3DCoat Forums

[Feature] Liquify tool

geo_n

• Advanced Member

I'm doing some  very low poly painting for mobile games. Mostly projection and I wanted to use 3dcoat more but can't seem to find a tool like liquify which I still use a lot in PS. So I'm going back and forth with PS and LW to use liquify to fix texture projections.

Smudge is not really doing a good job in 3dcoat. Distort only works during projection and you cant use it to fix textures already applied to a mesh afaik.

I found some threads related to this

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7515-transforming-texture-layers/#comment-57259

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10395-v41-beta-experimental-4117d/&page=136#comment-103488

Does liquify exist now maybe I just missed it in 3dcoat.

• Reputable Contributor

The SHIFT LAYER tool would be the closest thing, but Andrew needs to add a true SHIFT pixels function...not just a blurring/smudging option. If you crank up the DEGREE (maybe between 5-10, rather than .5) in the Tool Options panel, you might be able to finesse it a bit...although it is not a direct equivalent to the Liquefy tool. If he would enable the user to see the actual textures in the UV room, you could then use the BRUSH mode to do a similar thing using verts on you UV's.

In the mean time, the Transform/Copy tool does allow you copy > manipulate the copy with a gizmo > replace it or place it elsewhere. Another option is to use EDIT > Edit Projections in external Editor > use Liquefy in PS > SAVE. The downside to that is if you need to manipulate more than one channel in the process.

• Advanced Member

The shift layer tool has the smudge I tried. The pixels get really blurry.

Transform tool is neat but probably will be more steps in this case.
I can't touch the uvs in this case since the mesh is a template so is the uv so only the textures can be manipulated to conform to the mesh. A dozen different pants to conform to this mesh. Lol

After 4 version of 3dcoat its too bad we don't have a real Liquify tool in 3dcoat. Maybe 3dcoat 5 will have it.
Guess I'll have to keep doing the PS liquify and reload image in Lw workflow for now. :(

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, geo_n said:

The shift layer tool has the smudge I tried. The pixels get really blurry.

Transform tool is neat but probably will be more steps in this case.
I can't touch the uvs in this case since the mesh is a template so is the uv so only the textures can be manipulated to conform to the mesh. A dozen different pants to conform to this mesh. Lol

After 4 version of 3dcoat its too bad we don't have a real Liquify tool in 3dcoat. Maybe 3dcoat 5 will have it.
Guess I'll have to keep doing the PS liquify and reload image in Lw workflow for now. :(

You can't just use the EDIT menu > Edit Projection in External Editor (Photoshop)? It's pretty easy and simple. You should view 3D Coat and PS as extensions of one another, as the integration is really good. I think Andrew may be working on Layer masks, so you could send him an email asking for a proper SHIFT pixels (not smudge) option in the SHIFT LAYER tool, so it works more like Liquefy in PS.

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, geo_n said:

Yes its possible. But I wanted to eliminate PS from the process. So I can just stay in 3dcoat. No shuffling back and forth.
Distort is pretty close to liquify but we can't use it on existing layer textures, only current projection.

Understood. Still, you probably want to ask Andrew for that while he is working in that part of the app. Doesn't seem like it would be a tall task to create a copy of the Smudge tool button and generate a new tool/button from it, calling it SHIFT. This time, rather than smearing the pixels, just do as the name implies.

• 3 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Well its been 4 years of going back and forth 3dc and ps.  A new version of 3dcoat coming out. Can a liquify shift tool be created inside 3dcoat to be used in the viewport? This would be a godsend to game texture artists that do hand painted textures.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Feature] Liquify tool