3DCoat Forums

Can't figure out how to cut a curve along the shape of a sphere

rooattack

Hi everyone,

I am having the biggest problem trying to figure out how to cut a curve along the shape of sphere. I am trying to mimic the curve on the Rinzler helmet from Tron (see attachments). I feel like I've tried everything and pulling my hair out. I just need to cut along a curved form, like cut a shape along a sphere, but whenever you do that, it just cuts a small chunk out. I the only thing I can do it keep cutting multiple parts out of the sphere but it isn't fluid. This is where Maya and other 3D programs seem so much easier because you can just select polygons and bend them to a certain form. Sculpting in 3D coat seems so difficult to do this. 

I have attached the base model I am starting with, another shot of a curve im trying to cut out, and the tron helmet. The curves on the helmet seem so complex even though it looks simple. Any help is VERY appreciated. I'm actually getting this manufactured so I would love any feedback.

Thank you everyone!

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 7.42.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 7.41.00 PM.png

Tron-Legacy-Rinzler-02-e1349825214686.jpg

ec2de6b03c9528932ac3909b5a099553.jpg

29 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

You mean you want to create an indent that looks like the part is separated? If so, you are using the wrong draw mode. Use the Spline Stroke draw mode:

No, I mean I want to cut out a piece of the sphere but follow it along the curve of the sphere. I know how to make things look separated by splitting them or creating indents. I'm talking about the shape of the helmet, not the splits in it. Look at how the helmet curves. From a sphere, you would need to somehow cut out that shape and following the curvature of the sphere so it doesn't just cut out a little chunk of the sphere. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 8.02.44 PM.png

• Reputable Contributor

There are so many different tools you could use, but what I would probably try first is use the Freeze tool, in Surface mode, to make the selection with the Close Spline or 3D Spline draw mode > Invert selection (CTRL + SHIFT + I...just like in Photoshop, or invert from the FREEZE Menu) > Smooth the selection from the FREEZE menu if needed > use the Polish brush from the PRESET Panel to softy trim only the selected area. The Extrude brush can extrude along vertex normal and such, but I think the first technique is what I would try.

The other option is to use the POSE tool > PAINT SELECT mode > use either the standard gizmo to flatten the selection a bit, or use the FreeForm Lattice for more control

12 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

There are so many different tools you could use, but what I would probably try first is use the Freeze tool, in Surface mode, to make the selection with the Close Spline or 3D Spline draw mode > Invert selection (CTRL + SHIFT + I...just like in Photoshop, or invert from the FREEZE Menu) > Smooth the selection from the FREEZE menu if needed > use the Polish brush from the PRESET Panel to softy trim only the selected area. The Extrude brush can extrude along vertex normal and such, but I think the first technique is what I would try.

The other option is to use the POSE tool > PAINT SELECT mode > use either the standard gizmo to flatten the selection a bit, or use the FreeForm Lattice for more control

Thank you so much! I will try those. I know its going to take a while for me to figure out how to actually apply those tools to this situation, but you've given me great direction. Here's another example of what I'm doing

IMG_7283.JPG

Man...i ran into a crappy bug. Whenever I freeze something then choose another tool, it corrupts the selection into this weird blocky thing. This has happened with the model itself on another bug I submitted that corrupts the model itself. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 11.46.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 11.47.03 AM.png

Edited by rooattack

• Reputable Contributor

These videos might also give you some ideas:

In Surface Mode, you can use the Flatten Brush in a similar manner as the PLANE tool, in Voxel Mode. Just click the ON PLANE option in the Tool Bar (just above the Viewport), when the Flatten Brush is active. Between the Hide, Plane/Flatten and Cutoff tools + Pose tool (Swiss Army modeling tool in 3D Coat), you can create some really amazing shapes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

These videos might also give you some ideas:

In Surface Mode, you can use the Flatten Brush in a similar manner as the PLANE tool, in Voxel Mode. Just click the ON PLANE option in the Tool Bar (just above the Viewport), when the Flatten Brush is active. Between the Hide, Plane/Flatten and Cutoff tools + Pose tool (Swiss Army modeling tool in 3D Coat), you can create some really amazing shapes

I think you answered my question. Thats exactly what i needed, I think. That's really interesting. I can't get it just right quite yet but I think that solution is the answer if I can get it to work how I need

• Reputable Contributor

You could also use VoxLayer (using the Spline) tool, to create a surface copy on it's own layer > drag and drop that layer into the MODELS Pallet. Now, you have a copy that you can reuse later or on other projects. But what I might try to do, by way of experimenting, is create a new blank layer > choose the PRIMITIVES tool > click the object in the MODELS pallet, you just created. It is now a Freeform Deformation Primitive. You can adjust the number of FFD Lattice control points and shape it how you like. Now, you can use this as a cutting object by selecting SUBTRACT mode in the Tool Options panel (upper right drop list menu). With the helmet layer selected, when you hit APPLY or the ENTER key, this object will simply cut the helmet with this object.

• Like 1