3DCoat Forums

Wacom MobileStudio Pro

• 2 years later...

I have a 16 inch version. I find it rather sluggish in comparison to my workstation. On light 3D work it will do the job.
Don't expect it to be smooth on bigger scenes...the cpu is not that great. 16 is more than enough, big scenes that need that much ram, are not workable on the wacom.

If 3D is your main work, I would search for a better cpu based laptop. Like the new 4core or 6cores.  I'd much rather have got a top tier laptop + a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro Drawing Tablet With Screen vs the all-in-one. I use it mainly for drawing and touch ups.

Note: portable it's fine for sketches, when doing intensive work you need to plug in. I bought one of those laptop stance with ventilation to fight the heat throttling.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I actually handled one at one of Annex Pro's events in a night club around a year and a half ago.

It was pretty heavy.  And very expensive.  

You would be better off doing this;

1. Buy a used Teradici 2 card off of eBay.

608273050_teradici2.thumb.JPG.78cb761c430e8e811b467ef4422774c5.JPG

2. Install it on your home workstation PCIE slot. 

3. Buy an IPAD Pro 12.9". $999.00 USD. This will give you a pencil or scribe that rivals the Wacom pen and a Retina screen that is basically 4k.  It's easy to pack with you wherever you go, super lightweight and just the right size.

4. Download the Teradici app for iOS. 

http://www.teradici.com/web-help/pcoip_mobile_client/ios_tablets/1.5.1/release_notes/

5. Log into your home computer from any decent internet connection world wide. Now you can turn on your computer, literally power it up and shut it down from anywhere on earth. Once logged into your computer your iPad Pro will be a virtual client with all the functionality of your home workstation. They're saying 60fps

"

Teradici Tera2220 PCoIP Host Card

• Specs: 2.713 x 6.8 in.; requires single PCIe slot

(x1, x4, x8 or x16); maximum resolution: two displays at 1920 x 1200 at 60Hz; frame rate: 60fps; includes 128MB memory; consumes 13 watts

There are other alternatives including a monitor on a stand that contains a Teradici Zero Client in it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-t310-AIO-TERA-2321-PCoIP-Zero-Client-512MB-512-MB-DDR3-SDRAM-J2N80AT/152769462418?epid=691469029&hash=item2391c50092:g:wvsAAOSwGwlZ-gX8

You could use all your programs, Maya 3D Coat Zbrush, Houdini on your iPad or any cheap laptop or even that zero client.

tera.thumb.JPG.f3bb3c57390141cee39ecc28bbb83bd1.JPG

This is the technology that hundreds of thousands of engineers use worldwide for Catia and Siemens NX. The movie industry, (ILM) uses this extensively as well.

https://www.digitalengineering247.com/article/access-your-workstation-from-anywhere/

tera2.thumb.JPG.4acf6cc5bb7230c49554dbbc33ca9370.JPG

• Contributor

Huh? $ 3000 is much more than I paid seven years ago for my 3930K/64GB GTX660Ti workstation in a top notch Antec case, 24" Eizo monitor,  Intuos 4 Pro M and other components and peripherals. :blink:

This price is simply... insane. :rofl:

Edited by ajz3d

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 3/8/2019 at 1:35 AM, haohange said:

I have a 16 inch version. I find it rather sluggish in comparison to my workstation. On light 3D work it will do the job.
Don't expect it to be smooth on bigger scenes...the cpu is not that great. 16 is more than enough, big scenes that need that much ram, are not workable on the wacom.

If 3D is your main work, I would search for a better cpu based laptop. Like the new 4core or 6cores.  I'd much rather have got a top tier laptop + a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro Drawing Tablet With Screen vs the all-in-one. I use it mainly for drawing and touch ups.

Note: portable it's fine for sketches, when doing intensive work you need to plug in. I bought one of those laptop stance with ventilation to fight the heat throttling.

You know that XP Pen series are really great value for the dollar. I've seen other Wacom competitors and didn't think much fo them but these are really good, even the tablets...they're just dirt cheap.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Those are crazy low prices. Just to compare; the wacom Intuos pads are like $600 now...

That Artist  Display 22E Pro comes with a good stand, better than teh stock Cintique, it's 1920 x 1080 pixels, comes with a glove, a 8000 pressure level pen for $569 USD. And it looks like it's better quality than the Huion.

1560664165_xppen2.thumb.JPG.a30fcd3eecccb25b0871e7d0346d643b.JPG1042746940_xppen1.thumb.JPG.bb86f7327da408fe5a71061a3105d001.JPG

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1