scale it up from UV Preview, it's takes long, how to select UV islands or just parts of UV island directly in main viewport window? I was looking for: Select UV Island brush kind of, can't find it.. please someone clarify!

Than k you I'll watch it today,

this is what I got: 

I decided to use low poly object and just project maps from hi-poly and then texturize it in Painter. 

I need collection of dirts, bricks and some windows, I was rushing yesterday :) Second building is much better. I hope it'll work well for mobile game in UE4

Screenshot 2016-07-13 13.53.23.png

• Like 1

Thank you Carlosan for tutorial, now I FINALY know how to select UV from viewport! It's super handy for me for my daily use! 

I learning 3D-Coat, I wish I can texture entire models like this just directly in 3D-Coat.

Retopo meshes, make LowPoly, make UV, bake maps from hi-poly, import them all into low-poly ans start projecting textures from photos and if it possibleto generate some basic normal-maps from regular photo-image on the fly wihtout looking for online-normal map generators.

• Like 1