3DCoat Forums

Multi-Object performance considerations?

Ethan.noble

Is there a performance overhead associated with having multiple objects within the 3d coat Sculpt scene at one time? I've recently started a character, and planned to begin with a block-in in blender then final detailing and what not in 3d coat.

If I import 700k triangles worth of objects (52 objects) from blender, my frame rate drops by over 100, yet if I import 1.5 million tris worth of chain mail (in a single object) from blender, performance barley even takes a dent. I've attached screenshots to show this. I've had scenes well over 50 million triangles run fine in 3d coat, it's been a dream so far, but I mean ... this might be a bit of a deal breaker for me personally.

Are there any considerations for working with many objects? Is there anything I can do on my end to mitigate this, or is this a fact of life of 3d Coat?

1.png

2.png

Are there any floating vertices not attached to polygons that might have been imported with the scene or 2 point poly chains, in one of your mesh items/layers? If you haven't already, try running a clean up command in blender to check for these kinds of issues. This will definitely slow down 3DC. Also are there any holes in any of the mesh items/layers? This is lesser so to cause problems, but worth looking into. Though I suspect the former issues over this based on the performance drop you mention.