3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Having some funny lower performance since upgrading to 4.7

motrJR

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this in. If it needs to be moved please do. 

My computer is this: i7-3770k @ 4.3 GHz, Radeon HD 7850 HD 2 GB (bottleneck!), 16 MB RAM, 500 GB HDD plenty of space, Windows 10.

Ever since upgrading to 4.7 for the latest and greatest, I've experienced some funny slowdown I didn't expect (fyi, I use the DX version as GL is not usable with my setup). The same model that ran fine in 4.5 is quite a bit slower in 4.7, to the point of near un-usabilty.  Also the free memory seems to have taken an absolute nosedive. I even deleted a ton of the model (revamping), and yet the memory is lingering around 4700 whereas I would expect it to be somewhere like 8000 at this point in 4.5.

I am a computer efficient person but not clear on all the technicalities. I have tried closing all sorts of things running, for instance GameJolt client, Smartware, etc. in the taskbar and it helps some but are there any reasons I'm not aware of for all of this? Or anything I can do to really help out performance? I already did the Windows appearance thing for performance but I don't know what else to do. It almost seems at this point that if I get the model more complicated I'll have to go back to 4.5 just for usability-sake.

Also, as I'm totally new to the whole retopo, texturing-baking thing I was wondering if I could technically take a model portion, retopop/texture/bake, and then use that more optimized model within 3D Coat while sculpting the rest ...as a sort of workflow I guess. 

Anyway, anybody got any tips or experiencing similar?

Whoops, meant to say proficient but just as well... I don't run a lot when modeling aside from netflix in a tiny window to the side. Which brings another point: never noticed any extreme framerate drop (in netflix) until post upgrade. Anyway, I imagine the software just might get a little wonky upon big updates? This is my first "upgrade" (really just long-term trialing during the competition) so I'm not sure (don't really follow any software so closely/use any extensively enough to know if this is a common during such transitions for outliers).

Thanks Carlosan. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing in that video... though I haven't gotten into the retopo part of the whole thing. Maybe it will make more sense to me after I've gotten more acquainted with the process...

As for the funny performance, I've set up a larger page file on my hdd, uninstalled a bunch of programs that were apparently running services sucking up memory, and finally reinstalled my Intuos 4 drivers (same up-to-date drivers as before I think)... it just seems that it didn't "migrate" well with installing 4.7? I don't know how to put it... It would jump (the cursor) and since uninstalling and reinstalling I haven't had that problem. Maybe it wasn't the latest driver actually... Idk for certain.

Anyway, still kind of weirded out that the 4.7 was running so much less smoothly than 4.5 initially. It's running good now so that's all that matters I guess!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. I am totally confused. I don't know what happened, but when I first made this post I tried both the GL and DX versions. I explicitly remember going back and forth trying each one multiple times. They were both slow as heck but the DX version was slightly better. Then I did that other stuff.

Anyway... Now... weeks later (after having to reduce res all over the place on my model) I just accidentally hit the GL version and it's blazing fast.

Smh. What.

• Like 1