3DCoat Forums

New machine slower than old one sometimes

Jimab

I just bought a new machine with 16 gig ram, i7 processor, and ssd. The graphics card is Radeon  B629 but creating occlusion is slower than on my old system. Latest release of 3dc. Ideas on some kind of settings I may have overlooked?

On 10/28/2016 at 7:44 AM, jim abshire said:

Windows 7, sp1 64bit. 3DC 4.7.06. Unknown on the drivers(best way to get these?). Looking under textures, ambient occlusion does not have a field for cpu/gpu. I am using dx version of 3dc.

Thanks. The drivers would be for your video card. Could you tell us what your video card is? If you're using a Nvidia you can find the driver version in the Nvidia control panel. It'll tell you if you're using the latest version or not,Also use the latest 3DC build, it is 4.7.11. The AO process has been changed since the version you're using.

Hi Javis, I checked and there have been no driver updates for my card for a couple of years, so the tip that it is an old card is a good one. As of right now, I only see the download which I already have - 4.7.06 - on the downloads page.

7 hours ago, jim abshire said:

Hi Javis, I checked and there have been no driver updates for my card for a couple of years, so the tip that it is an old card is a good one. As of right now, I only see the download which I already have - 4.7.06 - on the downloads page.

Hi Jim, if you confirm your GPU it's the HD3450 it's a 2008 card with no OpenCL support.

If you want to stay cheap you can go for used or new Nvidia GTX 750Ti/950/1050 or AMD R7 260X/R9 270/R7 370/RX 460

You can of course find plenty of more powerful yet cheap card in the used market. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...