3DCoat Forums

So what workflow do you have when sculpting?

MorganNilsson

Hello! As the title suggests, what is your workflow when sculpting say organics or hardsurface objects in 3D Coat?

Main reason I am starting this thread is because I am still struggling finding a workflow I am comfortable with in 3D Coat, I am used to dynamesh workflow to get my base forms, and then retopoing to a subdiv workflow for refinement and details. Which is something I can't reproduce in 3D Coat. So I am curious how other people approach sculpting with this wonderful piece of software.

Now yes, I could be using a workflow with voxels or liveclay surface, but, I feel I have no control at all and eventually I have an uncontrollable mess where some areas are superdense and others are lowpoly-esque. I have really tried getting used to it, but I still feel like I am playing with fire.

So, fellow 3D Coat'ers... What is your workflow when sculpting? :)

Yeah it can get crazy, quickly! What Tony said works. I also throw in a resampling here and there to evenly distribute polys. The Enter key brings this up in the Sculpt room, fwiw. It's sort of like what you're doing with dynamesh.

I also tend to sculpt with just polygons these days, no voxels, unless I have some weird hole or internal mesh collisions. In which case I'll convert to voxels to remove those areas, then quickly go back to polys. I also turn off Remove Stretching when I start sculpting to keep poly count as low as possible, and turn it on when I need it. I have a hotkey set for toggling this so that way I can do it on the fly while I'm sculpting.

My experience with resampling did not go too well since it totally destroys everything I have done unless I put in higher polycount than what I started with.

Totally forgot that actually sculpting on a decimated mesh in 3D Coat works perfectly fine! That eases some of the problems up, thanks guys :)

6277c1338d70425485fca8edc73216c3.png

http://prnt.sc/cd0uf2

Edited by MorganNilsson