3DCoat Forums

How to properly overlap UV's?

DavideBianchini

Hey guys,

New 3D Coat user here. I have a UV map made in zbrush (see example image below), and I would like to straighten the strips so I can overlap them *see second image).

In Maya, I believe this process is done using "Unitize" and "Move and Sew UV Edges" (see image below).

I was wondering how this is possible in 3D Coat?

Thanks! 

zbrush_hair_7.jpg

zbrush_hair_8.jpg

I've had the same problem and the copy function doesn't do too well if there's some difference in geometry. Even if you did get them straightened you would still need to stack them and there are no snapping options in the UV Preview. I ended up using blender. Here's a link about straightening in blender: http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/41132/how-do-i-straighten-uv-maps

There are also snapping options in it's UV tools.

Hope that helps.

Ok, I made a test OBJ of 5 strips and was able to straighten the edge-loops per the instructions above. However, when I copy and paste, the islands do not paste on top of each other.  The strips all remain non-overlapping.

What I need is for them to overlap. These strips will be used to create hair, so there may be dozens or hundreds of strips in total. This is why I need them to overlap. 

I have attached below what the final result looks like in Maya (see image) of a full head of hair, using this tutorial

My goal is to create game-ready hair. So I am sort of stumbling my way through this process.

Thanks again for the great assist,

Davide

Untitled-2.jpg

zbrush_hair_91.jpg

Edited by DavideBianchini

• 2 years later...
  • Contributor
On 10/15/2016 at 10:41 AM, Carlosan said:

Hi !

Select all UVislands in UV preview

UVislands.jpg

Use Selected > ToPlanar

ToPlanar.jpg

Then Select > copy

Copy.jpg

And paste

Paste.jpg

I have tried to use your example above to hopefully organize the UVs to create better displacement/less cracks painting in PPP mode with heightmaps but for some reason it doesn't align the UVs tight together like the last image . I'm using version 4.8.25 GL64

What I need is for them to overlap. These strips will be used to create hair, so there may be dozens or hundreds of strips in total. This is why I need them to overlap. 

Since you're using Maya, I would suggest the following then, as it pretty easy and fast to do in it: select each Island below the top first one, in 'w' for move tool, hold down 'd' for temporary pivot pick (in UV editor of course, not in a 3D view), pick the top left corner uv; release 'd', hold 'v' and move over the top island top-left corner: this will snap and stack them (since they have the same vertical thickness). Rince and repeat for the next island. Just be sure to paint over the longest one (horizontally) ;)

But... unless you intent to use the rest of your texture space to paint something else, you might ask yourself if that's really the best choice? I mean, having 4 or 5 non-stacked hair trims, as you currently have, do have the advantage of giving a bi more variation (though for hair that might not be that noticeable, depends I guess).