3DCoat Forums

Weird "fractures" when hiding surfaces

ryivhnn

Hello again! How has everyone been? I've been busy trying to do a mouth cavity, one of my "favourite" things XD

So anyway I was trying to hide pretty much everything else so I could a) see what I was doing and b ) so the brush would stop affecting things in the distance that I didn't want it to affect (but that it would do anyway because it simply refuses to deal with things at a certain closeness to the "camera") when this happened:

Spectacle.f31113.png

I can eventually make it go away and it doesn't appear to have any ill effect (if I unhide everything and wireframe I can't see anything wrong anywhere), I'm more curious about what causes it and could it be related to this thing that happens where every now and again, particularly if I'm working close or on a particularly thin part, a voxel or something will fly off into the stratosphere causing this random skinny spike that the easiest way to fix is undo? I haven't yet worked out how to avoid either of these problems but can muddle around them at least.

Possibly related, while I've been trying to hide things, sometimes there appears to be an invisible surface/object in the way when I'm trying to hide surfaces, I'll be brushing over them but they refuse to go away.  I can brush over them with one of the sculpt brushes from the same distance but the hide surface brush acts on something else that I can't see whichever way I rotate.

Hopefully will finish the teeth tonight or tomorrow so I can paint this one up and rig it!

Bigger model scale as in make the model bigger or modify some setting somewhere? This one is about 1.5m or so in Blender but I don't know what that translates into in 3dc.  It seems to import them tiny (or at least in some way that I can't see them) and then asks me something about scale, I tell it to keep the scale and then the imported model appears/is enlarged.

Thanks for always being helpful :)

I scaled the model up a bit which has helped with the near plane clipping annoyance.  The fractures are still happening when I'm surface hiding or working through or in the vicinity of a hidden surface is (which is a little disruptive).

Spectacle.J17745.png

The frazzled bits in the above pic were hidden earlier, and reappeared like that when I started hiding the partially hidden neat part next to it.  They also do that when I'm sculpting, and can be affected by brushes.  I rehide it but sometimes have to angle just so in ways I don't yet understand (still trying to get a handle on the surface hide brush, didn't think it would be that hard, have never felt so stupid using a tool before XD)