3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Stop vertex welding in retopo room

Marc Wakefield

• Advanced Member

Hi guys! I hope you are all fine and dandy. :)

I am not sure if this should be in feature requests or here as it could well be an option / tick box I have missed.

Is there a way to turn off vertex welding in the retopo room?

I am using the retopo room to alter areas of an existing mesh via "use visible paint object as retopo" to correspond to 3d scanned objects from the sculpt room.

It all seems to work really well but some of the vertices are merging when they get too close.

I need the vertex number and order to stay the same for this object to work as a morph target. Has anyone else come across this "issue".?

Thanks very much in advance.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. 

I was using the brush tool. (At least I think I was.) 

The "problem" seems to have sorted itself out now though. It's all working well and I can't even get the vertices to weld if I try.

Maybe I was using a different tool. 8-/

There's "Brush" and there's "Move" in the [Edit Geometry] fieldset.

Spectacle.L29481.png

Brush only moves vertices within the brush radius (closer centre get moved more, then kind of decreases proportionally going out), Move will move a vertex or edge or face depending on what you select, and will also weld points if you move one close enough to another one and they're within the brush radius (hence the suggestion to make the Brush radius tiny if you need to use Move which I seem to need to do if autosnap is off).  Just to be confusing they look the same and the Move tool uses the Brush radius XD You can tell which one you're using because the Move tool highlights the things it's over with yellow whereas Brush doesn't.

Spectacle.L29481.pngSpectacle.B29481.png

Move is on the left, Brush is on the right.

Glad your problem fixed itself anyway :)

• 7 years later...
Posted (edited)

HI,

Am resurrecting this old thread because I'm wondering the same thing.  I have an object (in the Modeller Room) which has geometry crossing the 'x' centre line, and I'd like to mirror it without any points automatically welding together as I will be adjusting it later. 

Thoughts..?

Cheers

**EDIT...  I've just discovered 'Mesh: Virtual Mirror Mode'. That seems to do what I need, but it doesn't appear to work in conjunction with Live Smooth, so a subdivided version of the mirrored object isn't visible in the Sculpt Room. 

Edited by DMG
  • Confused 1

Hi Oleg,

Thanks. that might help in some circumstances.

The problem I had yesterday was for a pair of eyes which I wanted mirrored—but with overlap—so I could continue to adjust the separation. This wasn't possible with the points automatically welding every time I stopped moving them.

image.png.f7d0bee2f34ebd322bbcb56d42647f60.png  

I ended up using virtual mirror to get it about right, then unlinked the subdivided sculpt mesh, before mirroring it in the Sculpt workspace. 

Cheers Derek

Hi Oleg,

That looks really promising. I like how if polygons are selected, it seems that only those will snap/weld.

I can follow that: Create geometry; apply symmetry; move geometry so it overlaps; each side is still separate parts.

I think the last part which is niggling me is that if I have two spheres overlapping (as in my example above), after deselecting it, and then reselecting the polygons, when I try to move it, the parts which are on the 'wrong' side of the symmetry line don't translate the same as those on the 'right' side of the symmetry line. I have to turn off symmetry to adjust the position, but obviously, this is only going to affect one side.  But this seems to be the normal behaviour for geometry which crosses over the plane of symmetry.

Not perfect, but close enough to call a solution. ;)

Thank you.