3DCoat Forums

The Motherland Calls

Ziggy72

My first proper sculpt.  I've had a few goes at other things to try out the various parts of the program, but I wanted to make something I know would be hard to Retopo and export as a model - and here she is :)  Still working on the retopo (one segment at a time) but I think she'll look good when she's painted up.  She's based on the Motherland Calls statue in Russia, using a Muvizu character for her pose (imported as an OBJ, voxelized and reworked).  I really wanted to know just how thin I could make the Cloth tool and still retopo it, and it turns out you can go pretty skinny...

Anyway, all feedback welcome.  And thanks for being great, 3D Coat! :D

• Like 4

• Contributor

Aw, what a cute. I love it. :wub:

Whether you'll encounter trouble with retopologizing the cloth or not, will partly depend on your scene scale. Apart of that, I find it's easier to retopo a clothed character when I make a combined voxelized copy of it just for the retopo purpose. So the cloth and the body gets merged together into one volume. Yay! No more backface vertex snapping! Well, just in theory... The problem is, the thinner the cloth is, the greater voxel resolution one will require... and the greater the voxel resolution is, the greater the probability that the body won't merge with the clothes... :D So snapping to clothes' underside can happen in such cases, unless you manually close external gaps in voxel volume in order to make the volume watertight. And then fill voids and close invisible hulls to fill any "air pockets" that are inside that watertight volume. Oh, humanity. :)

Edited by ajz3d

• 4 weeks later...