3DCoat Forums

[Feature] Undock windows to move to second screen

CoatFly

Hello, testing 3D-coat again, it looks much better this time now the font size is good.

But how can i undock the windows for textures etc. So the can be moved to a second screen. That gives me a better view on materials , textures and more workspace for painting. It's not possible to drag 3D coat to both screen. The resolution is differrent between both screens.

Also when i see full screen the 3d-coat window is popping back to the first screen.

So how can i undock and move parts to my second screen. Or when is that function coming ? It's really needed, i use it with bledner too.

This is an often requested feature, and I agree it is desparately needed. (I have a 3x2 display setup myself, and 3D-Coat cannot take advantage of it. I mostly use 3D-Coat in the mid-bottom-row screen of my setup only. It's a constant annoyance.)

Give us window docking already!

• Reputable Contributor

While I would like to panels able to be moved to a 2nd monitor like you do with larger 3D apps, we have functionality close enough to it, that I'd personally rather Andrew spend the 2-3+ months of development it would take, on some other, more impactful features. Features like switching both the Paint and Sculpt brush engines to GPU rather than CPU. Both Mari and Mudbox have GPU accelerated painting and that's why it's much faster. Brush performance in 3D Coat is pretty good overall, but it has real problems with 4k+ maps and large brush sizes. For example, if you have a 4k map assigned to a Head UV map, using anything larger than a medium sized brush will start to bog down. It NEEDS to be a GPU-based engine. Even Maxon, who used to own the market in texture painting (BodyPaint), acknowledged that a CPU-based engine was just too limiting.

We also have been waiting on Sculpt layers in the Sculpt room and Photoshop style layers masks in the Paint workspace, among other things. We also need to integrate a full-fledged GPU render engine like Cycles or FireRender. So yeah, there are bigger fish to fry, IMHO, knowing that if I want to work across dual-monitors, you can already do that...even if it isn't quite as elegant. It works.

• Like 3

• Carlosan changed the title to [Feature] Undock windows to move to second screen