3DCoat Forums

UV map issue

olmi57

Which is the texture resolution ? Is one model with separate meshes for game ?

The UVPreview show an uvlayout with high poly density... i dont know if is ok for your texture size. 

It's important to make sure that your mapping keeps a consistent aspect ratio for the pixel size in the texture map.

You could make pixel density larger on the UV map, or you could split up the UVs onto different maps adding different textures (one UVlaoyut for every surface material).

Increasing of texture resolution helped, Carlo, thanks a lot.

Could you please explain :

"It's important to make sure that your mapping keeps a consistent aspect ratio for the pixel size in the texture map. You could make pixel density larger on the UV map, ..."

Great link, Carlo, thanks.

Another issue : Just loaded an obj file (2M polygons) for PPP, texture size 8192, imported fine with all paint objects and surface materials present. Filled "layer 1" with smart material, worked fine as well. Now, switching in the surface material editor from "Body" to "Wood" messed up the whole mesh. Strange.Loco_1.jpgLoco_2.jpg

Sorry, don't remember this anymore, Carlo.

But here's the whole workflow :

1. Pure Mesh imported in Layer 0, new Layer "Body" created, "Body" marked in surface materials, all paint objects visible.

2. Smart material "Black Metal" chosen for painting.

3. "Fill Whole Layer", i.e. marked Layer "Body".

4. Layer "Body" filled with Smart material "Black Metal", fine. "Layer 0" still visible.

5. New layer "wood", "Layer 0" unvisible now, surface material "body" visible, all others not.

6. Surface material "body" visible, Surface material "wood" clicked for visibility -> mess !

Thanks again, Carlo, for your patience with a newbie.

Oliver.

Loco_3.jpg

Loco_4.jpg

Loco_5.jpg

Loco_6.jpg

Loco_7.jpg

3. "Fill > Surface Material", marked Surface Material Name "Body".

4. Layer "Body" filled with Smart material "Metal", fine. "Layer 0" still visible.

5. New layer "wood", "Layer 0" visible now, surface material "body" visible, all others visible.

6. "Fill > Surface Material", marked Surface Material Name "Wood".

4. Layer "Wood" filled with Smart material "Wood", fine.

6. Surface material "body" visible, Surface material "wood" visible.

Loco.jpg

Thanks, Carlos, for your efforts !

Leaving the "Layer" and "Surface Material" visibility untouched and only working with marking Layers and locking/unlocking of the Surface Materials I succeded to fill without distortions.

Happy with the result I saved as 3b file, closed, reopened and ... the nightmare returned.

Did you try to save and reopen your work as 3b file ?

BTW, I use the OpenGL 4.7.06 64bit version with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Card, Win10 64bit.

Loco_10.jpg

Loco_11.jpg

Loco_14.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Use the fill tool and in the dialog box choose "Surface Material". Select the one you desire to fill. Do not use fill "Layer" 

There is no need to lock and unlock or hide suface materials or layers unless you desire so.

l created as you were doing a separate layer for each surface material. Used the fill tool and selected the correct "Surface Material" that corresponded with my layer name which is the same as the surface material name. I do this to keep things logical. 

I had no problems in filling correctly the smart materials. Of course you might have resize the smart material to fit the scale of your model.

I am pretty much telling you what Carlosan said but though you might have misunderstood his answer.

I also saved the 3DC file and reopened it with no problems.

I checked your texel density of the uv set and it appears that the uv-islands are all the same texel density. I used the complex checker in the uv room to check. hard to see on the small pieces but it appears they are the same. If this is your intended desire then you are ok .

The smart material will be applied to the same scale to each uv island. 

fillbox.PNG

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Ty, digman, I indeed misunderstood Carlos, my fault.

So, I followed your and Carlos' advice, everything worked fine, saved as 3b file, reopened and ... distorted again. Is there something to keep in mind with the save process ?

BTW, I'm currently using the trial version of 3D Coat.