3DCoat Forums

[Feature] Baking multiple objects into one UV set

Karnonos

Hi, 

So as you can see from the image I am making a blaster which has many separate pieces. It has been retopo-ed and UV unwrapped to one map. Due to size differences, the only way to get clean bakes is to do them individually and tweak the bake depths according to need. I assumed that when I baked each object, 3D-Coat would place the result into one map also, but it creates a separate UV space every time for each piece! I then have to merge the new UV map into a single one, which takes AGES on an 8k map.

This is a very poor workflow. Am I missing something? Is this really the only way to bake multiple objects into one UV set in 3D-Coat?

Please help.

gun.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Karnonos said:

No it's not.

This is how I'm already doing it. It's what I DON'T want to have to do!

Is there a better sub forum to post this question to?

Have you watched this video yet? 3D Coat has a clever technique to bake multiple objects separately, all in one shot. Doesn't matter if you have one UV map in total or multiple UV maps.

That's not my problem either.

I WANT to do multiple bakes manually, because I need to change the scan depth on each object.

What I don't want is 3D-Coat creating a whole new UV set for each bake instead of just adding it to the first UV set. 

I'm beginning to think there is no way to do this, and I need to hope for a feature update.

Thanks for the replies. I'll just keep merging UV sets and use a 4k map instead of 8k. Hopefully this will be faster.

I forwarded your issue to

support@3dcoat.com

I'll keep you informed if any news

//edit

Feature request is open:

0001648: Bake scan settings - every UVset need to use their own setting, not a global one.

Currently it's impossible to set custom scan depths per object

• 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Hello, is there any update on fix? It makes pretty impossible to bake more complex objects. I tried to move UVs in UV room back to first UV map but it takes forever and sometimes messes up in paint room. 

Thank you

• Advanced Member

If you already have everything baked, it can mess up everything if you unify UVs. I tried that but process never finished :D. I tried to move one map back to original UV set but messed up my UV in paint room. Sometimes you have smaller object and bigger on one UV and you need to use different baking cage options. I tried to go with name correspondence and all that but I always ended up to bake things separately. In this video polytoots shows the problem from 24:31

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Feature] Baking multiple objects into one UV set