3DCoat Forums

Advice On Sword Modeling

itsateben

Okay, I throw my hands up. Calling for open advice!

So I've been working on a weapon model and I drew up some reference, brought it into 3D-Coat, ready to do some voxel sculpting.

Almost immediately I hit a brick wall.

So here's what I'm trying to pull off. This is a screenshot of the sculpt shortly after doing a little cutting to match the silhouette.

exA.png

As you can see from the reference drawing, the sword's blade transitions from a thick depth at the back to a tapering edge at the front. My plan was to narrow that thick front plane down to a fine edge...you know, like any sword. Here's another image:

exB.png

The complexity of this edge is such that I have yet to find any great method of cleanly performing this operation. Pose tool, cutting off at specific angles, rebuilding the edge with curves, etc...all of these methods have been failures or felt really impractical. The only other thing I've been able to think of so far is just getting in there and free handing it to perfection. I went on a number of searches to find advice on blades, beveling in general, etc...I didn't turn up much help. I found a lot of advice on beveling, but none of the methods were quite adequate to recreating this exact geometry. Frustrated, I just went ahead and built the thing with traditional modeling. I'll put a shot of that up just as a further example of how I wanted it to look:

exC.png

But, the fact that I couldn't figure out a great solution to this really drives me crazy and I'm still trying to figure it out. I'd like to be able to rely on 3D-Coat from the ground up, since I really love the feel of working in it otherwise, but hitting such a hard wall right away on a pretty simple model made me feel like I ought to be using it in more of a secondary role.

I'd love to see if anyone has any great advice here; anyone know how to pull this off nice and cleanly?

Let me know if I can clarify anything for you.

• 2 years later...