3DCoat Forums

Cuda Performs worse on my GTX 1080

Calabi

• Advanced Member

So I decided to just mess about with 3D Coat and I'm using the Steam Version Direct X, and it turns out with Cuda the brushes in voxel mode are way slower than without.  In OpenGL I cant perceive any different between Cuda off and on.

Is there something wrong with my setup or something wrong with the software.  I am using latest drivers and a I5-4690k, 16GB Ram an SSD Hardrive. 

• Reputable Contributor

Granted, Andrew hasn't recompiled CUDA in 3D Coat, so it probably isn't going to work as optimal as it would if he recompiled it for CUDA 7 or so. However, I recently bought a GTX 1070, and was using the SCRAPE brush on a 35mill poly object, and noticed that it was insanely fast. I thought...."is this really CUDA doing the work?" I then went to the GEOMETRY menu > turned CUDA off > tried again, and there was a night and day difference. I don't know if it's because the Pascal cards have such high clock speeds and memory speeds, but even with 3D Coat on CUDA 1, that was a major difference. My CPU is a 6-core i7 970 OC'ed to 4Ghz, and 32GB of RAM...so it's not like the CPU is a slouch.

It isn't consistent throughout all Voxel brushes, either. Some of it depends on the alpha used, whether falloff and smoothing is applied, etc.The other thing I would add, though, is that CUDA overall, contributes very little to the sculpting experience because it is limited to Voxel brushes. Not the Move, Transform or Pose tool...although I have asked Andrew about using CUDA on these, because they need it as much, if not more than the Voxel brushes. I'm now convinced that if Andrew recompiled his CUDA code to be updated to CUDA 6.5 or newer, and expanded it to all the tools in the Sculpt room that it could be utilized on....3D Coat would be an absolute BEAST in terms of sculpting performance!

Andrew has focused only on Surface mode brushes for the past several years, and that is why there are many more surface mode brushes.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I didn't realise it didn't work with all the voxel brush's.  But its weird I'm getting no better performance difference with the scrape brush but it behaves differently with cuda on and off.  Cuda on in soft scrape its soft, with cuda off its more harder.

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, Calabi said:

I didn't realise it didn't work with all the voxel brush's.  But its weird I'm getting no better performance difference with the scrape brush but it behaves differently with cuda on and off.  Cuda on in soft scrape its soft, with cuda off its more harder.

If you would, please mention your findings in an email to Andrew (support@3dcoat.com). I have been trying to get him to update/recompile and expand CUDA in 3D Coat for years, and he brushes it off every time. It's largely because he thinks it is wasted time, when Surface mode brushes is where all the attention has been placed since the V3 days, back around 2008 or so. We really need not only CUDA to be updated and optimized, but for him to try and mirror as many of the Surface mode brushes as he can, to Voxel mode. There are time where I have to switch to Voxel mode, in order to merge parts/objects together and I'd like to be able to stay in voxel mode for a while before switching back. But you almost have to, because the brushes in Voxel mode aren't really up to the task (compared to surface mode brushes).

• Like 1